Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 02:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A batch of cookies was divided among three tins: 2/3 of all

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: PS Word Problem [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 17:02
Yep, see it now. thanks TeHCM :wink:

TeHCM wrote:
Antmavel wrote:
TeHCM wrote:
A batch of cookies was divided among three tins: 2/3 of all the cookies were placed in either the blue tin or the green tin, and the rest were placed in the red tin. If 1/4 of all the cookies were placed in the blue tin, what fraction of the cookies that were placed in the other tins were placed in the green tin?

if we say the cookies are in either the blue tin or the green tin, it means that they can only be in one of them, not both or not shared. So how come you can get 1/4 later in the blue tin ? i don't get this one :oops:

The question said 2/3 of all the cookies were placed in either the blue tin or the green tin. Not ALL the cookies were placed in blue or green.

Also, it was stated in the first sentence that "A batch of cookies was divided among 3 tins...". Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: PS Word Problem [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 19:06
So what's the answer?

I think Titliest's approach is the right one..

is the OA - D??
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: PS Word Problem [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 19:32
strange wrote:
So what's the answer?

I think Titliest's approach is the right one..

is the OA - D??

I've already posted the answer. OA is 5/9, C :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Re: PS Word Problem [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 05:58
Saw this in Kaplan 800 (2007-2008 edition page 286). I was confused as well, but now I see that the confusion comes from not reading the question carefully. The confusion is based on what "other tins" refers to.
This is an example of how reading comprehension comes to play in the quantitative part!

P.S. Wow! I just realized it's 4 days away from the 4th anniversary since the previous post!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: PS Word Problem [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 08:01
Same here mendelay (regarding the anniversary)! I'm glad I've completed b-school and moved on with my life!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 52

A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 11:54
Hi everyone, I am having understanding part of the solution to this problem.

A batch of cookies was divided among three tins: 2/3 of all the cookies were placed in either the blue tin or the green tin, and the rest were placed in the red tin. if 1/4 of all cookies were placed in the blue tin, what fraction of the cookies that were placed in the other tins were placed in the green tin?

A)15/2
b)9/4
c)5/9
d)7/5
e)9/7

I realized that all the numerators are greater that their denominators, but my questions is, when I read kaplan's explanations, why it used this formula, green cookies/ green and red cookies, and it did not consider the blue cookies in the formula?

Thank you in advance

Sky is the limit

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 13:31
The answer is C. The question asks “what fraction of the cookies that were placed in the other tins were placed in the green tin?” This means what fraction of the cookies not placed in the blue tin were in the green tin.
To solve subtract ¼ from 2/3. (This will give you the percentage of cookies in the green tin over all the cookies (blue, green and red). This equals 5/12. Then divide this number by the total number of cookies in both the green and red tin (or not the blue tin). This number equals (total number of cookies in both the green and red tin) 9/12. (5/12 +1/3).
Then divide 5/12 by 9/12 and you get 5/9
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 05:49
ok.. the wordings really confused me too on this one..its only when i read the q the 10th time i understood the ask...

if 1/4 of all cookies were placed in the blue tin, what fraction of the cookies that were placed in the other tins

means other tins is 1 - 1/4 = 3/4

were placed in the green tin? = 5/12

=> 5/12 / 3/4 = 5/9
Director
Director
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 42

Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 06:53
if you read the highlighted sentence carefully , you will see "blue tin" is the main topic of the sentence . hence other over there refers to anything but blue(i.e R & G)

so basically what they are trying to ask is what fraction of R & G is G

B+G = 2/3
B = 1/4 => G = 2/3 - 1/4 = 5/12
R = 1/3

=> G/(R+G) = (5/12)/(1/3+5/12) = 5/9

Answer is C.

manalq8 wrote:
Hi everyone, I am having understanding part of the solution to this problem.

A batch of cookies was divided among three tins: 2/3 of all the cookies were placed in either the blue tin or the green tin, and the rest were placed in the red tin. if 1/4 of all cookies were placed in the blue tin, what fraction of the cookies that were placed in the other tins were placed in the green tin?

A)15/2
b)9/4
c)5/9
d)7/5
e)9/7

I realized that all the numerators are greater that their denominators, but my questions is, when I read kaplan's explanations, why it used this formula, green cookies/ green and red cookies, and it did not consider the blue cookies in the formula?

Thank you in advance
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, Insead, Harvard, Wharton

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 08:17
Hi, This is my first post on GMATclub. I have joined mastergmat's online course and it seems to be working fine. Solved this question using the Pluggin In method (one of Mastergmat's many clever ways of tackling such questions).

Assuming that the total number of cookies is 24, the number of cookies of each color can be found out. Thus, we have 6 for Blue, 10 for green and 8 for red. The answer thus can be calculated as (R+B)/G= 14/10=7/5.

Done in 34 seconds.
Re: A batch of cookies   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2011, 08:17