Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

a bit of a dilemma (or am I over analyzing)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Kellogg, Olin All PT
WE 1: Tech/Manufacturing
WE 2: Tech/Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

a bit of a dilemma (or am I over analyzing) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 14:09
I will be starting at Booth this fall.
A month or so ago, I saw a posting for a technical volunteer role.
The industry is something I'm looking to break into so I thought it would be a great way to get my foot in the door.
I eventually got in touch with the CEO and it turns out he's a Booth alumni (great news), but he was also looking for volunteers for some other marketing type things (of no interest to me).
A team from Booth got in touch with him regarding those other volunteer roles and are now working on it as a quarter project. Since the marketing type things would be VERY closely tied to what I am doing, the CEO expects me to work with the team.

The way I see it, since Booth really does not encourage ANY kind of interaction prior to the beginning of classes, would it be a faux-pas if I continued with this project? Would I in anyway piss the Optima team off? Am I overanalyzing?

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

"The distribution is fat-tailed relative to the normal distribution"
~ Eugene Fama Professor of Finance, University of Chicago Booth School of Business

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

Re: a bit of a dilemma (or am I over analyzing) [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 05:23
You have started, so you should finish. The interaction has already taken place, so I imagine backing down would do more damage.

I am somewhat confused about whether you are doing something you want and how this other volunteer group fit in. Also, you might find commiting to this during your first semester is a challenge (I would bet the MBA team working with the firm is 2nd years).

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Kellogg, Olin All PT
WE 1: Tech/Manufacturing
WE 2: Tech/Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

Re: a bit of a dilemma (or am I over analyzing) [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 06:05
That is true...
This is definitely something I want.. a break into an industry through my known and proven skills and room to grow as I learn the ropes and gain some knowledge.

The other volunteer group would work on the overall strategy and direction while I would be one of the grunts :)
These individuals ARE 2nd years yes, but this is something that I am working on now and will hopefully be done with most of the stuff before the fall.
I committed though and have no plans on backing out
3underscore wrote:
You have started, so you should finish. The interaction has already taken place, so I imagine backing down would do more damage.

I am somewhat confused about whether you are doing something you want and how this other volunteer group fit in. Also, you might find commiting to this during your first semester is a challenge (I would bet the MBA team working with the firm is 2nd years).

"The distribution is fat-tailed relative to the normal distribution"
~ Eugene Fama Professor of Finance, University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 53

Reviews Badge
Re: a bit of a dilemma (or am I over analyzing) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 14:32
You didn't seek interaction prior to the school year, and you didn't meet them through a Booth channel, it was purely happenstance that the group you were assigned to work with is also from Booth. I think you are ok.

As a side note, I worked for the ad agency here in Scottsdale that handled Optima (I know they're based in Chicago, but there is a Scottsdale property as well) and I will say the owners are lovely people, very easy to work with and very straight-forward which is nice. I'm sure it will be a great opportunity.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: a bit of a dilemma (or am I over analyzing)   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2010, 14:32