Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A bit of advise please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A bit of advise please! [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2005, 12:18
Ladies n Gents,

I am planning to take the GMAT in about 3 months. The goal is to do well (700+). Owing to a science background, I feel quite confident in the quant section. Therefore, verbal is where I am going to invest a good chunk of my time.

I have decided to begin my preparations with the OG. Now, if I were to just follow the OG, would I be adequately prepared for the tough questions of the verbal sections in the real GMAT?

Any tips, comments would be appreciated.

Cheers
Vic
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2005, 13:52
Consider buying the MGMAT SC guide (http://www.manhattangmat.com) and an LSAT book for CR and RC.

Good luck
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2005, 15:12
I would recommend PR's Verbal Workout book, and/or their regular Cracking the GMAT book, which comes with several practice tests on a CD (and access to another one online). The practice questions in the Workout book and Cracking don't overlap, so along with the OG you'd have plenty of practice. PR is the best for GMAT verbal.

If you need help in grammar for SC, I would also get Grammar Smart.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2005, 21:44
Cheers for your help guys.

Nickelback, a buddy of mine has lent me the PR's Verbal Workout book (First edition) and the 2003 edition of Cracking the GMAT book.

Would they do or should I get the latest ones?

Thanks for you help.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2005, 09:18
Sorry, I somehow missed your question to me!

I think the version of Verbal Workout is fine if it isn't more than a few years old. The 2003 Cracking book should be ok too, but the 2006 one will have tests with mostly or all new questions, I would imagine, so it wouldn't hurt to pick up that one too for extra practice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2005, 18:48
I took my GMAT in Oct this year. The 2 key books I used were PR Cracking the GMAT (2002 ed) and OG 10th ed. Both books were passed to me by a dear friend in 2002/2003. (The only book I bought was the Kaplan 2005 edition, and that's because I wanted the CD-Rom.)

And I get 700+ for my actual test. Personally, I think the versions of the materials don't matter much. What is important is to get good publishers' materials.

However, for your case, it is a bit tricky since you are taking the "new" GMAT. But if we take what ETS says at face value - that the content of the GMAT is still the same - then I think it is ok with the materials that you have.

You can also check your local library to see if they have newer editions, if you don't wish to spend the money. For course, don't expect that they have the latest editions.
  [#permalink] 07 Dec 2005, 18:48