Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jan 2015, 08:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Blah Test Day!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A Blah Test Day!!! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2015, 13:35
Hi,

I wanted to share my GMAT Experience on this forum to get myself out of the misery.

I did my GMAT preparation for nearly 3 months and today was my scheduled test.

Before disclosing my actual results, I wanted to share my Mock CAT results, which are as follows:

1. Kaplan CAT 1: 510 (Q: 36; V: 22)
2. GMATPREP 1: 380 (Q: 28; V:16)
3. Kaplan CAT 2: 530 (Q: 42; V: 16)
4. Kaplan CAT 3: 580 (Q: 44; V: 26)
5. Kaplan CAT 4: 590 (Q: 44; V: 26)
6. GMATPREP 2: 550 (Q: 44; V:23)
7. MGMAT 1: 570 (Q: 42; V:27)
8. Kaplan CAT 5: 550 (Q: 43; V: 19)

These mocks are listed in a manner as actually taken.

Mind you all, GMAT is the only real competitive exam I have ever taken. I have a undergraduate Hospitality degree with an experience of 4 years and I plan to pursue an MBA degree with an intend to change my career path.

My actual GMAT SCORE : 500 (Q: 32; V: 25)

I don't what went wrong I was pretty confident to score at least a 42 in the quant section post my mocks. Though I want to reappear for the test, I m feeling really low and unable to find the courage to go through it again. An ideal score for me would be 690.

Moreover, I don't know from where should I restart my prep and get energy to conquer GMAT. Please help me to find the right path. I don't have more than month's time.

Regards
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 9

Re: A Blah Test Day!!! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2015, 19:31
Hi 1988raj,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped, but your practice CAT scores were not close enough to a 690 to make that score seem like a likely outcome. GMAC has publicly stated the Official Score that you'll earn on Test Day is within +-30 points of actual ability. If you assume a similar variation in your practice CAT scores, your 500 is "within range" of your CAT results (albeit at the low end of the range).

The significant drop in the Quant Scaled Score means one of two things:

1) Something during your practice was NOT realistic, so you weren't ready for what occurred on Test Day.
2) Something about Test Day was surprising and threw you "off" of your performance.

With a bit more information, we can likely figure out what went wrong and fix it.

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take any CAT more than once?
3) What time did you take your CATs and what time was your Official GMAT?

4) What practice resources did you use?
5) How many CATs did you take in the week before your GMAT?
6) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
7) How long was the ride to the Testing Center?
8) Was there anything about Test Day itself that was surprising or unexpected?

You mentioned having only a month's time to study and retest. Are you trying to make an application deadline? What score would be "acceptable" if you couldn't score 690?

The GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to CRUSH it. However, it might take more than a month's time to get you up to that "level", so is it possible for you to push your next Test Date back?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com
http://www.empowergmat.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A Blah Test Day!!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2015, 02:56
Hi Rich,

On the onset I want to appreciate your quick response, Thank You.

I have realized one thing if I don't aim for a higher score now, I will always end up a below mediocre result. If u ask me, Rich, I wasn't sure what I wanted before the test day, an over optimistic me sometimes said a 690 is reachable; I was also happy if I could manage 650; this thought process made a 600 look an easy task; When I saw my mock scores, which I took within 12 days before the actual test, I was pretty confident to get to a decent score.

4. Kaplan CAT 3: 580 (Q: 44; V: 26)
5. Kaplan CAT 4: 590 (Q: 44; V: 26)
6. GMATPREP 2: 550 (Q: 44; V:23)
7. MGMAT 1: 570 (Q: 42; V:27)
8. Kaplan CAT 5: 550 (Q: 43; V: 19)

Clearly, the actual test score is a dent on my confidence level and I am unable to digest the fact that I failed. I have had a good track professional record on whatever assignment I have taken up. I took GMAT as an assignment and I failed miserably.

I m from India and my City doesn't have a Pearson Vue test center so on the morning of the test day I had to travel from my city to the neighboring city, a 130 km or an 80 mile stretch, then search and locate the test center ( which I admit wasn't very difficult ). I never had a chance to visit the testing center earlier.

I took ENTIRE MOCKS including AWA and IR in a stretch with a little fluctuations in couple of mocks because of the internet connectivity issue but no major breaks apart from the above that I mentioned.

My exam was in the mid afternoon, 1430 hours and I gave my mocks not exactly at the same hour but a little later in the day, mostly evenings. I did not take any mocks more than once but I did review my result. Clearly, my reviewing was not thorough enough.

I referred to the OG 13 and Kaplan premier mostly. Another thing to note that my city doesn't have a single dedicated GMAT coaching classes. I did join a coaching center for sometime but ended up not going there 3 weeks before the exams because it wasn't worth going there. I blew over Rs. 18000 or over 275 USD for these not-so-worth classes.

The biggest goof up that could happen to me was no night sleep before the exam day. I didn't sleep. I couldn't. I had this working on the mind even minutes before the exam. The irony here is that I went to the bed early that night than my sleeping time as I was aware that I needed a good 9 hour sleep. But I couldn't sleep at all. The entire night I was rolling from one side to other, even tried to listen to music, didn't help. I kept telling myself to "Chill the **** out" (pardon my language), I I couldn't.
And here I am sitting on my comfortable couch knowing that I failed miserably. *frustrated* *dejected* *broken*.

But I want to overcome this feeling as soon as possible. I have given myself a month's time because I want to get into an MBA program in this year intake. The colleges I m looking for already are reaching their second list deadlines and I will now have to apply before the 3rd list deadlines.

The colleges I m looking for are North American colleges and couple of Asian colleges namely: Rotman, sauder business school in canada and NUS and Nanyang in singapore.

From where should I start? My verbal skills is not good enough to reach even a mere score of 35 and I can't trust my Quant skills after scoring a mere 32 on the actual test.
Director
Director
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 9

Re: A Blah Test Day!!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2015, 15:04
Hi 1988raj,

The lack of sleep likely threw you entire performance off. It sounds like you approached the rest of this process in a proper fashion, but there are a couple of other noteworthy points:

1) You were training yourself to take your GMAT later in the day than you actually did. When Test Takers make a significant change like that (taking the GMAT at a different time) on Test Day, the results are usually bad.

2) The travel time to the Test Center was time/energy that you had to spend before the Test started. There's no real way around this problem though, so we'll just have to live with it.

3) Taking 5 CATs in 12 days was NOT a good idea. You likely "burned out" a bit by doing this (and you probably didn't even realize that it was happening).

Assuming that you had gotten a reasonable night's sleep, you probably would have scored in the high-500s or low-600s, which means that you're still far enough from your goal score that some adjustments have to be made. The Round 3 deadlines for most Schools give you plenty of time to continue studying though. To score 690+, you're likely going to need to invest in some new GMAT resources that offer consistent, Professional guidance through the entire process (but especially the Verbal section).

Before talking through those possibilities, I'm really curious about your "sleep issue" - has this happened before? If so, then we have to consider the possibility that it could happen again and put some effort into stopping it.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com
http://www.empowergmat.com

Re: A Blah Test Day!!!   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2015, 15:04