Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 00:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Canadian looking for American advice, Which schools!!?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Schulich, Rotman '15
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

A Canadian looking for American advice, Which schools!!? [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 17:41
I am Canadian and have already planned out which schools I would like to apply to in Canada (Rotman, Schulich, Ivey) but I would also love to apply to the states because quite frankly I want to experience something in life before I turn 30.

So here are my stats:
- I will be 24 at matriculation.
- I have not written my GMAT yet but lets project a score of 650 based on tests written already
- GPA in a Bachelor of Business Administration of 2.8
Work Experience:
- 1 year Sales Associate at Wireless Wave (Cell Phone Dealer; achieved top sales in the province consistently winning multiple incentives/competitions)
- 4 months Procurement Co-op Student at Wabush Mines (Iron Ore Mine; Work-term)
- 8 months Financial Services Representative at a local Credit Union
- 1 year as Sales Assistant for a major banking/investment firm within canada
- I want to concentrate in the Finance field

There are no specific areas geographically in the states I would prefer over the others, although after living in Northeast Canada my whole life, I wouldn't mind somewhere warm :)

My problems seem to be my lack of work experience and my GPA isn't great either. But i'm convinced that 650 is the lowest my GMAT is going to come back after the effort I've been putting in and will continue to put in leading up to december.

So the question goes out to all my fellow gmatclubers, I need your help, because the US offers so many different schools, I would love a few names that I could look into a little more in depth. Obviously I would love a competitive school, with brand recognition, so what do you guys think? Help me out!!

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” - Greg Anderson

Follow my Journey at: nphelan-s-road-to-117533.html

Kudos? Don't mind if I do!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Canadian looking for American advice, Which schools!!? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 07:44
hi nphelan, your 650/2.8 will be a handicap for you in the top 20 b-schools. Of course, there are other things that adcoms look at, so definitely showcase and demonstrate yourself in your strong points. At this point, my recommendation is to look at USNews' top 40-60 range, which still includes some big regional names, such as Wake Forest, Penn State, and UCI to name a few.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Schulich, Rotman '15
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: A Canadian looking for American advice, Which schools!!? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 19:06
Great! thanks so much!

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” - Greg Anderson

Follow my Journey at: nphelan-s-road-to-117533.html

Kudos? Don't mind if I do!

Re: A Canadian looking for American advice, Which schools!!?   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2011, 19:06