Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 10:39

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

a career in dermatology is still a safe bet for medical

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

a career in dermatology is still a safe bet for medical [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 21:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
a career in dermatology is still a safe bet for medical students. In the US., the number of cases of skin cancer linked to UV radiation in sunlight has remained relatively constant every year even though far fewer adults are intentionally exposing themselves to UV sunlight now than were doing so at the height of the suntan craze 20yrs ago

each of the following,if true could explain the relative stability in the incidence of skin cancer each year despite the decrease in intentional exposure to UV sunlight EXCEPT:

a) bcause of decreasing levels of ozone in the upper atmosphere,more people are now exposed accidently to excessive UV sunlight
b) people who continue to intentionally expose themselves to UV sunlight are absorbing larger doses of harmful radiation than the average suntanner did in the past
c) levels of UV radiation from sources other than sunlight are increasing every year
d) while fewer women are intentionally exposing themselves to UV sunlight,the number of men doing so has increased significantly

My doubt:
I guessed 'c' to be the right answer because it attributes an increased incidence of skin cancer to reasons other than sunlight.As the passage doesnt mention about any other cause and only talks about skin cancer related to sunlight it becomes clear that any choice that deviates from the central idea of the passage will be the odd one out. But 'c', is incorrect!

What did i do wrong??
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 06:38
vinayn wrote:
a career in dermatology is still a safe bet for medical students. In the US., the number of cases of skin cancer linked to UV radiation in sunlight has remained relatively constant every year even though far fewer adults are intentionally exposing themselves to UV sunlight now than were doing so at the height of the suntan craze 20yrs ago

each of the following,if true could explain the relative stability in the incidence of skin cancer each year despite the decrease in intentional exposure to UV sunlight EXCEPT:

a) bcause of decreasing levels of ozone in the upper atmosphere,more people are now exposed accidently to excessive UV sunlight
b) people who continue to intentionally expose themselves to UV sunlight are absorbing larger doses of harmful radiation than the average suntanner did in the past
c) levels of UV radiation from sources other than sunlight are increasing every year
d) while fewer women are intentionally exposing themselves to UV sunlight,the number of men doing so has increased significantly

Where is e) ?

My doubt:
I guessed 'c' to be the right answer because it attributes an increased incidence of skin cancer to reasons other than sunlight.As the passage doesnt mention about any other cause and only talks about skin cancer related to sunlight it becomes clear that any choice that deviates from the central idea of the passage will be the odd one out. But 'c', is incorrect!

What did i do wrong??

I think what you did is you are looking for the wrong thing. You appear to be looking for an "increased incidence of skin cancer" but the stem doesn't say that. The stem actually says " relative stability in the incidence of skin cancer ", not increase. I think the answer is B, but without seeing E, I'm not certain the answer is B.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 07:30
vinayn wrote:

My doubt:

What did i do wrong??

B

The question states -"each of the following,if true could explain the relative stability in the incidence of skin cancer each year despite the decrease in intentional exposure to UV sunlight EXCEPT:"

You need to find an answer choice which does not explain the question below.If you dont get an explantion you have found the answer choice.

even with reduced exposure to UV sunlight,the incidence of cancer is constant.Why?

Below is my reasoning

Premise-nos of people intentionally exposing themselves to UV sunlight has decreased

explains.Even though people have reduced their exposure to sunlight they are exposed to other sources and this explains why incidence is stable.
doesnot explain why the incidence of cancer is stable.In this case the incidence should have increased.

explains.Even though people have reduced their exposure to sunlight they are exposed to other sources and this explains why incidence is stable.
explains.while number of women intentionally exposing themselves to UV sunlight has decreased the number of men doing so has increased. Explains why the incidence is stable.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 07:32
I think E is the answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 07:40
gmatnub wrote:
I think E is the answer

So you saying BLANK is an answer??? :D....There isn't an E provided....
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 07:46
D is the answer
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 22:51
concurring with gmatnub, D makes most sense!
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, Tuck, Michigan (Ross), Darden, MBS

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 22:57
IMO A is the correct answer.

-----------------------------------------------------------
'It's not the ride, it's the rider'

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 23:34
B is the one!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 03:03
I believe the answer is B, since fewer people go to the sun intentionally and people who go to sun intentionally is the same.
Yeah, they get more harmful doses, but the number of people will decrease.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 08:15
Please post the OA
Intern
Intern

Re: CR: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 16:38
zoltan wrote:
I believe the answer is B, since fewer people go to the sun intentionally and people who go to sun intentionally is the same.
Yeah, they get more harmful doses, but the number of people will decrease.

The key to look for is the word EXCEPT. The choice which doesnt support/strengthen's author's argument will be the answer
choice B infact supports author's argument on why the incidence rate of cancer is still constant even though no of ppl gettting exposed to sunlight has gone down
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 00:06
Dude where is opton E?????
Intern
Intern

Re: CR: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 15:32
vksunder wrote:
Dude where is opton E?????

E. In most victims,skin cancer is linked to exposures to UV sunlight that occured up to 30yrs before the onset of the disease
Re: CR: EXCEPT   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2008, 15:32