Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A carrer in Milwaukee steel?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

A carrer in Milwaukee steel? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 18:40
It's no secret that I like motorcycles. I have actually flirted with the idea of looking into post - MBA careers in motorcycle companies.

During the application process, I had the chance to discuss this issue briefly with one of my interviewers (a Kellogg alumn). He said that the one employer whose presentations were attended by the highest amount of students was Harley - Davidson. By the way, for the uninitiated Milwaukee steel = Harley Davidson motorcycle(s).

I personally don't like Harley Davidson's that much. I can't deny their marketing effectiveness and loyal following, but I prefer nimbler (is that a word?) bikes, such as the ones in their Buell division or, mostly any bike that's not a cruiser nor a tourer. However, since I hadn't actually ridden an HD before, I did rent one for a day (a Fat Boy) recently while on a business trip in the US, and rode it for about 250 miles in a day (pictured below). I was positively surprised by its ease of use (despite its weight), relaxed riding position, massive torque and cruising proficiency. On the other hand, I was not that thrilled about its appaling cornering and braking abilities.

But I digress, the question is: is anyone considering targetting the Harley Davidson company as an employer? If so, what positions do MBAs typically get for such a company?

Please share your thoughts.

L.
Attachments

DSC00043small.JPG
DSC00043small.JPG [ 238.56 KiB | Viewed 621 times ]

SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 20:20
I think it's known as a place with a strong sense of family among employees. Like any big company they probably have jobs in marketing, product management, finance, logistics and general management. Job opportunities are probably much more appealing than those available from US car companies right now.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 21:41
It is also likely to be heavily skewed towards engineers as well. From my experience of core-engineering companies, many managerial positions are held by people who have grown in the organization - from shop floors, engineering posts and so on.

Also, if you've worked as an engineer, you'll know how popular managers are :twisted:
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2007, 06:04
I actually looked into working with them out of Ugrad. However, all their positions are located in places I am not too excited to live. The moajority of their hiring is for engineers and such. However, Harley is a company that franchises. So there is not many corporate openings for Area Directors, or even General Managers. I would say that this company is not really suited best for an MBA, there are jobs available I am sure, however they are limited. However, they do produce great bikes!
  [#permalink] 04 Jul 2007, 06:04