Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 02:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 97

A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 18:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (02:09) correct 31% (01:39) wrong based on 139 sessions
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 “home run” -- a ball hit across the field of play and over the opposing fence, called the outfield wall -- per game. In stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game. Finally, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game. Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

Assuming that all stadiums during the season were filled to capacity, which of the following, if true, most undermines the argument above?

A) The team's leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.
B)The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.
C) The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.
D) In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to where the batter stands.
E) The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team.

Vvhy can E not be the ansvver it implies there is an alternate casue for the conclusion
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 75

Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 19:44
venmic wrote:
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 “home run” -- a ball hit across the field of play and over the opposing fence, called the outfield wall -- per game. In stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game. Finally, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game. Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

Assuming that all stadiums during the season were filled to capacity, which of the following, if true, most undermines the argument above?

A) The team's leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.
C) The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.
D) In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to where the batter stands.

Vvhy can E not be the ansvver it implies there is an alternate casue for the conclusion

"...playing in front of large crowds motivated the team...."

is undermined by,

outfield walls nullified the effects of the motivating crowd

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1184

Kudos [?]: 5640 [3] , given: 167

Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 21:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
venmic wrote:

I guess you are clear why (D) weakens the conclusion. Because the outfield walls are closer i.e. the distance to be covered is less, therefore, the batters hit more home runs.
Now, as for your question why (E) is not correct - there are two reasons - the team announcer cited crowd noise as a motivator but it doesn't make his statement true. The only thing we have to take to be true is that the announcer cited this. Whether it actually is true i.e. whether actually crowd noise is a motivator or not, we don't know.
Also, (E) actually supports the conclusion, if at all. The conclusion says that excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivates the team and (E) says that the noise the large crowd creates motivates the team. They are related, aren't they - larger the crowd, more the noise, more the excitement.

I would like to explain the first reason a little more:

Say there is an argument where the conclusion is "the politicians are corrupt because they are not paid well" and you need to strengthen it.
Let's say one of the options says, "my friend said that politicians are corrupt because they are not paid well"
This isn't what you are looking for. Just because someone else said it too, doesn't make it stronger. It is again someone's opinion. You are looking for facts that can strengthen the conclusion.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '17
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 256 [1] , given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 09:02
This post received
KUDOS
venmic wrote:

The conclusion of the argument: The excitement of playing in front of LARGE CROWDS motivate the team to hit MORE HOME RUNS

Choice (E) stated the opinion of the team ANNOUNCER that the crowd noise motivate the team hit more => this choice actually strengthen the conclusion of the argument, not undermine

Choice (D) states another reason why the team hit more when the audiences increase. Not by the excitement of the audiences, but by the different distance of the stadiums that can stand with different number of audiences.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: -6 [2] , given: 17

Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 12:24
This post received
KUDOS
I believe this is not fair question for international students especially those who don't know about baseball rules. Inside the question there is an assumption that HOME RUN score could be gain by a team when ball goes out side of the fence into crowds. Just after watching MONEY BALL movie i got the meaning of HOME RUN and when I checked the argument again it was so simple. :)

Keep your eyes on the prize: 750

Last edited by omidsa on 11 Aug 2012, 23:40, edited 2 times in total.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 26

Premium Member
Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 23:15
@omidsa Yeah a bit difficult if you dont know what an outerwall and home run is in the base ball game. Can someone explain how to eliminate C?

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5640 [0], given: 167

Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 21:28
Expert's post
omidsa wrote:
I believe this is not fair question for international students especially those who don't know about baseball rules. Inside the question there is an assumption that HOME RUN score could be gain by a team when ball goes out side of the fence into crowds. Just after watching MONEY BALL movie i got the meaning of HOME RUN and when I checked the argument again it was so simple. :)

Actually, they have given enough information for international students. Otherwise, they wouldn't have explained "home run".

“home run” -- a ball hit across the field of play and over the opposing fence, called the outfield wall --

GMAT does not assume that you know the terminology used in every sport but they do expect you to be able to figure out after they explain the terminology.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post

Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 21:31
Expert's post
crackHSW wrote:
@omidsa Yeah a bit difficult if you dont know what an outerwall and home run is in the base ball game. Can someone explain how to eliminate C?

They are talking about averages. Every element in the set needn't comply. Just because one stadium - the largest one - averaged 2 instead of 3 home runs, the conclusion is not weakened. Also, it doesn't tell us largest in what way - no of people or area of field of play etc.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 97

Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 22:12
Karishma

Great analysis.. just super like the vvay you think

thanks for all the help.............

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
crackHSW wrote:

They are talking about averages. Every element in the set needn't comply. Just because one stadium - the largest one - averaged 2 instead of 3 home runs, the conclusion is not weakened. Also, it doesn't tell us largest in what way - no of people or area of field of play etc.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 10

Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 09:16
Just trying to think 'critically' regarding the point raised omidsa. Though the question does explain what a homerun is, it would be much easier for American candidates to grasp the point (as they already know it) while others have spend a little bit extra time and energy on it...............again, just trying to be devil's advocate, I understand there would always be cultural advantages / disadvantages as far as specific questions are concerned.
Expert Post

Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 21:29
Expert's post
IndianExpress wrote:
Just trying to think 'critically' regarding the point raised omidsa. Though the question does explain what a homerun is, it would be much easier for American candidates to grasp the point (as they already know it) while others have spend a little bit extra time and energy on it...............again, just trying to be devil's advocate, I understand there would always be cultural advantages / disadvantages as far as specific questions are concerned.

Agreed - it would be far easier for someone who already knows what a homerun is. Someone who has never caught a glimpse of baseball may have to imagine 'field of play' and 'opposing fence' etc. It would certainly take more time and effort but it will still be do-able and hence acceptable.

Also, GMAT is an international exam and they are very thorough in their procedures. I am sure you know that they put some 'trial questions' in the exam which are not scored. These are for future exams. If they see too much of regional bias in a particular question, they do not include it in their tests. Say, if most Americans who get 700 answer this question correctly but most Asians who get 700 answer it incorrectly, then they know that it is not a question appropriate for an international exam. GMAC is extremely particular about the validity of their questions and hence we don't need to worry about whether GMAT is fair to everyone.

Also, I am sure Americans can compain about how GMAT is not 'fair' - the environment that Asians grow in gives high exposure to Mathematics in the education system and hence great Quant scores.
Asians can complain about how GMAT is not 'fair' - English is Americans' first language so they tend to do better in Verbal etc etc

Overall, I think it is a pretty level playing field for everyone. Hence, we should rather invest our time and effort into 'thinking critically' about the various concepts that will be tested.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 13

Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 22:22
I totally missed what a Batter meant. I was thinking like a pastry Batter. I was wondering maybe there are stands where they sell batter. It probably doesn't make sense but still got me to eliminate the answer choice because it was absurd. So, I eliminated the choice.

Too bad this question didn't explain what a Batter or a Pitcher is. In the cricketing world they call a person hitting a ball a Batsman, not a Batter.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 22

Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 23:31
Given:
Team is more successful in larger venues.
It is assumed that the excitement of playing in front of large audience has motivated to hit more home runs.

A) The team's leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums. - Gives out no precise information on the link between home runs and crowd - Incorrect
B)The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team. - It is possible that team is motivated to prove the audience wrong and hit more home runs - Incorrect
C) The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium. - The number is still larger than the one hit in smaler stadium. Supports the assumption - Incorrect
D) In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to where the batter stands. - Since the outfield wall has been constructed closer to where batter stands, it would have been easier for the batter to hit more home runs - Correct
E) The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team. - The assumption provided in the passage states the same - Incorrect
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 19:58
venmic wrote:

Citing something and that action actually happening are two different things.

Additionally, we know that larger stadiums have larger crowd. However, we cannot say for sure that larger crowd = higher crowd noise. Therefore, I don't think E is a choice to consider.

I was about to pick B, but the passage does not talk about cheering against or for. It does not even talk about cheering. Just the mere presence of a large crowd excites the players. So B does not fall within the scope.

A and C are easy to eliminate as they do not affect the conclusion in any manner.

D provides an alternate reason for the conclusion and breaks the conclusion down. Smaller fields lead to more number of home runs and not the size of the crowd.

I hope this helps.
Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2012, 19:58