Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 10-12-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [4] , given: 10

A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (02:08) correct 42% (01:45) wrong based on 180 sessions
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team
averaged 1 home run per game; in stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2
home runs per game; and, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per
game. Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.
Assuming that all stadiums during the season were filled to capacity, which of the following, if true, most undermines
the argument above?

A0 The team’s leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.
B) The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.
C) The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.
D) In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer
to home base.
E) The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 46

Re: Baseball Paradox [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 18:31
This post received
KUDOS
D) is right.

In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer
to home base.
>>> This means that in the stadium which could seat 40K people, 40K seats were actually not filled. The walls were brought closer to the base.

Hence, score is not proportional to the number of people in audience.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction

Kudos [?]: 27 [2] , given: 48

Re: Baseball Paradox [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 19:19
This post received
KUDOS
Pre phrasing the answer helped me out in this question.

Premises suggest clearly that the team was hitting more home runs whenever it played in stadiums that had "Larger capacity to seat the audience"

Conclusion States that - "the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs"

In order to weaken this reasoning - I thought of following options before checking the AC's

1) team was playing a weaker team in all those games where they hit Home runs

2) either the grounds were smaller where the team was playing

and then after Reading the AC's i could pick {D} easily.

{D} provides the reasoning that since home base was made smaller to seat more audience, Team was able to Hit more Home-runs in stadiums which were largely crowded.
Thus refuting the conclusion that the baseball team was playing better just because there were large crowds.

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 17

Re: Baseball Paradox [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 12:34
(A) The argument makes a claim about the collective behavior of the team. This collective claim does not preclude certain individuals from hitting fewer home runs in larger stadiums.
(B) The claim made in the argument is based on the size of the crowd in each stadium. For whom the fans cheered is irrelevant to the argument.
(C) Similar to answer choice A, this choice cites one specific example of contradictory information, while the argument is based on the average behavior
of the team throughout the entire season. The does not strongly undermine that, on average, the team was motivated by larger crowds.
(D) CORRECT. This choice explains that the larger stadiums actually have different dimensions from the smaller stadiums. In order to accommodate a larger number of fans, the outfield walls are closer to the batters. Thus, it is very possible that the greater number of home runs is due to the fact that the ball does not have to travel as far in larger stadiums.
(E) The announcer’s opinion is not relevant to the argument, and, even if it were, this choice would strengthen the argument.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 186

Kudos [?]: 153 [3] , given: 4

Re: Baseball Paradox [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
vinayakv wrote:
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team
averaged 1 home run per game; in stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2
home runs per game; and, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per
game. Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.
Assuming that all stadiums during the season were filled to capacity, which of the following, if true, most undermines
the argument above?

A0 The team’s leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.
B) The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.
C) The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.
D) In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer
to home base.
E) The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team.

Some great responses to this question already, so I just wanted to chime in with a little general context. The assumption made here eliminates alternatives. Be on the lookout for this category of assumption any time the Conclusion provides an explanation for some phenomenon:

Premise: The team hits more homeruns in stadiums with larger capacity. (This is a phenomenon that has been observed.)
Conclusion: The excitement of a larger crowd causes the team to hit more homeruns. (This is an explanation of the phenomenon.)

The first question you should ask when you see this structure is "are there any other explanations?"

The correct answer to a Find the Assumption or Strengthen the Conclusion question should eliminate the alternatives. The correct answer to an Evaluate the Argument question should ask if there are alternatives. And the correct answer to a Weaken the Conclusion question should provide at least one such alternative – (D) does the trick in this problem.

Try to place assumptions into categories such as this one. It makes brainstorming much easier!

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Sullivan | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Seattle, WA

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 16:41
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 139

Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2014, 23:12
Can someone explain How is C incorrect?
According to conclusion team performs better with more crowd, but when playing on largest stadium rather than hitting maximum home runs, team performed below average.
thus undermines the conclusion.
Please correct my reasoning.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.55

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2014, 22:26
aditya232 wrote:
Can someone explain How is C incorrect?
According to conclusion team performs better with more crowd, but when playing on largest stadium rather than hitting maximum home runs, team performed below average.
thus undermines the conclusion.
Please correct my reasoning.

Aditya,

I do understand where your confusion comes from. You can think of it as this way: (notice the bolded letters)

Category 1: stadiums with seats <20,000 --> 1 home run/game
Category 2: 20,000 < stadiums with seats <40,000 --> 2 home runs/game
Category 3: stadiums with seats > 20,000 --> 3 home runs/game

Answer Choice C: The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.

It may be the case that although the team averaged only 2 home runs in its LARGEST stadium, the other stadiums in Category 3 averaged 3 home runs/game. Therefore, the largest stadium would be just an anomaly and doesn't necessarily weaken the argument.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 137

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2014, 00:37
Conclusion: excitement of playing --> motivated the team to hit more home runs
Weaken the arguments: Excitement of playing in front of large crowd might not be the reason that motivated the team to hit more home runs
D. Provide possible reason : the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer
to home base --> hit more home runs

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2014, 00:37