Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 17:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 home run per game; in stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game; and, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game. Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

Assuming that all stadiums during the season were filled to capacity, which of the following, if true, most undermines the argument above?

a) The team's leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.
b) The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.
c) The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.
d) In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to home base.
e) The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Home hitter [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 17:30
i'll say D. Question asks us to basically find another reason for why the team hit more homers.

D gives that reason; if the walls of the outfield in the larger stadiums were closer to home, then the batters dont have to hit as much of a distance to get a home run. So it wasnt the excitement, but the fact that it was easier to hit home runs.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Home hitter [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 17:31
D for me.

moni77 wrote:
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 home run per game; in stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game; and, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game. Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

Assuming that all stadiums during the season were filled to capacity, which of the following, if true, most undermines the argument above?

a) The team's leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums. [hmmm seems to be restating the story]
b) The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team. [so what - argument is about having large crowds not who they cheer for]
c) The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium. [hmmm largest is not clear - does it mean larger size ? or more crowds ? this is not clear cut enough to be the answer]
d) In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to home base. [ahhh shorter boundaries could cause more home runs - hence the answer]
e) The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team. [irrelevant]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Home hitter [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 20:28
i had literrally no idea of the game itself..
so the term ' home run' created a great amount of confusion in me..

if something similar appears on the test, i think it would not be fair from an general applicant's perpective.
iam not sure whether gmac already takes care of this.

regards,
Neo
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Home hitter [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 20:51
They say that the questions are supposed to be "culturally sensitive" but during my actual GMAT test, the very first Math question had "nickels" and "dimes" and since I am not American, I really had no idea about that one.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Home hitter [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2008, 05:49
I agree with D.

For those of you who watch cricket, think of a home run as a 6 and the outfield walls as the boundary.

The argument states that playing in front of large crowds is what caused the team to hit more HR. However, D provides an alternate explanation that the team hit more HR because the field was moved in.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Home hitter [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2008, 06:07
Neochronic wrote:
i had literrally no idea of the game itself..
so the term ' home run' created a great amount of confusion in me..

if something similar appears on the test, i think it would not be fair from an general applicant's perpective.
iam not sure whether gmac already takes care of this.

regards,
Neo

That's the same thing I feel. I have no idea how this game works. :oops:

Anyway, OA is D.
Re: CR - Home hitter   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2008, 06:07