Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [3]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 499 [1]
Given Kudos: 98
GMAT 1: 500 Q36 V23
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: A certain business school has a student body of 2,000 students, 45% of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ans C..

we have a number, which is further subdivided into four groups \(m_l\), \(m_i\), \(f_l\)and \(f_i\). we know m and f...
and we are to find sum of two of these groups \(m_i\) and \(f_i\)..
1)statement one tells us a relation between \(m_l\) and \(f_i\)... insufficient
2) statement two tells us a relation between \(m_l\) and \(m_i\)...here we get values of both these quantities... value of \(f_i\) still required..insufficient

combined .. value of \(m_l\) found from statement2, we can get \(f_i\) from statement 1....sufficient
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: A certain business school has a student body of 2,000 students, 45% of [#permalink]
Kudos
Answer is C.

Here is my best explanation (refer to print screen);
1) we are looking for "x" and they are mutually exclusive (you can't be male and female at the same time).
2) In red is statement one
3) In blue is statement two

Clearly we do not know x so by itself none is useful, however if we use both statements, we can see that the males cleanly divide up in the same amount (x).

So, you would just need to divide 45% of 2000 in 2 to get x, hence SUFFICIENT.
Attachments

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 3.07 KiB | Viewed 3667 times ]

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
A certain business school has a student body of 2,000 students, 45% of whom are male. What percent of the students are international students?

(1) The number of male international students in the business school is twice the number of female students who are not international students.
(2) The number of male students who are not international students is twice the number of male students who are international students.

Kudos for a correct solution.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION

Correct Answer: C

Think of this as a 2x2 table. Before we begin, we know the total number of students (2000) and the total number of male students (45% of 2000, or 900). Statement (1) only tells us only the relationship between male international students and female non-international students, so we don't know the total number of international students; not sufficient. Statement (2) tells us there are twice as many non-international male students (600) as there are international male students (300). This doesn't tell us anything about the female student body, however, so it too is insufficient. Combining the two statements, we know that the number of male international students (300) is twice the number of female non-international students (150). Since we know there are 1100 female students (2000 total - 900 male = 1100 female), we now know the number of female international students (950). We now know that of the 2000 students at the school, 1250 of them are internationals: 5/8 or 62.5%. Both statements together are sufficient.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts