Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain company assigns employees to offices in such a way

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
A certain company assigns employees to offices in such a way [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 13:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:59) correct 50% (01:16) wrong based on 145 sessions
A certain company assigns employees to offices in such a way that some of the offices can be empty and more than one employee can be assigned to an office. In how many ways can the company assign 3 employees to 2 different offices?

A. 5
B. 6
C. 7
D. 8
E. 9
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 77 [3] , given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain company employee [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 03:26
This post received
KUDOS
Two offices can be filled in two ways, when all the three employee will be in same room or when two employee in one room and one in other room.

when all the three employee will be in same = 3C3 * 2! =2 (2!, because any of the room can be taken)

when two employee in one room and one in other room. = 3C2 * 1C1 * 2! = 6

Hence total ways = 6+2
Answer is 8.

Consider KUDOS if it is helpful to u.

Last edited by ankitranjan on 25 Oct 2010, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3495

Kudos [?]: 26279 [2] , given: 2708

Re: A certain company [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 15:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sagarsabnis wrote:
A certain company assigns employees to offices in such a way that some of the offices can be empty and more than one employee can be assigned to an office. In how many ways can the company assign 3 employees to 2 different offices?

A. 5
B. 6
C. 7
D. 8
E. 9
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Each of three employee can be assigned to either of offices, meaning that each has 2 choices --> 2*2*2=2^3=8.

Answer: D.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26279 [2] , given: 2708

Re: A certain company [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2010, 03:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sagarsabnis wrote:
i am still not able to understand. Can you please explain in detail?

also please tell me where i went wrong.This was my logic.

No. of people
office 1: 0|0|0|1|1|1|2|2|3
office 2: 1|2|3|0|1|2|0|1|0

this gives me 9 possible combination

First of all you should assign ALL 3 employees to either of the offices. You can have the following scenarios:

No. of people
***********A|B|C|D|
office 1: 0|1|2|3|
office 2: 3|2|1|0|

In scenario (A) and (D) there is only one way to assign three people. But in (B) and (C) there will be 3 cases in each:

Let's say there are 3 employees: Tom, Mary and Kate. In (B): Tom can be in office #1 and Mary/Kate in #2 OR Mary can be in #1 and Tom/Kate in #2 OR Kate in #1 and Tom/Mary in #2. Total 3 cases for (B). The same for (C). (A)+(B)+(C)+(D)=1+3+3+1=8.

The way I solved this was different:

Each of the three employees, Tom, Mary and Kate, has two choices office #1 or office #2. Hence total # of combinations (assignments) is 2*2*2=2^3=8.

Hope it's clear.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ROSS PT 2012
WE 1: Mech Engineer - General Electric - 2yrs
WE 2: Lead Mech Engineer - Ingersoll Rand - 4 yrs

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain company [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 06:12
This post received
KUDOS
The best way to remember this is :
(Decisions) ^ (Players)
For this problem - 2 decisions , 3 players : 2^3=8
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26279 [1] , given: 2708

Re: A certain company assigns employees to offices in such a way [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 00:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Maxirosario2012 wrote:
Thank you. Then, if the company assigns employees to offices in such a way that if the offices can not be empty and more than one employee can be assigned to an office. And we have 5 employees and 3 rooms, the answer would be:

120?
I mean, 5!

No. It would be 3^5 minus restriction.

For example, for 5 employees and 2 offices it would be 2^5 - 2 ({5-0} and {0-5}).

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain company [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2010, 02:27
i am still not able to understand. Can you please explain in detail?

also please tell me where i went wrong.This was my logic.

No. of people
office 1: 0|0|0|1|1|1|2|2|3
office 2: 1|2|3|0|1|2|0|1|0

this gives me 9 possible combination
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Re: A certain company employee [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 03:38
monirjewel wrote:
A certain company assigns employees to offices in such a way that some of the offices can be empty and more than one employee can be assigned to an office, In how many ways can the company assign 3 employees to 2 different offices?

A) 5
B) 6
C) 7
D) 8
E) 9

Every employee has got the possibilit of getting assigned to any of the two offices.
Hence total possibilities = 2^3 = 8
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5041 [0], given: 164

Re: Why D any not B? please help me out [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 07:56
Expert's post
SoniaSaini wrote:
A. 5
B. 6
C. 7
D. 8
E. 9

thanks in advance!!!

For each one of the 3 employees, there are two choices. He can be allotted to any one of the two offices. Hence total number ways will be 2 * 2* 2 = 8 ways

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Specific GMAT Question [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 12:13
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A certain company assigns employees to offices in such a way [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 16:59
Thank you. Then, if the company assigns employees to offices in such a way that if the offices can not be empty and more than one employee can be assigned to an office. And we have 5 employees and 3 rooms, the answer would be:

120?
I mean, 5!

Encourage cooperation! If this post was very useful, kudos are welcome ;)
"It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect It's successful outcome" William James

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A certain company assigns employees to offices in such a way [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 12:35
Thank you Bunuel!
I have difficulties learning combinations, this is my weakest area in the GMAT. I am planning to practice all the combinations problems in the forum.
Regarding the problem that I have posted before, I think that you mean:

3^5 - the combinations in which zero is an element in the set and it cannot be zero in any of the slots, with the restrictions that the 3 elements must sum up 5):
{(005),(014),(023),(032),(041) ; (050)(140),(230),(320),(410) ; (500),(104),(203),(302),(401)}

243 - 15 = 228

I tried to apply combinatorics formulas to this problem (because writing that set is very time consuming) but I could not figure it out.
Translating the problem:
I need to find the number of combinations of three digits in which at least one of the digits is "0", the sum of those three digits is 5 and the digits range from 0 to 5 (six elements).
Then, substract this number from 3^5

"It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect It's successful outcome" William James

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A certain company assigns employees to offices in such a way [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 11:40
Applying combinations I think would be in this way:
C^4_1 * C^2_1 = 4*2 = 8

Manager
Manager
Schools: Smith '16 (I)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A certain company assigns employees to offices in such a way [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 06:47
ok, can someone tell me what's wrong with my thinking..
1st office can have any 3 employees.. therefore 3 options,
2nd office can also have any of 3 employees hence again 3 options
so it should be 3*3=9

i think the logic is similar to the way Bunuel did..the only difference is in that case we had 2 choices for each employee therefore it was 2*2*2=8.. but why is the answer different in both cases?

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

1 Kudos = 1 thanks
Nikhil

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26279 [0], given: 2708

Re: A certain company assigns employees to offices in such a way [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 05:42
Expert's post
nikhil007 wrote:
ok, can someone tell me what's wrong with my thinking..
1st office can have any 3 employees.. therefore 3 options,
2nd office can also have any of 3 employees hence again 3 options
so it should be 3*3=9

i think the logic is similar to the way Bunuel did..the only difference is in that case we had 2 choices for each employee therefore it was 2*2*2=8.. but why is the answer different in both cases?

We are distributing employees to the offices not vise-versa.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

SVP
SVP
Followers: 196

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A certain company assigns employees to offices in such a way [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2014, 18:24
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: A certain company assigns employees to offices in such a way   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2014, 18:24