Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 14:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 754
Location: Dallas, Texas
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 18:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:52) wrong based on 4 sessions
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil withhigh concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants. Agronomists studyingthe herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test-tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Possibly, therefore, theherb’s high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils, a hypothesisthat would gain support if ______.

A. histidine is found in all parts of the plant—roots, stem, leaves, and flowers

B. the herb’s high level of histidine production is found to be associated with anunusually low level of production of other amino acids

C. others of the closely related group of plants are also found to produce histidine inlarge quantities

D. cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over anextended period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic

E. the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approachesmaturity
_________________

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 62
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 19:03
I think it shud be D
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2006
Posts: 716
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 19:06
Is it C?

The same hypothesize applies to related group of plants
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 1136
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 19:07
I got C.

A, B and E are irrelevant/out of scope.

D says that cultivation of the herb in a metal-rich soil will make the soil suitable for the growth of the group of plants it belongs to, but provides no explanation as to WHY the herb can thrive in a metal-rich soil.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 922
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 19:28
I am going for C. The question states: Possibly, therefore, theherb’s high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils, a hypothesisthat would gain support if ______.
So, C, which talks about growth of other plants in the same soil, supports this hypothesis.

EDITING:

Changing to D. The previous argument states that the metals become inert in lab conditions. So what proves they become inert outside the lab where the plants are grown?

Last edited by mbagal1 on 19 Dec 2006, 05:16, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1389
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 19:35
We have to prove that the production of histindine is inert in nature and its contarsting nature against metals.


D. cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over anextended period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic .

This is a test where the plant produces a chemically inert amino acid which repels the mettalic nature of the soil there by allowing regular plants to grow..Phew...

D it is
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 19:39
isn't C weakening the whole idea? first, it doesn't say that those closely related group of plants produces histidine in the SAME soil, meaning with toxic metals.... so what if they have high level of it... if it isn't in the same soil, how can we support the hypothesis that this "h" crap helps the herb to thrive.

D, on the other hand, says that over longer period of time this "h" crap sucks in the toxic metals and allows the the soil to be suiteable for the plants that aren't resistant to the toxic metals.

I will stick with D
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 1136
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 19:41
trivikram wrote:
We have to prove that the production of histindine is inert in nature and its contarsting nature against metals.


D. cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over anextended period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic .

This is a test where the plant produces a chemically inert amino acid which repels the mettalic nature of the soil there by allowing regular plants to grow..Phew...

D it is


We have to strengthen the conclusion
i.e Possibly, therefore, the herb’s high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils
How is D stating that the high histidine production is the cause of the plant's survival?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1389
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 20:10
kripalkavi wrote:
trivikram wrote:
We have to prove that the production of histindine is inert in nature and its contarsting nature against metals.


D. cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over anextended period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic .

This is a test where the plant produces a chemically inert amino acid which repels the mettalic nature of the soil there by allowing regular plants to grow..Phew...

D it is




We have to strengthen the conclusion
i.e Possibly, therefore, the herb’s high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils
How is D stating that the high histidine production is the cause of the plant's survival?



Kripal: I thought the option D is infact supporting the hypothesis.



HISTIDINE --------> inert to mettalic soil and produced by herb plant which resists the qualities exerted by mettalic soil.

This is proved in the labs so it means the more the herb plans are there in such soild the more is the inertness the soil become and becomes conductive for regular ones.

Option C:

Premise: A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil withhigh concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants.

Who knows that 'cos of the proximity of the other plants to this herb plant the other plants are living..We cannot say that the other plants are secreting the H thing. So we can rule out.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 20:25
C doesn't tie these others to the soil or metal at all... how can this be the answer :?:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Herbs [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 20:44
I think the answer is D

Histidine = amino acid = makes metals inert
D says that over a period of time the soil that was rich in toxic metal is now suitable for normal plants.....that means that histdine made the metal inert and therefore supports the conclusion

BTW...what the offical answer???

Swagatalakshmi wrote:
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil withhigh concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants. Agronomists studyingthe herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test-tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Possibly, therefore, theherb’s high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils, a hypothesisthat would gain support if ______.

A. histidine is found in all parts of the plant—roots, stem, leaves, and flowers

B. the herb’s high level of histidine production is found to be associated with anunusually low level of production of other amino acids

C. others of the closely related group of plants are also found to produce histidine inlarge quantities

D. cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over anextended period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic

E. the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approachesmaturity
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 1136
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2006, 02:32
u2lover wrote:
C doesn't tie these others to the soil or metal at all... how can this be the answer :?:



Argument says:
A group of plants thrive in metal rich soil.
A herb belonging to this group secretes a large quantity some H-stuff

C says: The others in the group also secrete large quantities of the same H-stuff. So doesn't it suggest that the H-stuff might be responsible for the group's ability to thrive?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 582
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2006, 02:43
It's my turn.

I choose D because we want to support the arg that histidine renders the metal inert.

C. others of the closely related group of plants are also found to produce histidine inlarge quantities
Where is the link between other plants and the fact that histidine makes the soil inert?


D. cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over anextended period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic
I'm deeply convinced that it is the right answer, unless there's a trap again. The arg makes the hypothesis that histidine deactivate metals.
So if that's the case, then we can believe that histidine will infiltrate the soil surrounding the plants and clean it. That is best supported by other plants growing, that otherwise wouldn't grow.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2006
Posts: 177
Location: uk
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Herbs [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2006, 03:51
I go with C

Swagatalakshmi wrote:
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil withhigh concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants. Agronomists studyingthe herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test-tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Possibly, therefore, the herb’s high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils, a hypothesis that would gain support if ______.

A. histidine is found in all parts of the plant—roots, stem, leaves, and flowers

B. the herb’s high level of histidine production is found to be associated with anunusually low level of production of other amino acids

C. others of the closely related group of plants are also found to produce histidine inlarge quantities

The hypothesis needs to be strengthened. This will happen when other closely related plants also produce histadine in large amounts. In that way we can conclude that it is histadine that helps plants to survive.


D. cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over anextended period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic

If the plant makes the soil inert to toxic metals even then we cannot support that it is histadine that does it. It could be something else that the plants produces and so histadine is not responsible. It does not strengthen the hypothesis.

E. the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approachesmaturity
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 582
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2006, 04:29
dips wrote:
C. others of the closely related group of plants are also found to produce histidine inlarge quantities

The hypothesis needs to be strengthened. This will happen when other closely related plants also produce histadine in large amounts. In that way we can conclude that it is histadine that helps plants to survive.

D. cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over anextended period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic

If the plant makes the soil inert to toxic metals even then we cannot support that it is histadine that does it. It could be something else that the plants produces and so histadine is not responsible. It does not strengthen the hypothesis.



I understand what you mean and actually I am not convinced anymore that D is the best.
But when you say that D doesn't strenghten the hypothesis, I can reply that C neither. Other related plants can produce histidine, but as you said for D(It could be something else that the plants produces and so histadine is not responsible) could be valid for C. We cannot not conclude that histidine is responsible because all the related plants thriving in this kind of soil share the same amino acid. However it supports the argument. And D supports it as well, because it shows that a substance(histidine?) is produced,infiltrates the soil and makes it inert, as does histidine in the lab.
D is maybe too obvious to be the right answer, so C can be the winner...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 May 2006
Posts: 71
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2006, 05:39
i got C
whats the OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Posts: 343
Location: Washington DC
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2006, 05:44
I am with C..

D – Cultivation, over an extended period, of this herb will gradually neutralize the toxic metal of the soil. The lab study also demonstrated such outcome.
My wild thought - It might turn out that the herb neutralizes the metal within its body just to clean its food. To do so, probably, it uses a little amount that is enough for its survival. Its cultivation, for en extended period, will eventually clean the whole field is really .......... far reaching conclusion. Given the lab and actual environment is vastly different, it is difficult to believe without any other premise.

C – All the herbs of the group show high H quantity. Definitely, this special feature is needed for thriving in soil with high metal concentration.

I think C has a stronger support ...looking forward for the OA though..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 281
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2006, 06:40
I am with D

Growing the herb makes the metals in the soil inert.

Hence makes the land favorable for other plants
_________________

AimHigher

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 341
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2006, 07:19
I pick C. If this herb survives because of the large amounts of histidine then the other closely related plants that thrive in the toxic soil could have the same reason.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Herbs [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2006, 10:15
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil withhigh concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants. Agronomists studyingthe herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test-tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Possibly, therefore, theherb’s high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils, a hypothesisthat would gain support if ______.


Fact: HerbA thrive in soil with metals.
Fact: A group of closely related plants thrive in soil with metals.
Fact: HerbA produces histidine, which makes metals harmless to plant.
Hypothesis: Histidine is the reason why HerbA thrive in soil with metals.

If we know that those closely related plants that thrive in metal soil all produce histidine, then we could be reasonably sure that histidine is the reason why they thrive in metal soil.

I would choose C.

I don't think we can necessarily get better soils after planting herbA for some time. The passage didn't talk about where the chemical reaction takes place (inside the plant or in the soil), nor did it talk about whether its effect will last so that it actually changes the soil.
_________________

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Re: CR: Herbs   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2006, 10:15
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
13 A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely gurpreet07 29 15 Sep 2009, 08:48
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely arorag 18 28 Sep 2008, 16:54
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely prasannar 1 16 Mar 2008, 07:32
A neighborhood group plans to protest the closing of the Mishari 8 05 May 2007, 00:04
CR:Certain Herb IWT801 3 10 Dec 2005, 19:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 27 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.