Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 11:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain investment grows at an annual interest rate of 8%,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Aug 2007
Posts: 169
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

A certain investment grows at an annual interest rate of 8%, [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 11:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A certain investment grows at an annual interest rate of 8%, compounded quarterly. Which of the following equations can be solved to find the number of years, x, that it would take for the investment to increase by a factor of 16?

16 = (1.02)^(x/4)
2 = (1.02)^x
16 = (1.08)^(4x)
2 = (1.02)^(x/4)
1/16 = (1.02)^(4x)
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Aug 2007
Posts: 169
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 11:48
i dont konw the OA yet, I will get it as soon as i finish this exam and get my results. ill post it then.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 1111
Location: London
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS compounded interest rate [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 11:53
jimjohn wrote:
A certain investment grows at an annual interest rate of 8%, compounded quarterly. Which of the following equations can be solved to find the number of years, x, that it would take for the investment to increase by a factor of 16?

16 = (1.02)^(x/4)
2 = (1.02)^x
16 = (1.08)^(4x)
2 = (1.02)^(x/4)
1/16 = (1.02)^(4x)


A.
formula:FV=PV(1+r)^n
quarterly: r=interest rate/4
time period: n=4x

FV=PV*16
so
16=(1+0.08/4)^4x
16=(1.02)^4x
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Aug 2007
Posts: 169
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 11:55
ravshonbek thats what i thought too but its not given in the answer choices.
A says ^(x/4) not ^(4x)
Director
Director
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 933
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS compounded interest rate [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 12:00
Ravshonbek wrote:
jimjohn wrote:
A certain investment grows at an annual interest rate of 8%, compounded quarterly. Which of the following equations can be solved to find the number of years, x, that it would take for the investment to increase by a factor of 16?

16 = (1.02)^(x/4)
2 = (1.02)^x
16 = (1.08)^(4x)
2 = (1.02)^(x/4)
1/16 = (1.02)^(4x)


A.
formula:FV=PV(1+r)^n
quarterly: r=interest rate/4
time period: n=4x

FV=PV*16
so
16=(1+0.08/4)^4x
16=(1.02)^4x


i think you set it up correctly.. your answer does not equal to A. shouldn't it be taking sqrt 4 on both sides?

(16)^1/4 =(1.02)^4x *1/4
2 = (1.02)^x
so B
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 1111
Location: London
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 12:05
jimjohn wrote:
ravshonbek thats what i thought too but its not given in the answer choices.
A says ^(x/4) not ^(4x)


2^4=(1.02)^4x
take squareroot of 4

so

2=(1.02)^x
  [#permalink] 30 Oct 2007, 12:05
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts The annual interest rate earned by an investment increased lan583 2 18 Aug 2006, 05:52
New posts The annual interest rate earned by an investment increased TOUGH GUY 4 22 Aug 2006, 01:22
New posts The annual interest rate earned by an investment increased lan583 4 16 Sep 2006, 15:44
New posts A certain investment grows at an annual interest rate of 8%, alimad 4 22 Nov 2007, 18:33
New posts 1 A certain investment grows at an annual interest rate of 8%, kairoshan 7 18 Nov 2009, 20:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A certain investment grows at an annual interest rate of 8%,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.