Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [17]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [7]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618782 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Re: A certain IT department of fewer than 15 people [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
maaadhu wrote:
EvaJager wrote:
Alterego wrote:
A certain IT department of fewer than 15 people hires coders and systems administrators. Coders are paid $55,000 per year on average, while system administrators are paid an average yearly salary of $45,000. What is the ratio of coders to systems administrators?

(1) If two of the coders were made systems administrators instead, the yearly payroll for the IT department would be $535,000.

(2) If systems administrators' salaries were reduced by one-third, and coders' salaries were increased to $58,000, the department would save $57,000 in yearly payroll.

Let's drop the thousands and work with smaller numbers.
Denote by A the number of administrators and by C that of the coders.

(1) We can write the following equation:
\(55(C - 2) + 45(A + 2) = 535\), which can be written as \(11C + 9A = 111\).
We have to keep in mind that \(A + C < 15\) and that A and C are positive integers.
Checking for possibile solutions under the given constraints, we find a single pair \(A=5\) and \(C=6.\)
Sufficient.

(2) Now we can write \(55C + 45A - (58C+30A) = 57.\)
We have to solve the equation \(5A-C=19.\) Again, A and C must be positive integers and \(A + C < 15\).
We find a single pair of admissible solution, \(A = 5\) and \(C = 6\), only if we assume that there is more than one coder.
Otherwise, we could also have the solution \(A = 4\) and \(C = 1\). As the question talks about administrators and coders, it is reasonable to assume that there is more than one of each type.
Sufficient.

Answer D

why is it reasonable to assume there is more than 1 coder?

(2) uses plural wording: "... coders' salaries were ..." so we can assume that there is more than 1 coder. Though I agree that GMAT would probably made this clearer.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Re: A certain IT department of fewer than 15 people [#permalink]
why is it reasonable to assume there is more than 1 coder?[/quote]

(2) uses plural wording: "... coders' salaries were ..." so we can assume that there is more than 1 coder. Though I agree that GMAT would probably made this clearer.

Hope it's clear.[/quote]

Thank You Bunuel for clarification.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: A certain IT department of fewer than 15 people hires coders [#permalink]
Kudos
Alterego wrote:
A certain IT department of fewer than 15 people hires coders and systems administrators. Coders are paid $55,000 per year on average, while system administrators are paid an average yearly salary of $45,000. What is the ratio of coders to systems administrators?

(1) If two of the coders were made systems administrators instead, the yearly payroll for the IT department would be $535,000.

(2) If systems administrators' salaries were reduced by one-third, and coders' salaries were increased to $58,000, the department would save $57,000 in yearly payroll.

Just think about the problem before lifting the pen.

Department has coders(x) + system admins(y).

A) 55x + 45y = 550,000

11x + 9y = 110,000
After that use brute force to determine the value of x and y. Remember x + y <15.
You will get a unique soln.

b) 55000x+45000y-(30000y + 58000x) = 57000

Use brute force to get the answer. It will be unique.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V34
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
In this case it is coders + sys administrators < 11.. How is it possible to test a wide range of values ?

At least if it was c + s = 11 we would have limited options, but since the situation here is c + s <11, there can be do many options
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 212
WE:Project Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
EvaJager wrote:
Alterego wrote:

Let's drop the thousands and work with smaller numbers.
Denote by A the number of administrators and by C that of the coders.

(1) We can write the following equation:
\(55(C - 2) + 45(A + 2) = 535\), which can be written as \(11C + 9A = 111\).
We have to keep in mind that \(A + C < 15\) and that A and C are positive integers.
Checking for possibile solutions under the given constraints, we find a single pair \(A=5\) and \(C=6.\)
Sufficient.

(2) Now we can write \(55C + 45A - (58C+30A) = 57.\)
We have to solve the equation \(5A-C=19.\) Again, A and C must be positive integers and \(A + C < 15\).
We find a single pair of admissible solution, \(A = 5\) and \(C = 6\), only if we assume that there is more than one coder.
Otherwise, we could also have the solution \(A = 4\) and \(C = 1\). As the question talks about administrators and coders, it is reasonable to assume that there is more than one of each type.
Sufficient.

Answer D

Shouldn't we be multiplying the LHS by 12? (considering that the figures given are avg salaries and RHS is denoting yearly payout)

Bunuel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi saleem1992,

We have two pieces of information that limit the possibilities: the number of each type of worker AND either the total salaries (in Fact 1) or the money saved (in Fact 2).

As an example of how there are limited options, consider what were told in Fact 1....

Fact 1: ......the yearly payroll for the IT department would be $535,000.

$535,000 is a rather specific number and it's made up of a certain number of $55,000 employees and $45,000 employees. While it would take a bit of 'brute force' work, it wouldn't take that much to eliminate the wrong answers.

For example:
10 Coders = 10(55k) = 550,000 which is TOO MUCH MONEY. Therefore, the number of coders MUST be less than 10.
9 Coders = 9(55k) = 495,000, leaving 40,000 left over, but that's not the right amount of money for another employee. The number of coders CANNOT = 9 either.
Etc.

Working down, you'll eventually find that there's just one set of values that fits these parameters. Thus, Fact 1 is SUFFICIENT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
Alterego wrote:

I have a problem with the wording of the question.
Just want to confirm is it me or the fact that the opening statement says the IT Dept "Hires" coders and systems administrators makes it seem like total number = Already present IT people (less than 15) + Coders and System Admin.

That interpretation could be avoided in my view if the Question did not add "hires"

Please let me know if i am missing something in the language of the original question.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64897 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
earnit wrote:
Alterego wrote:

Just want to confirm is it me or the fact that the opening statement says the IT Dept "Hires" coders and systems administrators makes it seem like total number = Already present IT people (less than 15) + Coders and System Admin.

That interpretation could be avoided in my view if the Question did not add "hires"

Please let me know if i am missing something in the language of the original question.

Yes, the word "hires" could have been avoided since it hints at additions to the total number i.e. 15. But the rest of the question clarifies that "hires" means the team has "coders" and "system administrators". Mind you, even in the actual GMAT, the wording will not be what we want. Overall, the question should clarify and not leave any ambiguity. This question does a reasonable job of that and is hence acceptable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 616
Schools: Tepper '18
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
earnit wrote:
Alterego wrote:

Yes, the word "hires" could have been avoided since it hints at additions to the total number i.e. 15. But the rest of the question clarifies that "hires" means the team has "coders" and "system administrators". Mind you, even in the actual GMAT, the wording will not be what we want. Overall, the question should clarify and not leave any ambiguity. This question does a reasonable job of that and is hence acceptable.

I got to the equations but wasn't sure of how to solve these. I have come across such questions before as well where one equation with 2 variables can be solved. Is there a way of doing this? I find it extremely tough to just put in numbers. How can we be sure that there is a unique solution?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64897 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
MeghaP wrote:
I got to the equations but wasn't sure of how to solve these. I have come across such questions before as well where one equation with 2 variables can be solved. Is there a way of doing this? I find it extremely tough to just put in numbers. How can we be sure that there is a unique solution?

Case 2 in this post discusses this concept: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/06 ... -of-thumb/

It shows you how to get all integer solutions given an equation in two variables. Sometimes, you will get one unique solution to the equation. The post tells you how to find it.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts