Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain list consists of several different integers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 119 [4] , given: 14

A certain list consists of several different integers [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 06:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:39) correct 53% (00:42) wrong based on 184 sessions
A certain list consist of several different integers. Is the product of all integers in the list positive?

(1) The product of the greatest and smallest of the integers in the list is positive.
(2) There is an even number of integers in the list.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 08 Aug 2012, 04:32, edited 1 time in total.
OA added.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Stuck with an easy number property....:( [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 10:00
Ithink both statement together is not sufficient, so what is the real answer here? why do care about the existence of 0 ?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3611

Kudos [?]: 28841 [2] , given: 2854

Re: Stuck with an easy number property....:( [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
diemxua175 wrote:
Ithink both statement together is not sufficient, so what is the real answer here? why do care about the existence of 0 ?

A certain list consist of several different integers. Is the product of all integers in the list positive?

(1) The product of the greatest and smallest of the integers in the list is positive.
Two cases:
A. all integers in the list are positive: in this case product of all integers would be positive;
OR
B. all integers in the list are negative: now, if there is even number of integers, then product of all integers would be positive BUT if there is odd number of integers, then product of all integers would be negative.

Not sufficient.

Clearly insufficient. {-2, 2} - answer NO; {2,4} - answer YES.

(1)+(2) Now if we have scenario A (from 1) then answer is YES. If we have scenario B, then as there are even number of integers (from 2) the product of all integers still would be positive, so answer is still YES. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Stuck with an easy number property....:( [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 17:06
Dear Bunuel:

I am sorry still i am not clear.

Can you explain how are you sure From ST 1 that all are either - or +? We just know smallest and largest number's multiplication is positive. if we combine ST 1 & 2, it may be

(i.e, lets say 6 even numbers)

- - - - + - = -
+ + - - + + = +
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28841 [6] , given: 2854

Re: Stuck with an easy number property....:( [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 17:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
moniralinda wrote:
Dear Bunuel:

I am sorry still i am not clear.

Can you explain how are you sure From ST 1 that all are either - or +? We just know smallest and largest number's multiplication is positive. if we combine ST 1 & 2, it may be

(i.e, lets say 6 even numbers)

- - - - + - = -
+ + - - + + = +

(1) says: The product of the greatest and smallest of the integers in the list is positive.

Product of two multiple to be positive they must have the same sign:

So either: smallest * greatest = negative * negative and in this case as both the smallest and the greatest are negative then ALL integers in the list are negative OR smallest * greatest = positive * positive and in this case as both the smallest and the greatest are positive then ALL integers in the list are positive.

Hope it's clear.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Stuck with an easy number property....:( [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 19:01
Ohh.... Genius...Thanks a lot! Now I understood how come all have the same sign...Thank u sooo much.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Re: Stuck with an easy number property....:( [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 22:50
great question! Kudos are due

Completely missed it!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 14

Re: Product of integers - Gmatprep [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 01:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Janealams,

1. The above DS question is a Yes/No type Question.
2. Question Stem: Products of all integers in a list positive?
=> [a, b, c, r,t,d] or [1, 2, -9, -3] - a few random numbers in a set
3. Statement I: The product of Greatest and smallest integer in the List is +ve
=> Case 1: all integers in the list are +ve: [1, 2, 3, 4] => 4*1 = 4 = +ve -- YES
=> Case 2: all integers in the list are -ve: [-1, -2, -3,-4] - => (-4)*(-1) = 4 = +ve -- YES
=> Case 3: few integers in the list are -ve: [-1, 2, 3,4] - => (4)*(-1) = 4 = -ve -- NO
Hence Statement I is Not Sufficient.
4. Statement 2: There is an even number of Integers in the list
=> We know from number properties that -ve no multiplied even number of times is +ve
and +ve no multiplied even number of times is +ve
Ex: -2 * -2 * -3*-7 = +ve and 2 * 7 * 9 *10 = +ve
This statement provides only information about the Integers in the Set and this cant be helpful in determining the
Question stem. So NO - In Sufficient.
5. Now Taking I and II together.
=> We know that from I - All numbers in set are either +ve or -ve and from II that there are even number of Integers.
Hence we can use the above information to get the value if the product of all Integers is +ve or not.

Do let me know, if you need further explanation.

Thanks,
Arvind.

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication"

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 16

Re: Product of integers - Gmatprep [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 01:55
arvindravulavaru wrote:
Hi Janealams,

=> Case 1: all integers in the list are +ve: [1, 2, 3, 4] => 4*1 = 4 = +ve -- YES
=> Case 2: all integers in the list are -ve: [-1, -2, -3,-4] - => (-4)*(-1) = 4 = +ve -- YES
=> Case 3: few integers in the list are -ve: [-1, 2, 3,4] - => (4)*(-1) = 4 = -ve -- NO
=> We know from number properties that -ve no multiplied even number of times is +ve
This statement provides only information about the Integers in the Set and this cant be helpful in determining the
=> We know that from I - All numbers in set are either +ve or -ve and from II that there are even number of Integers.
Hence we can use the above information to get the value if the product of all Integers is +ve or not.

Thanks,
Arvind.

Thanks Arvind for your explanation. One point I was missing that if the smallest and the greatest integers have same signs mean the numbers in between have the same sign too. Thanks again much appreciated!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 6

Re: Product of integers - Gmatprep [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 13:07
Stem rephrase: There are even number of negative numbers or all are positive.

1. Not sufficient information on the middle numbers, insufficient
2. Even numbers does not mean even negatives or all positives, insufficient

Together, no overlapping information, so insufficient. E

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
Please consider giving +1 Kudos if deserved!

DS - If negative answer only, still sufficient. No need to find exact solution.
PS - Always look at the answers first
CR - Read the question stem first, hunt for conclusion
SC - Meaning first, Grammar second
RC - Mentally connect paragraphs as you proceed. Short = 2min, Long = 3-4 min

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 16

Re: Product of integers - Gmatprep [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 16:13
BDSunDevil wrote:
Can you reconfirm the OA. I am getting E.

The official answer is C. Its a gmatprep question.

Statement 1 tells the product of the smallest and greatest numbers is positive which means they are both of the same sign, either positive or negative. If the signs of the the smallest and greatest number in a range same the numbers in between are of the same sign. e.g (-8,x,y,z,-1) we can say that x y and z are all negative.

statement 2 say number of items are even ....> product of even number of positive values is positive, product of even number is negative values is positive.

Statement 1 and 2 together r sufficient.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28841 [0], given: 2854

Re: Product of integers - Gmatprep [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 05:46
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: A certain list consists of several different integers [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 18:37
Quote:
(1)+(2) Now if we have scenario A (from 1) then answer is YES. If we have scenario B, then as there are even number of integers (from 2) the product of all integers still would be positive, so answer is still YES. Sufficient.

Hi, I have one question here. Statement 2 says, there are even number of integers in the list. How can we assume all are negative or positive? What if, (-,-,-,+). This will result in negative.

I think answer should be E. Could you please explain. Thanks.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28841 [1] , given: 2854

Re: A certain list consists of several different integers [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 20:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
pgmat wrote:
Quote:

Hi, I have one question here. Statement 2 says, there are even number of integers in the list. How can we assume all are negative or positive? What if, (-,-,-,+). This will result in negative.

I think answer should be E. Could you please explain. Thanks.

Answer to the question is C, not E.

(1)+(2): From statement (1) we have that either all integers are negative or all integers are positive (check this: a-certain-list-consists-of-several-different-integers-126040.html#p878206). Statement (2) says that there are even number of elements in the set. So in either of cases the product will be positive.

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 30

Re: A certain list consists of several different integers [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 09:04
Statement 2 is insufficient, because it says there are even number of items.

But from the first statement the numbers are either on the negative side of the number line or positive side of the number line.
only then multiplying the larger and smaller will lead to a positive number.

Ignoring the positive side, because odd number of items or even number of items will lead to a positive outcome.

But for the negative side of the number line to become postive there should be an even number of multiples.

Gonna make it this time

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 562

Re: Product of integers - Gmatprep [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 06:49
Janealams wrote:
arvindravulavaru wrote:
Hi Janealams,

Thanks,
Arvind.

Thanks Arvind for your explanation. One point I was missing that if the smallest and the greatest integers have same signs mean the numbers in between have the same sign too. Thanks again much appreciated!

i missed the same.. tricky stuffs u c

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 543

Re: Product of integers - Gmatprep [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 23:02
arvindravulavaru wrote:
Hi Janealams,

Thanks,
Arvind.

Isn't this case incorrect as the stem says the product of the largest and smallest integer is positive? Is there an example where the list of largest and smallest is positive and the product of the integers can be negative?

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Product of integers - Gmatprep [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 23:11
Expert's post
fozzzy wrote:
arvindravulavaru wrote:
Hi Janealams,

Thanks,
Arvind.

Isn't this case incorrect as the stem says the product of the largest and smallest integer is positive? Is there an example where the list of largest and smallest is positive and the product of the integers can be negative?

Yes, this solution is not clear.

Proper solution is here: a-certain-list-consists-of-several-different-integers-126040.html#p729037

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 543

Re: A certain list consists of several different integers [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 23:23
Thanks!

all positive 1,2,3,4 largest is 4, smallest is 1 product positive. When we multiply all the numbers the result is positive YES

all negative -1,-2,-3,-4 largest is -1 smallest is -4 product is positive When we multiply all the numbers YES

third scenario -1,-2,-3 Largest -1, smallest -3 product is positive but in this case when we multiply all the numbers we get negative result so its NO

no constraint here it could be 1,2,3,4 in this case YES

-1,2,3,4 product is negative so answer is NO

Combined 1+2 we have the case highlighted in Blue so its sufficient! Answer C

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: A certain list consists of several different integers [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 23:25
Expert's post
fozzzy wrote:
Thanks!

all positive 1,2,3,4 largest is 4, smallest is 1 product positive. When we multiply all the numbers the result is positive YES

all negative -1,-2,-3,-4 largest is -1 smallest is -4 product is positive When we multiply all the numbers YES

third scenario -1,-2,-3 Largest -1, smallest -3 product is positive but in this case when we multiply all the numbers we get negative result so its NO

no constraint here it could be 1,2,3,4 in this case YES

-1,2,3,4 product is negative so answer is NO

Combined 1+2 we have the case highlighted in Blue so its sufficient! Answer C

Yes, that's correct.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Re: A certain list consists of several different integers   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2013, 23:25