Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 21:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain list consists of several different integers. Is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A certain list consists of several different integers. Is [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 21:04
A certain list consists of several different integers. Is the product of all the integers in the list positive?
a. The product of the greatest and the smallest of the integers in the list is positive
b. There is an even number of integers in the list
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 04:11
C.

Stmt1 suggests that all the items are either positive or negative.

Stmt2 is not sufficient as one of the numbers can be 0.

Stmt1 and 2 together are sufficient.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 04:18
a. Could be either 6,-1,-2,4 or 6,-1,-2,-3,4
Not Sufficient

a. Could be either -2,-1,-2,4 or -1,-2,-3,-4
Not Sufficient

Together

Could be 6,-1,-2,-3,3,4 or 6,-1,-2,-3,-4,4

So Not Sufficient
I would go with E
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 14:48
i will go with C as well..

basically we need to know if 0 is not in the middle..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 18:02
I'm confused with this
OK suppose answer is C

If highest and lowest number is positive and there's even numbers of integers:
set 1 (-2,1,2,-3)= positive
set 2 (-2, 1, -2, -3)= negative

SO shouldn't answer be E?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 21:59
redbeanaddict wrote:
I'm confused with this
OK suppose answer is C

If highest and lowest number is positive and there's even numbers of integers:
set 1 (-2,1,2,-3)= positive
set 2 (-2, 1, -2, -3)= negative

SO shouldn't answer be E?

In your set1, highest number is 2 and lowest number is -3 and these do not satisfy the condition.
In your set2, highest number is 1 and lowest number is -3 and these do not satisfy the condition.
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 23:08
redbeanaddict wrote:
A certain list consists of several different integers. Is the product of all the integers in the list positive?
a. The product of the greatest and the smallest of the integers in the list is positive

when the product of two integers is positive, it means that both integers are of the same sign.

So from A we understand that the largest and smallest integer are both of same sign. This means all the integers are either positive or negative. There is NO ZERO.

If all are positive then the product is positive, but if all are negative then we need to know the number of integers in the list. Because when we multiply even number of -ve numbers we get positive product and when we multiply odd number od -ve numbers the product is -ve.

So A alone not sufficient.

From B we know that there are even number of numbers. Not sufficient because we are not informed anything about the sign of the numbers. What if there is a 0 in between ?? Then the product wont be positive !! it will be 0

So B alone not sufficient.

Combined, sufficient ! From A we know that all numbers have same sign and there is no zero & from B we know that there are even number of numbers. SO the product is positive.

C.

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 00:46
amitdgr wrote:
redbeanaddict wrote:

when the product of two integers is positive, it means that both integers are of the same sign.

So from A we understand that the largest and smallest integer are both of same sign. This means all the integers are either positive or negative. There is NO ZERO.

If all are positive then the product is positive, but if all are negative then we need to know the number of integers in the list. Because when we multiply even number of -ve numbers we get positive product and when we multiply odd number od -ve numbers the product is -ve.

From B we know that there are even number of numbers. Not sufficient because we are not informed anything about the sign of the numbers. What if there is a 0 in between ?? Then the product wont be positive !! it will be 0

Combined, sufficient ! From A we know that all numbers have same sign and there is no zero & from B we know that there are even number of numbers. SO the product is positive.

C.

Amit,

I find a logical flaw in your explanation. Product of greatest and smallest is postive it means both are of same sign but doesn't assure you all are of same sign. It gives you indication of all other integers signs. As the set is made of all integers, we can assume there is no ZERO.

So by stmt 1 - not sufficient - it doesnt give no. of integers in a set - but it gives you hint. suppose both smallest and greatest are positive integers then product is positive and all other digits lie between these 2. same is the case with negative integers. So it could be either positive or negative integers
by stmt 2 - not sufficient - it doesen't give you sign

combine both : it gives you even no of digits and either all positives or all negative digits - so by combining either way you get the product positive so Ans is C . I hope this helps. pls correct me where i m wrong.

OA ??
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 01:03
rakeshmrana wrote:
amitdgr wrote:
redbeanaddict wrote:

C.

Amit,

I find a logical flaw in your explanation. Product of greatest and smallest is postive it means both are of same sign but doesn't assure you all are of same sign. It gives you indication of all other integers signs. As the set is made of all integers, we can assume there is no ZERO.

So by stmt 1 - not sufficient - it doesnt give no. of integers in a set - but it gives you hint. suppose both smallest and greatest are positive integers then product is positive and all other digits lie between these 2. same is the case with negative integers. So it could be either positive or negative integers
by stmt 2 - not sufficient - it doesen't give you sign

combine both : it gives you even no of digits and either all positives or all negative digits - so by combining either way you get the product positive so Ans is C . I hope this helps. pls correct me where i m wrong.

OA ??

ZERO is an even integer. So when a set is made of integers, it means that it can include zero, positive and negative number.

Consider this set { -5,-3,0,3,100} , this is a set of integers. So is { 0,2,4,5,10}

In our example we have statement 1 mentioning that the largest and smallest integer give out a positive product.

So the largest and smallest number have to be the same signed integers. This means, we have a set of integers that contains integers that are either left of zero or right of zero.

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 05:47
based on the question is has to be an E

OA???

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 20:57
I agree with amit's logic. Answer should be C. OA??
Intern
Intern

Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 21:22
I think the answer is c.
Statement 1 states that the mulplication of the greatest and smallest integer is +ve. It just means that these 2 integers should be of the same sign. ie; positive*positive or negative*negative. It does not mention the number of digits. If odd, then the whole product is negative otherwise positive or 0 if it is included.

Hence statement 1 is not sufficient

Statement 2 states that there is an even number of integers in the list. This means that it could be 3 negative numbers and one positive number or one negative and one positive or 2 negative and 2 positive. So it still could go both ways.

COmbining these 2 means that there are even number of positive or negative numbers.

Hence C.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 506 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 21:26
redbeanaddict wrote:

Intresting!!!!!!!!!!

C. There are even number of integers and they all are either -ve or +ve. in either case, 0 is not there.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

SVP
SVP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 39

Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 21:30
redbeanaddict wrote:

from a

all the numbers have the sam sign, however depending on their number that their product would be +ve or -ve....insuff

from 2

not suff

both

C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 09:40
LiveStronger wrote:
Not Sufficient

b. Could be either -2,-1,-2,4 or -1,-2,-3,-4
Not Sufficient

Together

So Not Sufficient
I would go with E

Found my mistake and a terrible one too :evil: , yep the answer has to be C
Intern
Intern

Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 15:17
rakeshmrana wrote:
amitdgr wrote:
redbeanaddict wrote:

C.

Amit,

I find a logical flaw in your explanation. Product of greatest and smallest is postive it means both are of same sign but doesn't assure you all are of same sign. [.......]
OA ??

yes, it does assure you. If smallest and largest are of the same sign, then everything in between is the same sign as well.
Answer C.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: even integers [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 15:55
LiveStronger wrote:
Not Sufficient

a. Could be either -2,-1,-2,4 or -1,-2,-3,-4
Not Sufficient

Together

So Not Sufficient
I would go with E

In examples for A, we have to consider "the products of the greatest integer and the smallest one is positive". In your example, 6, -1, -2, 4 does not meet the requirement because 6*-2 = -12 (not positive).

IMO C
Re: even integers   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2008, 15:55