Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain mayor has proposed a fee of five dollars per day

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [2] , given: 44

CAT Tests
A certain mayor has proposed a fee of five dollars per day [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 23:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:04) correct 37% (01:34) wrong based on 163 sessions
A certain mayor has proposed a fee of five dollars per day on private vehicles entering the city, claiming that the fee will alleviate the city’s traffic congestion. The mayor reasons that, since the fee will exceed the cost of round-trip bus fare from many nearby points, many people will switch from using their cars to using the bus.
Which of the following statements, if true, provides the best evidence that the mayor’s reasoning is flawed?
(A) Projected increases in the price of gasoline will increase the cost of taking a private vehicle into the city.
(B) The cost of parking fees already makes it considerably more expensive for most people to take a private vehicle into the city than to take a bus.
(C) Most of the people currently riding the bus do not own private vehicles.
(D) Many commuters opposing the mayor’s plan have indicated that they would rather endure traffic congestion than pay a five-dollar-per day fee.
(E) During the average workday, private vehicles owned and operated by people living within the city account for twenty percent of the city’s traffic congestion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: certain mayor has proposed a fee of five dollars per day [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 03:46
paraphrasing the answer will save you time and improve your accuracy..

clearly B tells us why reason of the official is flawed as people are already ready to pay extra money to use their cars
and hence increase in the fee will not bother them..

just one more month for exam...

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A certain mayor has proposed a fee of five dollars per day [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 09:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 7

Re: A certain mayor has proposed a fee of five dollars per day [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 08:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
PUNEETSCHDV wrote:
A certain mayor has proposed a fee of five dollars per day on private vehicles entering the city, claiming that the fee will alleviate the city’s traffic congestion. The mayor reasons that, since the fee will exceed the cost of round-trip bus fare from many nearby points, many people will switch from using their cars to using the bus.
Which of the following statements, if true, provides the best evidence that the mayor’s reasoning is flawed?
(A) Projected increases in the price of gasoline will increase the cost of taking a private vehicle into the city.
(B) The cost of parking fees already makes it considerably more expensive for most people to take a private vehicle into the city than to take a bus.
(C) Most of the people currently riding the bus do not own private vehicles.
(D) Many commuters opposing the mayor’s plan have indicated that they would rather endure traffic congestion than pay a five-dollar-per day fee.
(E) During the average workday, private vehicles owned and operated by people living within the city account for twenty percent of the city’s traffic congestion.

In the interest of fleshing out the reasoning a bit here, you can indeed simplify the argument as follows:

(P1) If driving a car costs more than taking the bus --> many people will switch from cars to buses
(P2) The proposed fee will make the cost of driving a car higher than busing.
(C) Therefore, the fee will lead people to switch from cars to buses.

Now, consider the answer choices with respect to the argument.
(A) Gas prices are irrelevant. They may make the fee superfluous, but they do not really undermine the reasoning that the fee would have its intended effect.
(B) If it's already considerably more expensive to drive a car into the city, we have reason to doubt premise 1.
(C) Current bus riders are irrelevant. We're concerned about switching.
(D) Opinions about the fee do not affect whether or not it would have the intended effect.
(E) This fact has nothing to do with costs, so we can ignore it.

So, the answer that provides the best evidence the original argument is flawed is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmat
(866) 292-0660

Re: A certain mayor has proposed a fee of five dollars per day   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2013, 08:49