Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 07:58

STARTING SHORTLY:

Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 15:37
Buffdaddy provided the explanation that I was gonna provide - +1 for him.

What is the OA ?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 03:51
For me it is A and here is my reason.
The action is praiseworthy if the temptations are overcome. Even if the action is done by virtue of it being a habit ,that very habit has been developed by overcoming the temptations.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 05:41
A :)
Intern
Intern

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 05:42
I am also with A.

B doesn't work for me since B doesn't state whether the people who face strong moral temptation do good actions at all. It only refers to the frequency of temptation. It does not say that people who face temptation resist it.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 09:18
I will go with E . What is OA?

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 6

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 17:15
A for me too.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 02:32
Its A.

This is a paradox question so only A takes into consideration both the premises.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson, NYU Stern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 09:17
I agree that A is a nice one because it refers to both premises.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 01:51
ITS A
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NCC,SAE,YHIA
WE 1: 3 years international sales & mktg-projects

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 11:13
A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is praiseworthy only when one overcomes a powerful temptation in order to perform them. Yet this same moral system also holds that performing good actions out of habit is sometimes praiseworthy.
P1-Moral system ->Actions Praiseworthy->ONLY -> overcoming temptation
P2-Same system ->Actions Praiseworthy->SOMETIMES -> out of habit.

(A) People who perform good actions out of habit have often acquired this habit after years of having resisted temptation.
Considers complete set of people performing good actions out of habit. That means whosoever performs good actions out of habit does it against temptation, therefore ,
according to P1 everyone shall be worthy of praise, not true as per P2.
(B) Most people face strong moral temptation from time to time but few people have to endure it regularly.
According to moral system , an action is considered praiseworthy only if it overcomes powerful temptation.
Most people face strong moral temptation sometimes, reason why their actions are not always considered praiseworthy.
Few face it regularly-> whenever they perform good action it is against powerful temptation, hence agrees with P1 and are considered praiseworthy.

(C) People virtually always perform actions they think are good, regardless of what other people may think.
Stimulus focuses on Moral system and not on individual opinion.
(D) Since it is difficult to tell what is going on in another person’s mind, it is often hard to know exactly how
strongly a person is tempted.
Same as C , stimulus does not depend on whats going in other person's mind.
(E) It is far more common for people to perform good actions out of habit than for them to do so against strong temptation.
May be true but paradox is regarding the praise bestowed for the actions and not on frequency with which they are performed.

IMO B :wink:

Sun Tzu-Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2011, 04:38
+1 For B.

i had to choose between B & D. i choose B.

OA??

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2011, 09:54
I thought A fit the ? perfectly. This is a paradox ? right? It's asking how something that is such a struggle to do can be a habit.

Last edited by timmyd on 10 Jun 2011, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Stockholm School of Economics (MSc Finance) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2011, 04:26
"A" only reconciles both parts of the question
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2011, 06:07
This is paradox question.
Any choice which can explain why both the situations can occur will be the right answer.Answers are inline.
Cheers
vd wrote:
A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is praiseworthy only when one overcomes a powerful temptation in order to perform them. Yet this same moral system also holds that performing good actions out of habit is sometimes praiseworthy.

Which one of the following, if true, does the most to reconcile the apparent conflict in the moral system described above?

(A) People who perform good actions out of habit have often acquired this habit after years of having resisted temptation.deals with both the events successfully and convincingly.Correct
(B) Most people face strong moral temptation from time to time but few people have to endure it regularly. Only concerns with the temptation aspect.incorrect
(C) People virtually always perform actions they think are good, regardless of what other people may think.Irrelevant.incorrect
(D) Since it is difficult to tell what is going on in another person’s mind, it is often hard to know exactly how strongly a person is tempted.only deals with temptations aspect(that too obscurely).Hence incorrect.
(E) It is far more common for people to perform good actions out of habit than for them to do so against strong temptation.Talks about the the probability of the events occurring but not the reason why they should occur.incorrect

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2011, 15:12
I go with (A)...
My reason
(A)- People who perform good actions out of habit have often acquired this habit after years of having resisted temptation. - Earlier had temptation, so 2nd part of paradox resolved...Now it has become a habit, so 1st part of paradox resolved...
(B) Most people face strong moral temptation from time to time but few people have to endure it regularly - Most-Tone is different....Also not exactly resolving in any way
(C) People virtually always perform actions they think are good, regardless of what other people may think. - Irrelevant Ans.
(D) Since it is difficult to tell what is going on in another person’s mind, it is often hard to know exactly how strongly a person is tempted. - Irrelevant
(E) It is far more common for people to perform good actions out of habit than for them to do so against strong temptation. - Not resolving paradox, but similar Ans.

Labor cost for typing this post >= Labor cost for pushing the Kudos Button
kudos-what-are-they-and-why-we-have-them-94812.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2011, 22:23
Initially went with E. But, i had to agree with few good explanation for A from Ykaiim, nusmavrik, mojorising800 and krishp84
+1 guys
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MENSA India
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q44 V32
GMAT 4: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 5: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2011, 22:23
Quote:
vdhawan1 wrote:
7. A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is praiseworthy only when one overcomes a powerful temptation in order to perform them. Yet this same moral system also holds that performing good actions out of habit is sometimes praiseworthy.
Which one of the following, if true, does the most to reconcile the apparent conflict in the moral system described above?

(A) People who perform good actions out of habit have often acquired this habit after years of having resisted temptation.
(B) Most people face strong moral temptation from time to time but few people have to endure it regularly.
(C) People virtually always perform actions they think are good, regardless of what other people may think.
(D) Since it is difficult to tell what is going on in another person’s mind, it is often hard to know exactly how strongly a person is tempted.
(E) It is far more common for people to perform good actions out of habit than for them to do so against strong temptation.

I think the answer is A.

The question asks what will reconcile (resolve/logically explain) the relationship between the two causes of doing good deeds (out of habit or out of resistance to temptation).
(A) Talks about "possible reason between good deed and temptation"...says maybe it becomes a habit after years of resisting temptation
(B) Talks about "frequency of people facing temptation and their reaction to it"
(C) Talks about "irrelevance of temptation when doing a good deed"
(D) Talks about "difficulty in predicting the real motive behind a good deed" (whether a habit or a result of resisting temptation)
(E) Talks about "comparison between likely causes behind a good deed" (habit fares better on resistance to temptation)

Always aim at the moon. Never mind if you miss, you will fall in the stars :-)

Intern
Intern
Schools: LSB, ISB, INSEAD, AGSM

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2011, 23:32
anirudhoswal wrote:
vdhawan1 wrote:
7. A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is praiseworthy only when one overcomes a powerful temptation in order to perform them. Yet this same moral system also holds that performing good actions out of habit is sometimes praiseworthy.
(D) Since it is difficult to tell what is going on in another person’s mind, it is often hard to know exactly how strongly a person is tempted.

I go for E... heres why -
In the stem,
Statement 1: performing good actions is praiseworthy only when one overcomes temptation
Statement 2: performing good actions out of habit is sometimes praiseworthy

From E,
far more common for people to perform good actions out of habit than for them to do so against strong temptation

So, a lot of people go around doing good actions out of habit all the time.
But, this is not usually praisewothry as it is driven by temptation.
However, sometimes it is not driven by tempatation and so it is praiseworthy...
exactly the point advocated by the moral system.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 2

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 01:40
+1 for A..Same thought process as VD's

Fight till you succeed like a gladiator..or doom your life which can be invincible

Intern
Intern

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 04:27
vd wrote:

Re: CR Question   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2011, 04:27