Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 1

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 10:33
A
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 10

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 01:36
using variance test on A and B.

A with a yes strongly supports the conclusion.With a No, crashes the 2nd part of the paradox.

B is neutral.

A it is.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 04:47
A is the only option which says, even though a good action is performed out of habit, at some point of time the habit is earned fighting against the temptation
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 06:49
A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is praiseworthy only when one overcomes a powerful temptation in order to perform them. Yet this same moral system also holds that performing good actions out of habit is sometimes praiseworthy.

Which one of the following, if true, does the most to reconcile the apparent conflict in the moral system described above?
Need to find a link between "overcoming powerful temptation" and "performing good actions out of habit"

(A) People who perform good actions out of habit have often acquired this habit after years of having resisted temptation. BINGO!!!!
(B) Most people face strong moral temptation from time to time but few people have to endure it regularly. NO Link
(C) People virtually always perform actions they think are good, regardless of what other people may think. NO
(D) Since it is difficult to tell what is going on in another person’s mind, it is often hard to know exactly how strongly a person is tempted. I think it's a trap ans, the person might have powerful temptation but I don't know
(E) It is far more common for people to perform good actions out of habit than for them to do so against strong temptation. "Far more Common" is not always
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 08:00
tough one...thanks for the explanation
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
I am with A....

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 41

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 07:56
Tough one. I chose E.

If you like my post, consider giving me Kudos !!

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 06:21
Very tough one..looking I went for E then looking at explanations..understood correct one is A.

time killing one...

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 2

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 18:59
A for me it is the only one that doesn't introduce irrelevant or conflicting arguments.
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14
GMAT Date: 10-24-2011

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 05:51
buffdaddy wrote:
vdhawan1 wrote:
7. A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is praiseworthy only when one overcomes a powerful temptation in order to perform them. Yet this same moral system also holds that performing good actions out of habit is sometimes praiseworthy.
Which one of the following, if true, does the most to reconcile the apparent conflict in the moral system described above?

we basically have to find some common ground in the above two conflicting views

(A) People who perform good actions out of habit have often acquired this habit after years of having resisted temptation.
so do these people still overcome temptation which performing good actions out of habit? This isn't clear.
(B) Most people face strong moral temptation from time to time but few people have to endure it regularly. this looks good. It says that few people endure temptation regularly. So lets say if these people also perform good actions out of habit (regularly) then there will be some common ground and hence SOMETIMES PRAISEWORTHY is true
(C) People virtually always perform actions they think are good, regardless of what other people may think. irrelevant. there is no measure of temptation in this option.
(D) Since it is difficult to tell what is going on in another person’s mind, it is often hard to know exactly how strongly a person is tempted. irrelevant. there is no habit being shown in this question and neither is any reference to how often a person is tempted
(E) It is far more common for people to perform good actions out of habit than for them to do so against strong temptation.this does nothing to bridge the gap in our two conflicting views. If anything, it strengthens the conflict

My choice is A, because "performing good actions out of habit is sometimes praiseworthy because people performing out of habit have often acquired this habit after years of having resisted temptation."
In other words, if all such habits are acquired after years of having resisted temptation, the habitual good actions should not be praiseworthy "sometimes," but "always."

In case of B, "regular endurance" doesn't necessary mean "they have endured so often that such endurance became habit."

This is what I think. How'bout this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 6

Re: A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 05:12
A for me.

"People who perform good actions out of habit have often acquired this habit after years of having resisted temptation."--Thus every time an habitual do-gooder is praised, the praise is both retroactively worthy since the do-gooder has overcome temptations in the past.

And this reconciles the seeming contradiction.

Cheers

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 05:48
IMO A .. its the only option that talks about both the arguments and establishes any relation between the two.

B doesnt talk about performing a good action out of habit.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 4

Re: A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 08:02
vd wrote:
A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is praiseworthy only when one overcomes a powerful temptation in order to perform them. Yet this same moral system also holds that performing good actions out of habit is sometimes praiseworthy.

(A) People who perform good actions out of habit have often acquired this habit after years of having resisted temptation.
(B) Most people face strong moral temptation from time to time but few people have to endure it regularly.
(C) People virtually always perform actions they think are good, regardless of what other people may think.
(D) Since it is difficult to tell what is going on in another person’s mind, it is often hard to know exactly how strongly a person is tempted.
(E) It is far more common for people to perform good actions out of habit than for them to do so against strong temptation.

IMO A is correct here..A correctly satisfies the two arguments present in the stimulus.
E is incorrect IMO as it is nowhere compared what is required more to perform good actions. Stimulus just talks about two factors but doesn't compare them.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 10:58
E for me.
my reasoning-
A links nothing to praiseworthy as written in the stimulus.
E makes more sense.

GMAT 1- 770(Q 51 V44)
cya ISB in 2013 !!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 18:59
2 points are stated in stimulus:
a)performing good actions is praiseworthy only when one overcomes a powerful temptation
b)performing good actions out of habit is sometimes praiseworthy.

We are asked to find out the conflict...of all the options, option (A) reconciles the conflict best because performing good actions by overcoming powerful temptation should be more praiseworthy than performing good actions out of habit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 51

Re: A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 01:52
A is the answer .A good question.Here goes the explanation:-
The argument states that the people who do good things only by resisting temptation are praiseworthy.But the same argument also states that people who do good things out of habit are still praiseworthy.This is only possible if people who do good things out of habit have already resisted temptation.This is stated in option A!!

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 27

Re: A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 05:32
(B) Most people face strong moral temptation from time to time but few people have to endure it regularly.
Has no bearing on the paradox.

(C) People virtually always perform actions they think are good, regardless of what other people may think.
Again, no relation.

(D) Since it is difficult to tell what is going on in another person’s mind, it is often hard to know exactly how strongly a person is tempted.
New information that deviates from the subject.

(E) It is far more common for people to perform good actions out of habit than for them to do so against strong temptation.
What difference does this make to the paradox? Nothing.

This is bang on. It tells precisely why morals in that society praise those who habitually perform good deeds.

petrifiedbutstanding

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Real Estate
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Re: A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 07:48
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-05-09 at 9.16.15 pm.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-09 at 9.16.15 pm.png [ 18.11 KiB | Viewed 122 times ]
Re: A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is   [#permalink] 09 May 2014, 07:48