Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 18:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 04:26
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (02:01) correct 28% (01:15) wrong based on 490 sessions
A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is praiseworthy only when one overcomes a powerful temptation in order to perform them. Yet this same moral system also holds that performing good actions out of habit is sometimes praiseworthy.

Which one of the following, if true, does the most to reconcile the apparent conflict in the moral system described above?

(A) People who perform good actions out of habit have often acquired this habit after years of having resisted temptation.
(B) Most people face strong moral temptation from time to time but few people have to endure it regularly.
(C) People virtually always perform actions they think are good, regardless of what other people may think.
(D) Since it is difficult to tell what is going on in another person’s mind, it is often hard to know exactly how strongly a person is tempted.
(E) It is far more common for people to perform good actions out of habit than for them to do so against strong temptation.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 04:33
B for me ..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 04:38
bsd_lover wrote:
B for me ..

bsd_lover ...would appreciate if you can tell me ur line of thought on how u arrived at this answer

Thanks

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 04:40
Will post an explanation tomorrow if correct.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 173 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 13:28
This post received
KUDOS
vdhawan1 wrote:
7. A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is praiseworthy only when one overcomes a powerful temptation in order to perform them. Yet this same moral system also holds that performing good actions out of habit is sometimes praiseworthy.
Which one of the following, if true, does the most to reconcile the apparent conflict in the moral system described above?

we basically have to find some common ground in the above two conflicting views

(A) People who perform good actions out of habit have often acquired this habit after years of having resisted temptation.
so do these people still overcome temptation which performing good actions out of habit? This isn't clear.
(B) Most people face strong moral temptation from time to time but few people have to endure it regularly. this looks good. It says that few people endure temptation regularly. So lets say if these people also perform good actions out of habit (regularly) then there will be some common ground and hence SOMETIMES PRAISEWORTHY is true
(C) People virtually always perform actions they think are good, regardless of what other people may think. irrelevant. there is no measure of temptation in this option.
(D) Since it is difficult to tell what is going on in another person’s mind, it is often hard to know exactly how strongly a person is tempted. irrelevant. there is no habit being shown in this question and neither is any reference to how often a person is tempted
(E) It is far more common for people to perform good actions out of habit than for them to do so against strong temptation.this does nothing to bridge the gap in our two conflicting views. If anything, it strengthens the conflict
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 14:11
Agree with buffdaddy. B

MBA Blog: University of Minnesota Carlson School of Management- http://unconventionalapplicant.blogspot.com/

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 16:12
i say A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 16:37
I think it is A...but only thing that is troubleing me is the use of the word 'sometime' cause if
People performing good actions out of habit and they haveacquired this habit after years of having resisted temptation then this should always be praisworthy why only sometimes?
so my final answer is B.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 17:58
fresinha12 wrote:
i say A

I am weak at this kind of question. I choose A but I have no strong reasoning for my choice!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 17:59
I choose E because i feel that if people perform good actions of habit more often then it must be worth lesser than the actions performed after overcoming strong temptation. This seems to be inline with the argument which seems to accord different weights to these 2 kinds of actions.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 00:27
Rishi2377 : you are missing the word "often" in A. I'll go with A. Same reason. "often" will take care of "sometimes"

rishi2377 wrote:
I think it is A...but only thing that is troubleing me is the use of the word 'sometime' cause if
People performing good actions out of habit and they haveacquired this habit after years of having resisted temptation then this should always be praisworthy why only sometimes?
so my final answer is B.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 00:36
and one thought against B.

Facing Strong Moral temptation doesn’t necessarily means that the person is performing good actions. The conflict is about how praiseworthy "performing good actions" is, not "facing moral temptation"
Current Student
Schools: IESE

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 01:00
A for me
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(A), Wharton(W), Columbia(D)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 01:53
vdhawan1 wrote:
7. A certain moral system holds that performing good actions is praiseworthy only when one overcomes a powerful temptation in order to perform them. Yet this same moral system also holds that performing good actions out of habit is sometimes praiseworthy.
(B) Most people face strong moral temptation from time to time but few people have to endure it regularly.
(C) People virtually always perform actions they think are good, regardless of what other people may think.
(D) Since it is difficult to tell what is going on in another person’s mind, it is often hard to know exactly how strongly a person is tempted.
(E) It is far more common for people to perform good actions out of habit than for them to do so against strong temptation.

I go for E... heres why -
In the stem,
Statement 1: performing good actions is praiseworthy only when one overcomes temptation
Statement 2: performing good actions out of habit is sometimes praiseworthy

From E,
far more common for people to perform good actions out of habit than for them to do so against strong temptation

So, a lot of people go around doing good actions out of habit all the time.
But, this is not usually praisewothry as it is driven by temptation.
However, sometimes it is not driven by tempatation and so it is praiseworthy...
exactly the point advocated by the moral system.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 03:15
Hmm, very tough for me.

I think, A is correct.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 15:37
Buffdaddy provided the explanation that I was gonna provide - +1 for him.

What is the OA ?
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 77 [2] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 18:33
This post received
KUDOS
vdhawan1 wrote:
(I think because of the 'only' , even if one does good actions out of habit, he should first satisfy the prior condition of 'overcoming temptation'. ONLY takes precedence over the 'SOMETIMES'. A looks good.
First sentence: (A ...ONLY when X)
Second sentence: ( A ..when Y)
Any answer that attempts to resolve the paradox will address both X and Y. Thats how we can eliminate B,C,D right away. And of course, E is obviously too generic and OUT.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 03:51
For me it is A and here is my reason.
The action is praiseworthy if the temptations are overcome. Even if the action is done by virtue of it being a habit ,that very habit has been developed by overcoming the temptations.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 05:41
A :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 05:42
I am also with A.

B doesn't work for me since B doesn't state whether the people who face strong moral temptation do good actions at all. It only refers to the frequency of temptation. It does not say that people who face temptation resist it.
Re: CR Question   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2010, 05:42