95) A certain salesperson's weekly salary is equal to a fixed base salary plus a commission that is directly proportional to the number of items sold during the week.If 50 items are sold this week , what will be the salesperson's salary for this week.
1) Last week 45 items were sold.
2) Last week's salary was $405
1) last week items sold , last week salary is also required to draw a relationship (Commission proportional to items sold) ----NS
2) number of Items sold last week is also required to draw a relationship --
1 & 2
when number of items sold is 45 salary is 405
if ------------------------- 50-------ill be 410 as items sold are proportional to commission
Which is wrong
Anyways my question is the relation mentioned in the question between commission nd items sold means wht if it is not applicable here.In which scenario this relation ill be use full.
When we say that A is directly proportional to B, it means as A increases, B also increases in the same proportion. e.g. is A doubles, B also doubles. If A becomes a third, B also becomes a third and so on...
The relation is written as
A = kB (where k is the constant of proportionality)
or we can say A/B is a constant
Say, I tell you that when A is 10, B is 140. What is B when A is 25?
There are two ways to handle this:
A/B is a constant
A/B = 10/140 = 25/B
So B = 350
A = kB
10 = k*140
k = 1/14
So, relation between A and B is A = (1/14)*B
25 = (1/14)*B
B = 350
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199
Veritas Prep Reviews