Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain tropical island received food donations in the for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A certain tropical island received food donations in the for [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 19:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:56) correct 32% (00:52) wrong based on 98 sessions
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

A certain tropical island received food donations in the form of powdered milk for distribution to its poorest residents, who were thought to be malnourished. Subsequently, the rate of liver cancers among those islanders increased sharply. The donated milk was probably to blame: recent laboratory research on rats has shown that rats briefly exposed to the substances aflatoxin tend to develop liver cancer when fed casein, a milk protein. This result is relevant because _______.

A. in the tropics, peanuts, a staple of these island residents, support a mold growth that produces aflatoxin
B. the liver is more sensitive to carcinogens, of which aflatoxin may be one, than most other bodily organs
C. casein is not the only protein contained in milk
D. powdered milk is the most appropriate form in which to send milk to a tropical destination
E. the people who were given the donated milk had been screened for their ability to digest milk

This one made me think twice...

Edit: by carcass
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 135

Kudos [?]: 174 [2] , given: 4

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 07:00
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Sachin,

Let me see if I can help. Simply the passage is saying:

Milk was imported to the island

People on the island got liver cancer.

This is blamed on the imported milk.

Because research has shown that if people have milk protein and aflatoxin.

SO

We know they have milk, we know they have cancer, we need an answer that also tells us they have aflatoxin. Answer A does that.

E tells us nothing about the existence of aflatoxin without which, the conclusion is not valid

Hope that helps.

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 19:31
bkk145 wrote:

A certain tropical island received food donations in the form of powdered milk for distribution to its poorest residents, who were thought to be malnourished. Subsequently, the rate of liver cancers among those islanders increased sharply. The donated milk was probably to blame: recent laboratory research on rats has shown that rats briefly exposed to the substances aflatoxin tend to develop liver cancer when fed casein, a milk protein. This result is relevant because _______.

A. in the tropics, peanuts, a staple of these island residents, support a mold growth that produces aflatoxin
B. the liver is more sensitive to carcinogens, of which aflatoxin may be one, than most other bodily organs
D. powdered milk is the most appropriate form in which to send milk to a tropical destination
E. the people who were given the donated milk had been screened for their ability to digest milk

I take A on this one. rest all are irrelavant.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 19:41
I am in for A as well..all others dont have relevance
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 21:13
Ans is A; it is the only statement that logically supports the causality in the hypothesis.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 21:45
bkk145 wrote:

Im not sure. i don't know why A. Doesn't A say that milk wasn't the cause???
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 21:53
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
bkk145 wrote:

Im not sure. i don't know why A. Doesn't A say that milk wasn't the cause???

from A we do not know that the aflatoxins in peanuts have anything to do with the liver cancers. all A tells us is aflatoxin from the peanuts is already present in the diets of these residents. the rat relationship is to say that the aflatoxin in milk protein causes cancer. kinda inverted logic.

x = aflatoxins in milk protein
y = aflatoxins in peanuts

not y then x
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 04:16
I pick A.

The way I read it, the stem says that the rats developed liver cancer when fed casein, which is a milk protein. However, the stem argues that this happened because the rats were already exposed to aflatoxin.

Thus the argument is that for rats who are exposed to aflatoxin and then fed casein, liver cancer develops.

Similary, if the humans in the tropics are already exposed to aflatoxin, and then consume the powdered milk which contains casein, liver cancer develops as well
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 05:07
OA=A

The argument asks how the experiment related to what cause the cancer in the island. In an ordinary CR question, I would try to find the relationship between the experiment and the milk. However, this isn't the case. Since milk cause cancer on the island, the experiment is relevant because it might be that Peanuts is the cause of the cancer on the island.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2007, 15:49
Went for A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2007, 16:53
Great explanation BKK, i would like to add just what's stated in the passage, that after the donation of the milk, the islanders sow a sharp increase in liver cancer. Becasue of that they explaioned the experiment with milk, and because the nuts have the same ingredient as milk, it made the cases of liver cancer rise.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2007, 03:09
michaelny2001 wrote:
Great explanation BKK, i would like to add just what's stated in the passage, that after the donation of the milk, the islanders sow a sharp increase in liver cancer. Becasue of that they explaioned the experiment with milk, and because the nuts have the same ingredient as milk, it made the cases of liver cancer rise.

Michealny2001 - indeed great point by you.. I did not concentrate on words "incereased sharply".
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 06:39
why is the answer not E folks?
kindly help..

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 07:13
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Sachin,

Let me see if I can help. Simply the passage is saying:

Milk was imported to the island

People on the island got liver cancer.

This is blamed on the imported milk.

Because research has shown that if people have milk protein and aflatoxin.

SO

We know they have milk, we know they have cancer, we need an answer that also tells us they have aflatoxin. Answer A does that.

E tells us nothing about the existence of aflatoxin without which, the conclusion is not valid

Hope that helps.

James

Hi James,
I believe we are trying to weaken the claim that aflatoxin caused cancer.

how does A weaken?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 135

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 4

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 07:19
Hi Sachin,

that's not as I see it.

We are asked to logically conclude the passage

The passage's conclusion is that the introduction of milk caused the increase in cancer.

We need to find out the reason why they think this.

The combination of the info in the question and the info given in A does that:

Question: aflatoxin + milk protein causes cancer. Milk (and hence milk protein) was given to the islanders.

All we are missing is the presence of aflatoxin...

Option A: Islanders have aflatoxin through eating peanuts

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage?   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2013, 07:19