Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 18:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A chemical company claims that, since only one of 520 rats

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A chemical company claims that, since only one of 520 rats [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2006, 20:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A chemical company claims that, since only one of 520 rats that were given high doses of a new artificial sweetener developed cancer while all the others remained healthyy, the sweetener is not carcinogenic for human beings and ought to be approved for human consumption.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the chemical company's claim?

a) Chemicals that are carcinogenic for rats are usually also carcinogenic for other animals, such as guinea pigs, used in experiments.

b) The spontaneous incidence of cancer in this particular strain of rats is approximately one in 540.

c) Tests conducted on a certain strain of mouse show that, of 500 mice given a dose of sweetener similar to that given the rats, 53 developed cancer.

d) Certain chemicals that are carcinogenic for human beings have been shown not to be carcinogenic for rats.

e) The average life span of the strain of rat used in the experiment is 2 years; the chemical company terminated the experiment when the rats were 13 months old.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2006, 21:31
IMO its C.

There is close contest b/w C & D, but D is 180.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR from ETS code 55 (#10) [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2006, 21:36
BARIDDLA wrote:
A chemical company claims that, since only one of 520 rats that were given high doses of a new artificial sweetener developed cancer while all the others remained healthyy, the sweetener is not carcinogenic for human beings and ought to be approved for human consumption.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the chemical company's claim?

a) Chemicals that are carcinogenic for rats are usually also carcinogenic for other animals, such as guinea pigs, used in experiments.

b) The spontaneous incidence of cancer in this particular strain of rats is approximately one in 540.

c) Tests conducted on a certain strain of mouse show that, of 500 mice given a dose of sweetener similar to that given the rats, 53 developed cancer.

d) Certain chemicals that are carcinogenic for human beings have been shown not to be carcinogenic for rats.

e) The average life span of the strain of rat used in the experiment is 2 years; the chemical company terminated the experiment when the rats were 13 months old.

I'm with E here.

If the company terminated the experiment in just 13 months, with no effects on the mice, it couldbe possible that the sweetener would have had an effect had the company tested it for the full life span for these rats. Since no effects were shown in these months, the comany can claim that the sweetener isnt carconogenic.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2006, 22:05
I will go with D..

I remember going through an example in OG.. Inference question, I believe.. they picked 180.. saying the opposite will hold true..

C makes sense since it says that the effects are differet for different species of animals.. but does not say anything about human being..

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2006, 22:12
(E) for me too
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2006, 04:28
please corret where i went wrong.

the question is to show which supports the chem com's claim right!

then D will actually weaken it wont it???

by saying , the chemicals wont be good for humans n rats???

explain the 180 thing u r talking abt pls

vazlkaiye porkalam vazltuthan parkanum.... porkalam maralam porkalthan maruma

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2006, 07:26
razrulz wrote:
please corret where i went wrong.

the question is to show which supports the chem com's claim right!

then D will actually weaken it wont it???

by saying , the chemicals wont be good for humans n rats???

explain the 180 thing u r talking abt pls

yup agree with you razulz ..the question is asking for which one supports the claim.

so I will go with B .....as it shows that the chances are one in 500 .

what is OA ..?
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR from ETS code 55 (#10) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2006, 16:03
I'll take B.

B says that the rats are no more likely to have cancer before the experiement, and the ratio did not change after the experiment was conducted.

I do believe D weakens the argument.

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Intern
Intern

Its B [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2006, 16:47
The correct answer is B.

I left it blank, taking a stand against the author of this question :-).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR from ETS code 55 (#10) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2006, 18:16
TeHCM wrote:
I'll take B.

B says that the rats are no more likely to have cancer before the experiement, and the ratio did not change after the experiment was conducted.

I do believe D weakens the argument.

Thanks for nice explanation TeHCM
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2006, 20:37
Good question !
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2006, 23:55
A is out of scope and D is the trap answer for those who misread the stem. That leaves us with (B).
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2006, 14:10
B.
Rate of incidence of cancer before and after the test remained the same. hence the food item is safe.

reloading NEURON JELLY to reach another galaxy.

Manager
Manager

here u go...MTC [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2006, 18:44

Question type: Strengthen
Conclusion: sweetner is not carcinogenic for HB and ought to be approved
Evidence: 1/520 rats when given high does of new sweetner dev. cancer, while others remained healthy.
Analysis: Looking for Additional evidence to support conclusion.

irrelevant piece of information to argument

additional evidence, in line with the conclusion

greater % of mic developed of cancer, what can u say about human...how about nothing

weakens the conclusion, certain c C for HB => Not C for Rats, logical opposite => No C for HB => C for Rats

e) The average life span of the strain of rat used in the experiment is 2 years; the chemical company terminated the experiment when the rats were 13 months old

slightly weakens the conclusion
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2006, 18:12
late but by POE, came up with B ....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2006, 20:08
I thought none of the answer choices were right in the beginning. But, the explanation offered for (B) is good. I will go with (B) now. It is the best among the lot.
Good question. Thanks.
  [#permalink] 20 Feb 2006, 20:08