Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618846 [20]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [7]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618846 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Re: A circle is inscribed in a regular hexagon. A regular hexagon is inscr [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
A circle is inscribed in a regular hexagon. A regular hexagon is inscribed in this circle. Another circle is inscribed in the inner regular hexagon and so on. What is the area of the tenth such circle?

(1) The length of the side of the outermost regular hexagon is 6 cm.
(2) The length of a diagonal of the outermost regular hexagon is 12 cm.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Thankfully, in DS questions, we don’t need to calculate the answer. We just need to establish the sufficiency of the given data. Note that we have found that there is a defined relation between the sides of a regular hexagon and the radius of an inscribed circle and there is also a defined relation between the radius of a circle and the side of an inscribed regular hexagon.

When the circle is inscribed in a regular hexagon,

Radius of the inscribed circle = \(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\)* Side of the hexagon

When a regular hexagon is inscribed in a circle,

Side of the inscribed regular hexagon = Radius of the circle

So all we need is the side of any one regular hexagon or the radius of any one circle and we will know the length of the sides of all hexagons and the radii of all circles.

Statement I: The length of the side of the outermost regular hexagon is 6 cm.
If length of the side of the outermost regular hexagon is 6 cm, the radius of the inscribed circle is \((\sqrt{3}/2)*6 = 3\sqrt{3}\) cm

In that case, the side of the regular hexagon inscribed in this circle is also \(3\sqrt{3}\) cm. Now we can get the radius of the circle inscribed in this second hexagon and go on the same lines till we reach the tenth circle. This statement alone is sufficient.

Statement II: The length of a diagonal of the outermost regular hexagon is 12 cm.

Note that a hexagon has diagonals of two different lengths. The diagonals that connect vertices with one vertex between them are smaller than the diagonals that connect vertices with two vertices between them. Length of AC will be shorter than length of AD. Given the length of a diagonal, we do not know which diagonal it is. Is AC = 12 or is AD = 12? The length of the side will be different in the two cases. So this statement alone is not sufficient.

Answer (A).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: A circle is inscribed in a regular hexagon. A regular hexagon is inscr [#permalink]
Bunuel, is this a gmatlike question? I haven't encountered any official question that tests these concepts.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [1]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
A circle is inscribed in a regular hexagon. A regular hexagon is inscr [#permalink]
Kudos
Ergenekon wrote:
Bunuel, is this a gmatlike question? I haven't encountered any official question that tests these concepts.

Hello Ergenekon

I think this is GMAT like question because actually this task tests knowledge of pythagorean triangle.
We can split this hexagon on 6 parts and received 6 isosceles triangles and as we know length (6 cm) of one of the sides of these triangles we can find height of this triangle because we know ratios of sides in right triangle with angles 30, 60, 90: \(1\), \(\sqrt{3}\), \(2\) and so on.

So this example is unusual but I think we can meet such tasks on exam.

P.S. IMHO )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT Date: 07-11-2015
GPA: 2.9
WE:Account Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
A circle is inscribed in a regular hexagon. A regular hexagon is inscr [#permalink]
Would someone please help me understand how we got this?
Radius of the inscribed circle = 3√2* Side of the hexagon

How do I know that its a 30-60-90 not a 45-45-90 triangle?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [2]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
BuggerinOn wrote:
Would someone please help me understand how we got this?
Radius of the inscribed circle = 3√2* Side of the hexagon

How do I know that its a 30-60-90 not a 45-45-90 triangle?

Hello BuggerinOn

1 step: we draw three lines: AD, CF, BE. Each of these lines divide hexagon on two equal parts. So in result we received six equal isosceles triangles with all angles = 60°
we see that they are isosceles visually, but can prove: sum of angles any ...gon equal to (n-2)*180° where n is number of angles. We have 6 angles in this figure
(6-2)*180° = 720°. 720° / 6 = 120° this is degrees of any angle in this hexagon. And as we divide each angle on two equal parts we receive 12 angles by 60° each.
So each of these triangles have two 60° angles and third angle should be 60° too.

2 step: we draw line from center O to L - this is height of isosceles trianlge so we receive two right triangles with angles 30°, 60°, 90°

3 step: we know that sides in triangle with angles 30°, 60°, 90° have a ratio 1, \(\sqrt{3}\), 2. As we know hypotenuse = 6 we can find length of OL = \(3\sqrt{2}\) and this will be radius.
Attachments

2015-06-12-09-06-43-A-circle-is-inscribed-in-a-regular-hexagon.gif
2015-06-12-09-06-43-A-circle-is-inscribed-in-a-regular-hexagon.gif [ 19.28 KiB | Viewed 27096 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT Date: 07-11-2015
GPA: 2.9
WE:Account Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
That definitely helped! Thank you so much. +1
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts