Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A circle is inscribed in equilateral triangle ABC such that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

A circle is inscribed in equilateral triangle ABC such that [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2008, 16:36
A circle is inscribed in equilateral triangle ABC such that point D lies on circle and on line segment AC , point E lies on circle and line segment AB , and point F lies on circle and on line segment BC. If line segment AB=6 , what is the area of figure created by line segments AD , AE and minor arc DE.

how to get value of OE or OD ( O is center of circle)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Schools: Harvard, Penn, Maryland
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Trigo Question [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2008, 17:05
the equation for an inscribed circle radius for an equilateral triangle is r=a (sqrt3 / 6) I know that most people don't know that (I had to look it up).

So you take 6 * sqrt3 / 6, which equals sqrt3.
the formula for area of a circle is pi r squared, so it is 3.14* sqrt3 squared (3), so the area of the circle is 9.42.
There will inherently be an inscribed equilateral triangle inside this circle, with sides 3,3,3 using the side bisectors D,E, and F as the points.
the area of this triangle can be found by halving the height*base. So, you make half the triangle into a right triangle with a side 1.5 and the hypotenuse of 3 (a 30-60-90 triangle), which means that the height of the triangle is 1.5*sqrt3 (the other side).
so 1.5sqrt3 times 3 divided by 2 is 2.25sqrt3, the area of the triangle, which is 3.8971.
so the area of the circle minus the area of the triangle gives you the aggregate area of the three minor arc sections, which is 9.42-3.8971, 5.5229.
so the area of one arc section is 1.84097,
take the area of the triangle ADE (which is the same as DEF) 3.8971 minus the area of the arc section, 1.84097, so the area of AD,AE, and the minor arc DE is....

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Trigo Question [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2008, 17:06
as for getting the O, I'm not sure. someone plz figure it out and post it bc I really want to know now lol.
another way to remember the inscribed circle radius is it is 1/3 the altitude, and a circumscribed radius is 1/2 the altitude.
These kind of formulas are crucial for the GMAT, although I have never seen a geometry problem quite as difficult as this one in prep or on the GMAT.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Trigo Question [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 02:48
This post received
KUDOS
Unable to draw the figure here.

Since, ABC is an equilateral triangle, point D, E or F will divide AC, AB or BC into two halves.

Now, if O is the center of circle and we focus on triangle OBF, then BF = 3 and since OVF is a 30-60-90 triangle, we know OF = BF/sqrt3 = sqrt3.

Now, we can find out the area of circle, subtract it from the area of triangle and divide the result by 3 to get the result.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Trigo Question [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 06:46
ok so because OB is bisecting angle EBF, you can conclude that angle OBF is 30 degrees, and that angle OFB is 90, so that OF=x, BF=sqrt3*x, and OB is 2x, with OF being the radius of the circle and BF=3. that makes sense, I think my way is quicker tho.
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Trigo Question [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 08:18
scthakur wrote:
Unable to draw the figure here.

Since, ABC is an equilateral triangle, point D, E or F will divide AC, AB or BC into two halves.

Now, if O is the center of circle and we focus on triangle OBF, then BF = 3 and since OVF is a 30-60-90 triangle, we know OF = BF/sqrt3 = sqrt3.

Now, we can find out the area of circle, subtract it from the area of triangle and divide the result by 3 to get the result.

+1

I got until the part of BF=3. How ever, I failed to recognize that Triangle OBF is 30-60-90 triangle.

Are of equilateral triangle is s ^2 X sqrt (3) /4 leaves us with 9 sqrt (3)

Area of circle is 3pi

Reqd area = (9 sqrt (3) - 3 pi ) /3

Thanks
Re: Good Trigo Question   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2008, 08:18