Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [57]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618683 [16]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618683 [8]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Send PM
Re: Circular Race Track- Probability. [#permalink]
Bunuel,
Sorry, I could not understand the language of the question and hence probably the answer is not clear to me. If possible , could you reframe the question or explain as to what the question is asking?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6773 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Don't we somehow need to use the information 1/10 mile increment signposts in calculating the probability?
Approach mentioned above is logical but there must be simple mathematical solution using the increment signposts?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618683 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
LM wrote:
Don't we somehow need to use the information 1/10 mile increment signposts in calculating the probability?
Approach mentioned above is logical but there must be simple mathematical solution using the increment signposts?

Stem gives us the information about the signs only to fix the point of 2.5 miles on the track and thus fix the 1 mile interval the car should end within. 1/10 mile increment is totally irrelevant.

Consider the following: A circular racetrack is 3 miles in length. If a race car starts at a random location on the track and travels exactly Y miles, what is the probability that the car ends within a half mile of some point X on the track?

The answer will be the same: as the interval for the endpoint of the car is 1 mile (from x-0.5 to x+0.5) then the probability will be 1/3.

Note that a car starts at a random location on the track and travels exactly Y miles means that the endpoint of the car will also be at random location on the track (travel part is also to confuse us: random location plus Y miles=random location). So the question basically ask what is the probability that the car ends within the particular 1 mile interval on the track of 3 miles.

Hope it's clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
+1 for C.

Thanks Bunuel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Send PM
Thankyou Bunuel for the extra efforts in explaining. I have now understood your explanation.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618683 [1]
Send PM
Re: A circular racetrack is 3 miles in length and has signs post [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on probability problems: math-probability-87244.html

All DS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=33
All PS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=54

Tough probability questions: hardest-area-questions-probability-and-combinations-101361.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '20 (A$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Here is a rewording of the original question:
What is the probability that the car starts between the 1.5 mile and 2.5 mile mark on a 3 mi racetrack?

2.5 - 1.5 = 1
that is 1/3 of the racetrack

Answer is C

Everything else in this question is irrelevant.
Although, if you really wanted you could rephrase the question to account for the 1/10th mile sign posts:
What is the probability that the car stars between the 15th and 25th sign posts if there are 30 sign posts total.
But that is unnecessary extra work.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
helloanupam wrote:
Bunuel,
Sorry, I could not understand the language of the question and hence probably the answer is not clear to me. If possible , could you reframe the question or explain as to what the question is asking?

Look at the diagram:
Attachment:
untitled.PNG
The car ends within a half mile of the sign indicating 2.5 miles means that the car should end in one mile interval, between the signs indicating 2 (2.5-0.5=2) and 3 miles (2+0.5=3), so within the red segment on the diagram.

Now if the cars appears somewhere between the blue dots, between 1.5 and 2 miles signs then after traveling 0.5 miles the car will be in the red segment. So in order after traveling 0.5 miles the car to end within the red segment it should appear between 1.5 and 2.5 miles, so within 1 mile interval, as the circumference of the track is 3 miles then the probability of that will be P=favorable/total=1/3. As I mentioned in my previous post actually it doesn't matter where the car appears or what distance it travel, as long as favorable interval in the end is 1 mile and total interval is 3 miles then the probability will be 1/3 miles.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunnel,

What about if car starts between 0.5 and 2.5 miles?

So this will make probability = 2*1/3 ?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22043 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
helloanupam wrote:
A circular racetrack is 3 miles in length and has signs posted to indicate each 1/10 mile increment. If a race car starts at a random location on the track and travels exactly one half mile, what is the probability that the car ends within a half mile of the sign indicating 2 1/2 miles?

A. 1/6
B. 3/10
C. 1/3
D. 1/2
E. 2/3

We are given that a circular racetrack is 3 miles in length and has signs posted to indicate each 1/10 mile increment. We are also given that a race car starts at a random location on the track and travels exactly one half mile, and we need to determine the probability that the car ends within a half mile of the sign indicating 2 1/2 (or 2.5) miles.

If the car ends within a half mile of the 2.5-mile sign, that means the car can end as far as the 2.0-mile sign or the 3.0-mile sign. However, since the car travels exactly one half mile, the starting point of the car can be anywhere from the 1.5 mile sign to the 2.5-mile sign. In other words, the car can be anywhere in this 2.5 - 1.5 = 1 mile stretch. Since the racetrack is 3 miles long, the probability that the car is in this 1 mile stretch is ⅓.

Answer: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
helloanupam wrote:
A circular racetrack is 3 miles in length and has signs posted to indicate each 1/10 mile increment. If a race car starts at a random location on the track and travels exactly one half mile,what is the probability that the car ends within a half mile of the sign indicating 2 1/2 miles?
(A) 1/6
(B) 3/10
(C) 1/3
(D) 1/2
(E) 2/3

Answer: C

Could somebody explain how to work this out?

The car ends within a half mile of the sign indicating 2 1/2 miles means that the car will end in one mile interval, between the signs indicating 2 and 3 miles.

Now, it doesn't matter where the car starts or what distance it travels, the probability will be P=(favorable outcome)/(total # of outcomes)=1/3 (as the car starts at random point end travels some distance afterwards we can consider its end point as the point where he randomly appeared, so the probability that the car appeared within 1 mile interval out of total 3 miles will be 1/3).

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel
Shouldn't the answer be 2/3?

The question doesn't specify in which direction the car has to travel, so it could be in either direction. Or may be I'm overthinking :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM