Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 04:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A citizens group in State X is pushing legislation to have

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
A citizens group in State X is pushing legislation to have [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 07:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

47% (02:10) correct 53% (00:51) wrong based on 64 sessions
A citizens’ group in State X is pushing legislation to have mobile phone use banned during driving. Leaders of the group are concerned that talking and text messaging while operating a motor vehicle has led to many injuries and to damage of state property.
EACH of the following is a piece of evidence the group could use in support of its position EXCEPT
 statistics on how many licensed drivers own mobile phones
 police accident reports stating that mobile phone use was a cause of a collision
 scientific studies stating the effect of divided attention on motor vehicle safety
 pamphlets from other citizens’ groups urging drivers to turn off mobile phones in traffic
 testimonials from drivers who have been injured in accidents involving mobile phone use
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: citizen's group [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 07:39
I choose D. Please post OA
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: citizen's group [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 09:34
my pick is D though I was torn between A and D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: citizen's group [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 14:42
I am with D, too. Between A AND D.

D IS NOT REALLY AN EVIDENCE.

A CAN BE USED AS EVIDENCE THEY CAN SHOW THAT , FOR EXAMPLE, SOME STATES WITH LOWER PERCENTAGES OF LICENSED DRIVERS WITH CELL PHONES HAVE LOWER NUMBER OF CAR ACCIDENTS PER CAPITA COMPARED TO STATES WITH HIGHER PERCENTAGES OF THOSE DRIVERS WHO PURCHASED CELL PHONES.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: citizen's group [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 07:41
OA is D.
thx for the explanations.
I chose A since i thought that only the statistics would be used as evidence. And stats alone don't provide any evidence.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: citizen's group [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 01:50
I THOUGHT ANS IS A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Re: citizen's group [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 04:55
rlevochkin wrote:
I am with D, too. Between A AND D.

D IS NOT REALLY AN EVIDENCE.

A CAN BE USED AS EVIDENCE THEY CAN SHOW THAT , FOR EXAMPLE, SOME STATES WITH LOWER PERCENTAGES OF LICENSED DRIVERS WITH CELL PHONES HAVE LOWER NUMBER OF CAR ACCIDENTS PER CAPITA COMPARED TO STATES WITH HIGHER PERCENTAGES OF THOSE DRIVERS WHO PURCHASED CELL PHONES.

It obviously is between A and D. But I think both are very weak - this is an unclear question to me!!

Your reasoning could by itsself be critical reasoning question ;)

Because they would assume that A is the cause for B (more mobile phone % = higher % of accidents). Which, as we all know, is not necessarily true, as there might be a trizillion other reaons for the higher % of accidents, which were not caused by the higher % of mobile phone ownage...

(also note: ownage =/= usage!! maybe I own one, but never use it in my car...)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: citizen's group [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 05:34
bibha can u pls describe the source of this question ......and also if u have offivial explanation....
im unable to convince myself for d ...

bibha wrote:
OA is D.
I chose A since i thought that only the statistics would be used as evidence. And stats alone don't provide any evidence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 112

Re: citizen's group [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 09:13
shalu wrote:
bibha can u pls describe the source of this question ......and also if u have offivial explanation....
im unable to convince myself for d ...

bibha wrote:
OA is D.

Hi
clearly you have to chose between A and D ..Note that position of the argument is "use of driving phones causes accidents and injuries " .....

Distributing pamphlets etc will help in stopping this ..... but is not related to the position of the question...

regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: citizen's group [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 10:59
I go for D
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 62

Re: A citizens group in State X is pushing legislation to have [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 02:08
Quote:
statistics on how many licensed drivers own mobile phones

what if a good percentage of drivers own mobile phones, but they actually don't use it while driving ?

IMO - A and D both can't be used as evidence.

Can someone please help with this question ?

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1263

Kudos [?]: 3513 [0], given: 185

Re: A citizens group in State X is pushing legislation to have [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 03:49
Expert's post
anshunadir wrote:
Quote:
statistics on how many licensed drivers own mobile phones

what if a good percentage of drivers own mobile phones, but they actually don't use it while driving ?

IMO - A and D both can't be used as evidence.

Can someone please help with this question ?

I agree with the discussion here that while B, C and E can clearly be used right away by the citizen group, the same is not the case with either A or D.

However, if we have to select one, it's logical to go with D.

Why? How can option A be used by the citizen group?

Here's my reasoning:

This citizen group is going to the government asking for a law to ban mobile phone use during driving. The government can easily ask: "Is this problem that big in magnitude that we need to enact a law to handle this?". The government can't just enact laws for every problem under the sun.

Now, as you can see, to answer this query, the group may use the statistic that a large number of licensed drivers have mobile phone - so the given problem can magnify in time to come.

I agree that option A doesn't say whether the number of licensed drivers who have mobile phones is small or large but compared with option D, this option makes at least some logical sense.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 14

Re: A citizens group in State X is pushing legislation to have [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 08:42
I agree with e-gmat and everyone - Between A and D, D is more 'worthless' piece of evidence.

As for A - If the group reports to the authorities and presents data of 100 people

90 - Own Mobiles and 10 do not.
Say 20 accidents were reported and all belonged to the category that owned mobiles - Authorities might be convinced.

50 - Owned Mobiles and 50 - did not own mobiles.
10 accidents reported in first category and 10 in later - Authorities might NOT be convinced.

This might be the kind of data authorities ask for. Hence rule out A.

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 04-02-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 17

Re: A citizens group in State X is pushing legislation to have [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 08:01
I'd like to add that, when considering between A and D, A might support - if, for instance, the statistical data were to show that many people who do drive have mobile phones - but, then again, might not. So A could be seen as supporting and weakening, but option D doesn't support at all.

D is completely irrelevant - who cares about what other citizens groups do. Maybe they were all drunk while handling the pamphlets, and is, therefore, a correct answer.

Imagine that the whole story is happening at the court. In order for the legislature to pass, you need evidence. A might support the legislature or not. D, however, can't be seen as an evidence.

Last edited by Oxanna on 24 Mar 2013, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: A citizens group in State X is pushing legislation to have [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 13:46
bibha wrote:
A citizens’ group in State X is pushing legislation to have mobile phone use banned during driving. Leaders of the group are concerned that talking and text messaging while operating a motor vehicle has led to many injuries and to damage of state property.
EACH of the following is a piece of evidence the group could use in support of its position EXCEPT
 police accident reports stating that mobile phone use was a cause of a collision
 scientific studies stating the effect of divided attention on motor vehicle safety
 pamphlets from other citizens’ groups urging drivers to turn off mobile phones in traffic
 testimonials from drivers who have been injured in accidents involving mobile phone use

I would go with A.
No inference can be derived from "how many drivers actually carry a phone".
As an evidence I would prefer "Statistics of how many drivers involved in accident are using mobile phones.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: A citizens group in State X is pushing legislation to have [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 04:36
bibha wrote:

I was confused between A and D.
But later chose D since its not a evidence and moreover does not provide any sort of evidence that shows using mobile phones while driving causes accidents.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 510 Q36 V25
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 105

Re: A citizens group in State X is pushing legislation to have [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 05:41
E-Gmat Rep,
I m still not convinced about D because the Q asks which cannot be used as evidence. A- talks about the statistics of how many drivers owns mobile phones, just because the driver owns one- doesnt mean he's going to use it right..Its just a very rare possibility. Hence this cannot be used as evidence to prove a point. Hence i'd go with A
Whereas D talks about pamphlets being issued to condemn the use of mobile phones.
Reason for pamphlet issuance - Ppl know that Using mobile phones while driving is risky,hence they issue pamphlets for public awareness.So obviously this can be used as evidence to support the ban right ??

Total bummer
Still Confused :|
SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A citizens group in State X is pushing legislation to have [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 02:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: A citizens group in State X is pushing legislation to have   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2014, 02:42