Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Word Problemsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618751 [20]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2005 [12]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618751 [8]
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618751 [3]
Send PM
Re: A citrus fruit grower receives $15 for each crate of oranges [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
runningguy wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
cumulonimbus wrote:

Hi Bunnel,

I marked this one as B, as i thought that by prime factorization we can get the number of multiples of 15 and 18.
However i later did the prime factorization and now know that their is no way of knowing how many times 15 or 18 goes in to 38,700.

I remembered this technique as I had used it in Problem Solving, so want to know whether this technique can be used in DS questions.

What technique are you talking about? Can you please also give PS question for which you've used it?

I did the same thing and marked B. How can we tell quickly that there are multiple answers for 5x + 6y = 12900?

Trial and error plus some logic and knowledge of basics of number properties should help you to identify this.

For more on this type of questions check:
eunice-sold-several-cakes-if-each-cake-sold-for-either-109602.html
martha-bought-several-pencils-if-each-pencil-was-either-a-100204.html
a-rental-car-agency-purchases-fleet-vehicles-in-two-sizes-a-105682.html
joe-bought-only-twenty-cent-stamps-and-thirty-cent-stamps-106212.html
a-certain-fruit-stand-sold-apples-for-0-70-each-and-bananas-101966.html
joanna-bought-only-0-15-stamps-and-0-29-stamps-how-many-101743.html

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

A citrus fruit grower receives $15 for each crate of oranges shipped and $18 for each crate of grapefruit shipped. How many crates of oranges did the grower ship last week?

Let \(x\) be the # of oranges and \(y\) the # of grapefruits. Note that, both \(x\) and \(y\) must be integers.
Question: \(x=?\)

(1) Last week the number of crates of oranges that the grower shipped was 20 more than twice the number of crates of grapefruit shipped --> \(x=2y+20\). Not sufficient to calculate \(x\)

(2) Last week the grower received a total of $38,700 from the crates of oranges and grapefruit shipped --> \(15x+18y=38700\) --> \(5x+6y=12900\). Multiple values are possible, for istance: \(x=180\) and \(y=2000\) OR \(x=60\) and \(y=2100\).

(1)+(2) We have two distinct linear equation with two unknowns, hence we can solve for \(x\) and \(y\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hi Banuel,

I get hung up on when i create the equation 15x + 18y = 38700.... When I see a equation like this, should i automatically assume that mutiple combinations of x and y are possible to satisfy the equation or are there instances where I should actually work out the math.... I spend a lot of time contemplating this, although I see the obvious answer in C of two liner equations...

thoughts?

Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618751 [2]
Send PM
A citrus fruit grower receives $15 for each crate of oranges [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
indiheats wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

A citrus fruit grower receives $15 for each crate of oranges shipped and $18 for each crate of grapefruit shipped. How many crates of oranges did the grower ship last week?

Let \(x\) be the # of oranges and \(y\) the # of grapefruits. Note that, both \(x\) and \(y\) must be integers.

(1) Last week the number of crates of oranges that the grower shipped was 20 more than twice the number of crates of grapefruit shipped --> \(x=2y+20\). Not sufficient to calculate \(x\)

(2) Last week the grower received a total of $38,700 from the crates of oranges and grapefruit shipped --> \(15x+18y=38700\) --> \(5x+6y=12900\). Multiple values are possible, for istance: \(x=180\) and \(y=2000\) OR \(x=60\) and \(y=2100\).

(1)+(2) We have two distinct linear equation with two unknowns, hence we can solve for \(x\) and \(y\). Sufficient.

Hi Banuel,

I get hung up on when i create the equation 15x + 18y = 38700.... When I see a equation like this, should i automatically assume that mutiple combinations of x and y are possible to satisfy the equation or are there instances where I should actually work out the math.... I spend a lot of time contemplating this, although I see the obvious answer in C of two liner equations...

thoughts?

Thanks

Generally, such kinds of linear equations (ax+by=c) have infinitely many solutions for x and y, and we cannot get single numerical values for the variables. But since x and y here represent the number of oranges and the number of grapefruits, they must be non-negative integers. In this case, 15x + 18y = 38700 is no longer a simple linear equation; it's a Diophantine equation (equations whose solutions must be integers only). For such kinds of equations, there might be only one combination of x and y possible to satisfy it. When you encounter such problems, you must always check by trial and error whether that's the case.

In my post above, there are links to several such problems.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [6]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
indiheats wrote:

Hi Banuel,

thoughts?

Thanks

Your thought process should be how can we make these numbers more manageable. 15 and 18 both share 3 as a factor, but 38700 looks pretty gnarly. A quick check confirms that 3 is a factor, 3+8+7=18, which is divisible by 3

Now we have the equation in something easier to work with 5x + 6y = 12,900.

It still looks pretty daunting. So here's my thought process, what two values when added give us 12,900, in other words, we're asking what gives us 12,000 + 900

So that equation now becomes, 5x+6y = 12,000 + 900
Can we get an x such that we get 12,000 or 900. Yes.
Can we get a y such that we can get 12,000 or 900. Yes. 120 is divisible by 6, and 90 is divisible by 6.

What does that mean for us?
Well, we can have a case x=2,400 and G = 150
5*2400 + 6*150 = 12,900

OR
We can have a case where x=180 and G= 2000

5*180 + 6*2000 = 12,900

You don't have to actually do the arithmetic. Just do a quick sense check, can we have multiple values for x and y, such that we can get 12000 + 900. Use divisibility rules, if x can give us either 900 or 12000 when multiplied by 5, both are divisible by 5, and if Y can give us either 12000 or 900 when multiplied by 6. Both are divisible by 6. So we can get different values for x and y, and still satisfy 12,900.

Hope that helped someone, I know this post is a bit dated.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16594 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

(1) Last week the number of crates of oranges that the grower shipped was 20 more than twice the number of crates of grapefruit shipped.
(2) Last week the grower received a total of $38,700 from the crates of oranges and grapefruit shipped.

We get a "2by2" table as below:
Attachment:
GCDS Bunuel A citrus fruit grower receives (20151125).jpg
GCDS Bunuel A citrus fruit grower receives (20151125).jpg [ 24.76 KiB | Viewed 25581 times ]

There are 2 variables (a,b) and 2 equations are given by the 2 conditions, so there is high chance (C) will be the answer.
If we look at the conditions together,

from a=2b+20, 15a+18b=38,700, we can get the values of a and b, so this is sufficient, and the answer becomes (C).

For cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with “2 variables”, or “3 variables and 1 equation”, or “4 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the majority. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6271 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

(1) Last week the number of crates of oranges that the grower shipped was 20 more than twice the number of crates of grapefruit shipped.
(2) Last week the grower received a total of $38,700 from the crates of oranges and grapefruit shipped.

We are given that a citrus grower receives $15 for each crate of oranges shipped and $18 for each crate of grapefruit shipped. We can define some variables for the number of crates of oranges shipped and the number of crates of grapefruit shipped.

Let R = the number of crates of oranges shipped and G = the number of crates of grapefruit shipped.

We need to determine the value of R.

Statement One Alone:

Last week the number of crates of oranges that the grower shipped was 20 more than twice the number of crates of grapefruit shipped.

Using statement one we can set up the following equation:

R = 20 + 2G

We cannot determine the value of R, so statement one is not sufficient to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choices A and D.

Statement Two Alone:

Last week the grower received a total of $38,700 from the crates of oranges and grapefruit shipped.

From statement two we can set up the following equation:

15R + 18G = 38,700

We cannot determine the value of R, so statement two is not sufficient to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choice B.

Statements One and Two Together:

From statements one and two we have the following equations:

1) R = 20 + 2G

2) 15R + 18G = 38,700

We can simplify the second equation by dividing the entire equation by 3:

3) 5R + 6G = 12,900

At this point we substitute (20 + 2G) from equation (1) for R in equation (3), giving us:

5(20 + 2G) + 6G = 12,900

Now, at this point, we know we can determine a value for G and thus determine a value for R. If we were taking the actual test, we could stop at this point and say that the answer is C. However, let’s finish the math to show the steps in evaluating R.

100 + 10G + 6G = 12,900

100 + 16G = 12,900

G = 12,800/16

G = 800

Since R = 20 + 2G, R = 20 + 2(800) = 1,620.

Answer: C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.3
Bunuel Statement 1 alone appears to be sufficient to me. The question implies 2 equations: 15x = Gross Revenue in one week from oranges and 18g = Gross Revenue in one week from grapefruit. So, embedded in the question is a system of equations.

Then, from Statement 1 we learn that x = 2g + 20. Well, 15x = Revenue. So, I can solve for x in terms of g, right? Thus, 15 (2g + 20) = R; Thus, 30g + 300 = R. g = 10, g being the number of grapefruit.

I can put that number back into the equation denoting the relationship given in Statement 1 which was x = 2g + 20. Thus, x = 2(10) = 20; x = 40. There are 40 crates of oranges that were shipped last week.

Statement 1 alone is sufficient. How am I wrong, please tell me?

Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618751 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mlwells9 wrote:
Bunuel Statement 1 alone appears to be sufficient to me. The question implies 2 equations: 15x = Gross Revenue in one week from oranges and 18g = Gross Revenue in one week from grapefruit. So, embedded in the question is a system of equations.

Then, from Statement 1 we learn that x = 2g + 20. Well, 15x = Revenue. So, I can solve for x in terms of g, right? Thus, 15 (2g + 20) = R; Thus, 30g + 300 = R. g = 10, g being the number of grapefruit.

I can put that number back into the equation denoting the relationship given in Statement 1 which was x = 2g + 20. Thus, x = 2(10) = 20; x = 40. There are 40 crates of oranges that were shipped last week.

Statement 1 alone is sufficient. How am I wrong, please tell me?

Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

For (1) we have only one equation: \(x=2y+20\) and we need to find x.

How you are getting that g = 10 from 30g + 300 = R?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts