Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3611

Kudos [?]: 28891 [3] , given: 2860

A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 01:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:32) correct 34% (01:39) wrong based on 449 sessions
A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water and is filled to half its capacity. When the tank is placed upright on its circular base on level ground, the height of the water in the tank is 4 feet. When the tank is placed on its side on level ground, what is the height, in feet, of the surface of the water above the ground?

(A) 2
(B) 3
(C) 4
(D) 6
(E) 9

Notice that some editions of OG have a typo saying that the height of the water in the tank is 2 feet, it should read "the height of the water in the tank is 4 feet".

Diagnostic Test
Question: 5
Page: 20
Difficulty: 650
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28891 [5] , given: 2860

Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 01:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
SOLUTION

Notice that some editions of OG have a typo saying that the height of the water in the tank is 2 feet, it should read "the height of the water in the tank is 4 feet".

A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water and is filled to half its capacity. When the tank is placed upright on its circular base on level ground, the height of the water in the tank is 4 feet. When the tank is placed on its side on level ground, what is the height, in feet, of the surface of the water above the ground?

(A) 2
(B) 3
(C) 4
(D) 6
(E) 9

Look at the diagram below:

Since the tank is half full when placed upright then naturally it'll also be half full when placed on its side, so the level of the water (when placed that way) will be half of the diameter, so r.

Now, given that V_{water}=\pi{*r^2}*H_{water} --> 36\pi=\pi{r^2}*4 --> r=3.

Answer: B.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 11

Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 06:24
when tank is placed on its side on level ground, hieght = radius of cylinder
radius will be ,

1/2 πr^2h = 36π
r=6
Answer - D
Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 09:43
Bunuel, I think there is some error in the question as none of the answer choices are correct.

Here is my approach:

Volume of water = π(r^2)h = 2π(r^2) = 36π - As height of water is 2 feet
=> r^2 = 18
=> r = sqrt(18)

As the tank is regular shaped, the water level will be half of its height irrespective of the position of the cylinder. So when its lying flat, height of water will be half of diameter = radius = r = sqrt(18)

None of the answer choices has this, so it should either be sqrt(36) or sqrt (9) - I think the problem might have a problem!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: ISB '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 10:11
Volume of water inside cylinder = 36pi = pir^2h

Here water is filled up to a height of 2 feet, so h=2

r^2 = 18

r=3 sqrt2

There might be a mistake in the given problem.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GPA: 3.9
WE: Marketing (Other)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 02:56
gnan wrote:
Volume of water inside cylinder = 36pi = pir^2h

Here water is filled up to a height of 2 feet, so h=2

r^2 = 18

r=3 sqrt2

There might be a mistake in the given problem.

I agree to your comment partially, in my opinion this question has some ambiguity when it states that the tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water and is filled to half its capacity, so we may assume that 36pi is the volume when half capacity. So it would be better to state that the tank, when full, can be filled with 36pi or the full capacity of the tank is 36pi, or something alike. But i think this is one of the small tricks of GMAT. But anyway if you solved this way and did not come up with answer you should see what else GMAT could think by saying 36pi, then you see that only possible answer is 3 (B)

If you found my post useful and/or interesting - you are welcome to give kudos!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V38
WE: General Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 03:13
Tricky. 650+ level.

Volume of the Cylinder: pi*r^2*h= 36pi

r^2*2=36
r^2=18
r=Sq root 18

Something wrong with the answer choices. This question is similar to one in OG12 except the height given is 4 feet there. Answer choices given are same.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28891 [0], given: 2860

Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 02:02
Expert's post
SOLUTION

(A) 2
(B) 3
(C) 4
(D) 6
(E) 9

Look at the diagram below:
Attachment:
Cylinder.PNG
Cylinder.PNG [ 14.91 KiB | Viewed 12208 times ]

Since the tank is half full when placed upright then naturally it'll also be half full when placed on its side, so the level of the water (when placed that way) will be half of the diameter, so r.

Now, given that V_{water}=\pi{*r^2}*H_{water} --> 36\pi=\pi{r^2}*4 --> r=3.

Answer: B.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 23:29
p.s. for anyone still coming across this question and confused... If you're getting 3*sqrt(2) as the answer, you're reading a version of the book with the error mentioned in original post.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 39

CAT Tests
Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 08:34
I wanted to clarify one point. Is there any rule that we refer when we claim that regardless of position of cylinder the water in it will occupy its half?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28891 [1] , given: 2860

Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Ergenekon wrote:
I wanted to clarify one point. Is there any rule that we refer when we claim that regardless of position of cylinder the water in it will occupy its half?

How else? If water occupies half of the capacity of the tank when it is placed upright, can it occupy other fraction when it is placed on its side???

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.52
WE: General Management (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 05:21
Is there another example question similar to this you can recommend?

11/5/2013 - Economist GMAT test 580 Q28 (20%) / V43 (96%)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 18:22
Buneul, I think that surface area water covers when a cylinder is placed on its circular base is NOT EQUAL to the surface area which it covers when placed on the ground along its height. So, height of water from ground will be different in each of the two cases. I agree that volume is the same but because of change in dimensions the height will different in both cases.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 00:37
Expert's post
madn800 wrote:
Buneul, I think that surface area water covers when a cylinder is placed on its circular base is NOT EQUAL to the surface area which it covers when placed on the ground along its height. So, height of water from ground will be different in each of the two cases. I agree that volume is the same but because of change in dimensions the height will different in both cases.

The question and the solution talk about the volume not surface area.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 03:58
Bunuel,
I understand your solution, however I am not able to understand the problem with my method,
(pi*r^2*4)=36*pi
r=3
Now since half filled is 36*pi, complete capacity is 72*pi
Therefore, pi*3^2*h=72*pi
h=8 (i.e height of tank is 8)

Now since tank is placed on it's side, the base is infact the height when the tank is placed upright.
So new base = 8, i.e new radius=4
Now pi*4^2*h=36*pi (since 36*pi is the volume of water)
From this I get the height of water as, 36/16
Not sure where I am going wrong.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 11:19
Expert's post
geetchandratre wrote:
Bunuel,
I understand your solution, however I am not able to understand the problem with my method,
(pi*r^2*4)=36*pi
r=3

Now since tank is placed on it's side, the base is infact the height when the tank is placed upright.

The red part doe not make sense. The radius of which circle is 4?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 20:14
Bunuel wrote:
geetchandratre wrote:
Bunuel,
(pi*r^2*4)=36*pi
r=3

The red part doe not make sense. The radius of which circle is 4?

I was wrongly assuming the new base having the new radius. I get it now.

Also, since in this example, we knew that the water is filled to half the tank's capacity, thus when tilted, the water will still occupy half the tank, and we can find the height.

How would you solve it if the water is filled, let's say to 2/3rd the cylinders capacity?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water and [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 16:03
how do you know the height is 4 feet when placed on its side?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1156

Kudos [?]: 5374 [0], given: 165

Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 20:29
Expert's post
Mackam1234 wrote:

There are a few different relevant heights in the question:

A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water and is filled to half its capacity. when the tank is placed upright on its circular base on level ground, the height of the water in the tank is 4 feet.

The height of the water in the tank is given to be 4 feet. Since the tank is filled to half its capacity, the height of the cylinder is 8 ft (though we don't need this).

Volume of the water = 36*\pi = \pi*r^2*4
r = 3

This is all we need to find the required height. Why? We know that the tank is filled to half its capacity. Imgine you have placed it on its side. If it were full of water, the height of the water in this position would be the diameter of the circular base (which is now the height). Since it is half full, the height of the water will come up to the mid point of the circle i.e. its radius. Since radius is 3, the height of water now will be 3 feet.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 15:53
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Mackam1234 wrote:

There are a few different relevant heights in the question:

A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water and is filled to half its capacity. when the tank is placed upright on its circular base on level ground, the height of the water in the tank is 4 feet.

The height of the water in the tank is given to be 4 feet. Since the tank is filled to half its capacity, the height of the cylinder is 8 ft (though we don't need this).

Volume of the water = 36*\pi = \pi*r^2*4
r = 3

This is all we need to find the required height. Why? We know that the tank is filled to half its capacity. Imgine you have placed it on its side. If it were full of water, the height of the water in this position would be the diameter of the circular base (which is now the height). Since it is half full, the height of the water will come up to the mid point of the circle i.e. its radius. Since radius is 3, the height of water now will be 3 feet.

Hello Karishma,

This is my first post at GMATClub. I love your Quarter wit, Quarter Wisdom posts also.
Anyways, I have a question about this problem. I understand your point about height of the water would be the diameter of the circular base - common sense on first glance. But my thinking is that when you put the cylinder tank on its side, water will occupy the whole height (i.e. 4*2 = 8 feet, see attached picture). The volume is still 36*pi. So now it is pi*r^2*(2h) = 36*pi. In order to keep everything same proportional we should have pi*((3/sqrt(2))^2*2h = 36*pi.

I never question the answer choices provided by Official Guide. Since they had a typo on this question in some editions of Official Guide, I am not so sure about this one.

Thank you so much for helping me understand/dissect this question.

Cheers,

P.S. I have some cylinder style container at work, I will also try it out with a real world precious sample (i.e. h2o) and measure.

EDITED: I understand my mistake now. I missed what Karishma said above -

If it were full of water, the height of the water in this position would be the diameter of the circular base (which is now the height). Since it is half full, the height of the water will come up to the mid point of the circle i.e. its radius. Since radius is 3, the height of water now will be 3 feet.

Attachments

File comment: Source: Modified from Bunuel post
Cylinder.JPG
Cylinder.JPG [ 29.47 KiB | Viewed 4224 times ]

Glass_graduated_cylinder-250ml_1.jpg
Glass_graduated_cylinder-250ml_1.jpg [ 2.23 MiB | Viewed 4241 times ]

Last edited by khanym on 16 Apr 2014, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
Re: A closed cylindrical tank contains 36pi cubic feet of water   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2014, 15:53