Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 02:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A company plans to develop a prototype weeding machine that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

A company plans to develop a prototype weeding machine that [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 12:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (02:14) correct 38% (01:18) wrong based on 220 sessions
A company plans to develop a prototype weeding machine that uses cutting blades with optical sensors and microprocessors that distinguish weeds from crop plants by differences in shade of color. The inventor of the machine claims that it will reduce labor costs by virtually eliminating the need for manual weeding.

Which of the following is a consideration in favor of the company’s implementing its plan to develop the prototype?

A. There is a considerable degree of variation in shade of color between weeds of different species.
B. The shade of color of some plants tends to change appreciably over the course of their growing season.
C. When crops are weeded manually, overall size and leaf shape are taken into account in distinguishing crop plants from weeds.
D. Selection and genetic manipulation allow plants of virtually any species to be economically bred to have a distinctive shade of color without altering their other characteristics.
E. Farm laborers who are responsible for the manual weeding of crops carry out other agricultural duties at times in the growing season when extensive weeding is not necessary.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by WaterFlowsUp on 14 Oct 2013, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
OA Added
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 227 [1] , given: 18

Re: question to solve(1) [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
D strengthens the plan by saying that it is economically feasible to have a particular trait (in this case shade) in plants without affecting other traits.
OA?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 2

Re: question to solve(1) [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 12:48
I like D

With this question type we don't look to strengthen or weaken an argument but find a suitable match for one of the facts. The fact here is that the machine will pick weed over crop based on plant shade.

A - This could be a problem as programming the shades of all the weeds could also be the shade of a crop
B - See A - problem
C - Problem as it indicates weed vs crop is a size issue not a colour issue
E - Not really important to the overall fact pattern.

D - Compliments crop can be a different colour than the weeds around!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 9

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 16:54
D, as the other choices weakens it...

A. There is a considerable degree of variation in shade of color between weeds of different species. -variation in color of weeds weakens...
B. The shade of color of some plants tends to change appreciably over the course of their growing season. -same as A
C. When crops are weeded manually, overall size and leaf shape are taken into account in distinguishing crop plants from weeds. -not related
D. Selection and genetic manipulation allow plants of virtually any species to be economically bred to have a distinctive shade of color without altering their other characteristics. -best.
E. Farm laborers who are responsible for the manual weeding of crops carry out other agricultural duties at times in the growing season when extensive weeding is not necessary. -not related
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 32

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 01:10
I go with D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 06:39
I will go with A.
The reason is: If weeds come in various shades of green color,for example, it may be easy to pick out light green shade as weeds when compared to dark green shade of crops, by the naked eye, but it may not be that easy to pick out dark shade of green weeds from dark shade of green crops; according to the stimulus, the machine can do just that. So, it supports the use of a weeding machine.
D on the other hand, weakens the argument. If crops and weeds have distinctive different colors, then you may not need an optical microprocessor to do the job. Even the naked eye could do the job as well.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 16:15
rkassal wrote:
I will go with A.
The reason is: If weeds come in various shades of green color,for example, it may be easy to pick out light green shade as weeds when compared to dark green shade of crops, by the naked eye, but it may not be that easy to pick out dark shade of green weeds from dark shade of green crops; according to the stimulus, the machine can do just that. So, it supports the use of a weeding machine.
D on the other hand, weakens the argument. If crops and weeds have distinctive different colors, then you may not need an optical microprocessor to do the job. Even the naked eye could do the job as well.

Your reasoning is not correct , I guess. Question asks for the consideration of why company plan to develop a machine that can distinguish between weeds and corps using the differences in shade of color. Choice A does not speak anything about corp plants. So choice a does not say anything in favor of companies plan.

Choice D speaks in favor of the companies plan - it says that any plant can be given a new distinct shade of color economically without changing its other characteristics. This is in favor of the companies plan to develop a machine that can distinguish weeds from corp plants using differences in color.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 16:16
PoojaSimply - what is OA?
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 23

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 17:47
I'll go with D here as well. The others seems to weaken the company's initiative to implement its plan. What's the OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 21:56
D for me too.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 6

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 13:13
Even I would go for A....

In D if we can achieve distinctive shades of colours then why do we need the machine to do the job. As per stimulus the machine is used to identify different shades of the colour.

OA please...
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 23

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 14:13
With D, the company will be able to adapt to the colors of weeds created by the genetic manipulation, making the machine more successful. With A, since there is a 'considerable degree' of color schemes with weeds, it will be more of a challenge for the company to implement sensors and microprocessors to deal with the numerous schemes that they will not be aware of at first.

Still sticking with D. What's the OA??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 14:30
I would go with D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 6

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 14:36
I think OA is must now....
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
WE 1: 5 Years
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 3

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 14:46
Pretty sure OA would be D. I even checked another forum agreeing with D.

Rock On

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 05:51
I think a very important thing to eliminate wrong answers is to find the irrelevant ones:

(A) the original subject didnt even mention about "different species" of crop plants. its irrelevant.

(B) the change of color is irrelevant and indirect to the company's plans

(C) actually i was really stuck in this answer. cuz i thought that if people had to take all those things besides shade of color into consideration, then they had to spend more time on distinguishing the plants. and i considered it the reason why the company emphazised on the advantage of machine use.

(D) i dont know how to say about D..cuz i chose C

(E) whether farm laborers are busy with other business at other time is not relevant.

live and love like you never hurt.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 05:49
IMO D

Please everyone, we should post the source of question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS IMPORTANT

Success is my Destiny

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 08:11
I agree with D and the people who are urging for the source of the posted questions.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 1

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 10:15
D ..all th way
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

Re: prototype weeding machine [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 21:24
Can someone please explain what the qs is trying to ask?? Should we pick an answer that supports company's purchase of the machine ???
Re: prototype weeding machine   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2010, 21:24