Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 13:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A company s two divisions performed with remarkable

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 509
Location: Kolkata
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 66

GMAT Tests User
A company s two divisions performed with remarkable [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 19:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

43% (01:56) correct 57% (01:14) wrong based on 11 sessions
A company’s two divisions performed with remarkable consistency over the past three years: in each of those years, the pharmaceuticals division has accounted for roughly 20 percent of dollar ales and 40 percent of profits, and the chemicals division for the balance.

Which of the following can properly be inferred regarding the past three years from the statement above?

a) Total dollar sales for each of the company’s divisions have remained roughly constant.
b) The pharmaceuticals division has faced stiffer competition in its markets than has the chemicals division.
c) The chemicals division has realized lower profits per dollar of sales than has the pharmaceuticals division.
d) The product mix offered by each of the company’s divisions has remained unchanged.
e) Highly profitable products accounted for a higher percentage of the chemicals division’s sales than of those of the pharmaceuticals divisions.

Think before you go for the answer :P
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 176
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Company CR-Good one [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 20:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
a) Total dollar sales for each of the company’s divisions have remained roughly constant.
We do not know the the total dollar sales for the divisions. Wrong answer.

b) The pharmaceuticals division has faced stiffer competition in its markets than has the chemicals division.
The statement says nothing about competition in the markets.

d) The product mix offered by each of the company’s divisions has remained unchanged.
It doesn't matter if the product mix offered by each of the company’s divisions remained the same or not.

c) The chemicals division has realized lower profits per dollar of sales than has the pharmaceuticals division.
The pharmaceuticals division has accounted for 20% of the total dollar sales and 40% of the profits while the chemicals division has accounted for 80% of the total dollar sales and 60% of the profits. So we can infer that the pharma division made more profits per dollar of sales than the chemicals division did.

e) Highly profitable products accounted for a higher percentage of the chemicals division’s sales than of those of the pharmaceuticals divisions.
If the chemicals division's products were highly profitable compared to those of the pharma division, then the chemicals division should have made much more profits on the total dollar sales than the pharma division. However, this was not the case.

I go for C.
_________________

Give [highlight]KUDOS [/highlight] if you like my post.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Company CR-Good one [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 22:52
suyashjhawar wrote:
A company’s two divisions performed with remarkable consistency over the past three years: in each of those years, the pharmaceuticals division has accounted for roughly 20 percent of dollar ales and 40 percent of profits, and the chemicals division for the balance.

Which of the following can properly be inferred regarding the past three years from the statement above?

a) Total dollar sales for each of the company’s divisions have remained roughly constant.
b) The pharmaceuticals division has faced stiffer competition in its markets than has the chemicals division.
c) The chemicals division has realized lower profits per dollar of sales than has the pharmaceuticals division.
d) The product mix offered by each of the company’s divisions has remained unchanged.
e) Highly profitable products accounted for a higher percentage of the chemicals division’s sales than of those of the pharmaceuticals divisions.

Think before you go for the answer :P



I think it should be A because the the entire percentages are based on total dollar sales value, if they remain constant

A is the one I go for. It is the sole assumption on which the statements are based. For a period of three years and key word "each of those years"

rest all go out of the way.

D was an option here but somehow it looked vague to me here. A is the only option which atleast qualifies.


OA please???
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 318
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Company CR-Good one [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 05:57
1
This post received
KUDOS
C

A is not the right choice. The question is talking about 20% and 80% total sales between the two divisions.
_________________

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2010
Posts: 167
Schools: Tuck Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Company CR-Good one [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 07:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
suyashjhawar wrote:
A company’s two divisions performed with remarkable consistency over the past three years: in each of those years, the pharmaceuticals division has accounted for roughly 20 percent of dollar ales and 40 percent of profits, and the chemicals division for the balance.

Which of the following can properly be inferred regarding the past three years from the statement above?

a) Total dollar sales for each of the company’s divisions have remained roughly constant.
b) The pharmaceuticals division has faced stiffer competition in its markets than has the chemicals division.
c) The chemicals division has realized lower profits per dollar of sales than has the pharmaceuticals division.
d) The product mix offered by each of the company’s divisions has remained unchanged.
e) Highly profitable products accounted for a higher percentage of the chemicals division’s sales than of those of the pharmaceuticals divisions.

Think before you go for the answer :P


If "S" is sales and "P" is profit:
Pharma = 0.4*P/0.2*S = 2P/S
Chemic = 0.6*P/0.8*S = 3P/4S

Thus, the chemical division realizes a lower profit per sales than that of the Pharma. C.
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 538
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [3] , given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Company CR-Good one [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 07:23
3
This post received
KUDOS
This seems like such a math question. I read through all of the answer choices and read E. I thought E was the right answer but it seemed to easy then looked back at C. C is the answer for sure. Pharma: 20% of "ales" but makes up 40% of profits.
_________________

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Company CR-Good one [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 08:02
MBAUncle wrote:
suyashjhawar wrote:
A company’s two divisions performed with remarkable consistency over the past three years: in each of those years, the pharmaceuticals division has accounted for roughly 20 percent of dollar ales and 40 percent of profits, and the chemicals division for the balance.

Which of the following can properly be inferred regarding the past three years from the statement above?

a) Total dollar sales for each of the company’s divisions have remained roughly constant.
b) The pharmaceuticals division has faced stiffer competition in its markets than has the chemicals division.
c) The chemicals division has realized lower profits per dollar of sales than has the pharmaceuticals division.
d) The product mix offered by each of the company’s divisions has remained unchanged.
e) Highly profitable products accounted for a higher percentage of the chemicals division’s sales than of those of the pharmaceuticals divisions.

Think before you go for the answer :P


If "S" is sales and "P" is profit:
Pharma = 0.4*P/0.2*S = 2P/S
Chemic = 0.6*P/0.8*S = 3P/4S

Thus, the chemical division realizes a lower profit per sales than that of the Pharma. C.



Guys you cannot make those calculations unless the total sales value is constant. We dont know the changes which happened in share out of the total value across all years.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 538
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Company CR-Good one [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 08:39
sauravdas wrote:
Guys you cannot make those calculations unless the total sales value is constant. We dont know the changes which happened in share out of the total value across all years.

A company’s two divisions performed with remarkable consistency over the past three years.
_________________

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 509
Location: Kolkata
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Company CR-Good one [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 09:17
OA is C friends.Rightly pointed by many.

Pharmaceuticals division made 40% profit on only 20 % of sales while chemicals division making up the balance made 60% of profits on 80% of sales. Thus chemicals division made a lower profit per dollar of sale than the pharmaceuticals division, hence Choice C.
No info about total dollar sales, so A incorrect nor about the severity of competition so B incorrect. No info is provided about the mix of products nor about the breakdown between highly profitable and not highly profitable products. So neither D nor E.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 538
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Company CR-Good one [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 09:29
suyashjhawar wrote:
OA is C friends.Rightly pointed by many.

Pharmaceuticals division made 40% profit on only 20 % of sales while chemicals division making up the balance made 60% of profits on 80% of sales. Thus chemicals division made a lower profit per dollar of sale than the pharmaceuticals division, hence Choice C.
No info about total dollar sales, so A incorrect nor about the severity of competition so B incorrect. No info is provided about the mix of products nor about the breakdown between highly profitable and not highly profitable products. So neither D nor E.

Thanks for posting the questions, these are great. Keep up the good work.
_________________

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 102
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Company CR-Good one [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 10:09
OE?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 509
Location: Kolkata
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Company CR-Good one [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 10:42
Dawgie wrote:
suyashjhawar wrote:
OA is C friends.Rightly pointed by many.

Pharmaceuticals division made 40% profit on only 20 % of sales while chemicals division making up the balance made 60% of profits on 80% of sales. Thus chemicals division made a lower profit per dollar of sale than the pharmaceuticals division, hence Choice C.
No info about total dollar sales, so A incorrect nor about the severity of competition so B incorrect. No info is provided about the mix of products nor about the breakdown between highly profitable and not highly profitable products. So neither D nor E.

Thanks for posting the questions, these are great. Keep up the good work.


Even i loved this question.Kudos waiting :lol:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 176
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Company CR-Good one [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 10:53
suyashjhawar wrote:
Dawgie wrote:
suyashjhawar wrote:
OA is C friends.Rightly pointed by many.

Pharmaceuticals division made 40% profit on only 20 % of sales while chemicals division making up the balance made 60% of profits on 80% of sales. Thus chemicals division made a lower profit per dollar of sale than the pharmaceuticals division, hence Choice C.
No info about total dollar sales, so A incorrect nor about the severity of competition so B incorrect. No info is provided about the mix of products nor about the breakdown between highly profitable and not highly profitable products. So neither D nor E.

Thanks for posting the questions, these are great. Keep up the good work.


Even i loved this question.Kudos waiting :lol:


:done
_________________

Give [highlight]KUDOS [/highlight] if you like my post.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 70
Location: Texas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Company CR-Good one [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 13:42
Hard to understand the question. Are there words missing or something? "dollar ales" and "and the chemicals division for the balance"??? Maybe I can't think straight anymore and need to take a break...

Anyway, I think it is C.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 509
Location: Kolkata
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Company CR-Good one [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 18:57
Lethal wrote:
Hard to understand the question. Are there words missing or something? "dollar ales" and "and the chemicals division for the balance"??? Maybe I can't think straight anymore and need to take a break...

Anyway, I think it is C.


Typo error .....its sales.Sorry for that.
Re: Company CR-Good one   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2010, 18:57
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 The two divisions of a high-tech company have performed iwillcrackgmat 11 14 Mar 2012, 00:44
7 A company's two division performed with remarkable faifai0714 8 15 Feb 2007, 20:19
A company's two division performed with remarkable bewakoof 9 10 Dec 2005, 14:18
1 By merging its two publishing division, the company will wahi00 6 14 Sep 2005, 14:12
By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will damit 7 06 Sep 2004, 12:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A company s two divisions performed with remarkable

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.