Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [11]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [2]
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management , Enterprenureship
Schools:ISB, IIM
GMAT 2: 690  Q50  V34
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
Re: A computer crash has occurred when a computer's central [#permalink]
Kudos
Aj85 wrote:
A computer crash has occurred when a computer's central processing unit 'freezes up' and cannot respond to further commands or perform additional functions. In the split second during a computer crash, however, certain functions are still possible. When cindy's micron 401 computer crashed, she suspected it was due to an electrical power surge to the computer. The micron 401 computer usually does not work fast enough during a crash to produce an error message on the screen before the computer 'freezes'. However an error message can be triggered by an electrical power surge to the computer. Whenever a micron 401 computer crashes without producing an error message on the screen, the computer's hard drive is damaged. Upon restarting her computer, cindy determined its hard drive was not damaged.
No Damage -> Message triggered -> Electrical power surge
Electrical power surge-> still the hard drive is safe-> The micron 401 computer is built to withstand electrical power surges
Hence "D"
Which one of the following must be true on basis of the information above ?

(A) If the micron 401's processor worked faster during the crash, the computer 's hard drive would have been damaged.

(B) The micron 401's hard drive is specially suited to withstand computer crashes.

(c) If the the micron 401's crash was not due to an electrical power surge, the computer's processor worked unusually fast during the crash.

(D) The micron 401 computer is built to withstand electrical power surges.

(E) If an error message appeared on the screen of the micron 401, it did so only after computer crashed.

Wow, I am the first one to fight the battle against this question.
Intern
Intern
Status:"You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 2: 570 GMAT 3: 620  Q47  V28
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
A computer crash has occurred when a computer's central processing unit 'freezes up' and cannot respond to further commands or perform additional functions. In the split second during a computer crash, however, certain functions are still possible. When cindy's micron 401 computer crashed, she suspected it was due to an electrical power surge to the computer. The micron 401 computer usually does not work fast enough during a crash to produce an error message on the screen before the computer 'freezes'. However an error message can be triggered by an electrical power surge to the computer. Whenever a micron 401 computer crashes without producing an error message on the screen, the computer's hard drive is damaged. Upon restarting her computer, cindy determined its hard drive was not damaged.

Confusing subject matter but my vote goes with C because it seems to paraphrase the argument and to not be as strongly worded as the other choices.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [1]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Kudos
Aj85 wrote:

Which one of the following must be true on basis of the information above?

(A) If the micron 401's processor worked faster during the crash, the computer's hard drive would have been damaged.

(B) The micron 401's hard drive is specially suited to withstand computer crashes.

(c) If the the micron 401's crash was not due to an electrical power surge, the computer's processor worked unusually fast during the crash.

(E) If an error message appeared on the screen of the micron 401, it did so only after computer crashed.

Good question. Beyond GMAT difficulty level, I hope.

Facts:
Computer crashed.
Hard drive was not damaged.
Message was triggered.(This is an inference to hold the previous statement true)

Message could be triggered in at least two scenarios:
1. When computer crashed because of electrical power surge.
2. If computer didn't crash because of electrical power surge and the processor was unusually fast.

"C" takes 2 into consideration.
"computer usually does not work fast enough during a crash to produce an error message". Had the computer been slow during the crash as usual, the error message wouldn't have appeared and would have resulted in the hard-drive damage; however, the damage didn't happen because 401 was fast enough to generate the required message and the crash didn't damage the hard-drive.

Let's also rule out others:
(A) If the micron 401's processor worked faster during the crash, the computer's hard drive would have been damaged.
Opposite of what we just saw for C.

"The micron 401 computer usually does not work fast enough during a crash to produce an error message".
"Whenever a micron 401 computer crashes without producing an error message on the screen, the computer's hard drive is damaged"
So much for B to be true.

Two things:
1. It says computer is built to withstand the surge. It should have said "hard-drive" is built to withstand the surges.
2. Even if we assume that "hard-drive is built to withstand electrical power surges", the assumption may not be true.
Look at this:
"However an error message can be triggered by an electrical power surge to the computer"
We know that when an error message is not generated, the hard-drive crashes. We can't infer the opposite from this i.e.
"when an error message is generated, the hard-drive doesn't crash"
Also,
The word "can" is giving us a possibility that the message CAN be generated; it doesn't mean the message WILL be generated. When the message could not be generated after the surge, then also the hard-drive will be damaged, falsifying D.

Some activity can happen during the crash, but everything freezes after the crash. No way this can happen. False.

Ans: "C"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I must agree that this one is a tough question.. What is the source of this question (Please don't give me LSAT name for this)

I am confused between option C and option D. Option B can be simply ruled out because we cannot infer that "hard drive is specially suited"

Option A -- talks just the opposite.. It is given in the question that if the processor workes faster an error message is produced.

option E can also be ruled out because the scenario described is not possible - it is given that the error message is produced during the crash and not after the crash.

I will choose option D. Reason --

Events given are:- Hard Drive not damaged --> possible reason (Error message was displayed) -- > But the processor of micron 401 PC is not ususally fast, so this can be ruled out that the processor worked unusually fast during the crash.. --> the only possibility that seems possible is that there was an ELECTRONIC SURGE (it is given that error message can be produced via Electronic surge) ---> this means that micron 401 is build to withstand ELECTRONIC SURGE because even after the crash, the Hard Drive was safe..

Please let me know what is the official answer. I will not be surprised if I am wrong because this question is way too tricky.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I would also go with D

OA?

Regards,
Archana
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Send PM
I also go with D.. took three mins to understand

Electrical --> Computer give warning--> it is protected against power surge
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.28
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Depaulian wrote:
B

y I said B is

Cindy suspected that its an electrical surge, which means that an error msg trigger by electrical surge was displayed before crashing.

and it is given Whenever a micron 401 computer crashes without producing an error message on the screen, the computer's hard drive is damaged, but nting is said for sure abt the state of hard drive if the error msg is displayed.
That can only be confirmed(or determined as cindy did) by restarting the system after the crash.
so it tells that the harddrive is capable of withstanding the crash option B

It cannot be option D, because it says The micron 401 computer is built to withstand electrical power surges..If 401 was buit to withstand electrical power surges , it wudn't have crashed in the first place.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
will vote for C. Though D also looks correct!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Send PM
Thx fluke for the very good reply to this question. I think sometimes size of question and amount of info to deal with makes a question very intimidating. For me instead of calmly reading the question one time I was rushing from first sentence to last and because of that ended up reading it many times, wasted time and still couldn't get the right understanding. And yes this may be beyond GMAT level question, I usually do well on LSAT questions but my accuracy rate for questions of this book 'Kaplan lsat 180' is not very good. I believe it has questions which are even above LSAT level.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
IMO C. This question looks more like a LSAT question than a GMAT question. It uses deductive reasoning.

Aj85 wrote:

Which one of the following must be true on basis of the information above ?

(A) If the micron 401's processor worked faster during the crash, the computer 's hard drive would have been damaged.

(c) If the the micron 401's crash was not due to an electrical power surge, the computer's processor worked unusually fast during the crash. -if the computer was crashed and the hard disk was not destroyed, it means that an error message was produced. Also an error message is produced by electrical power surge. So lets assume if it was not produced by electrical power surge, the computer might have worked unusually fast

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.28
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Aj85 wrote:
Thx fluke for the very good reply to this question. I think sometimes size of question and amount of info to deal with makes a question very intimidating. For me instead of calmly reading the question one time I was rushing from first sentence to last and because of that ended up reading it many times, wasted time and still couldn't get the right understanding. And yes this may be beyond GMAT level question, I usually do well on LSAT questions but my accuracy rate for questions of this book 'Kaplan lsat 180' is not very good. I believe it has questions which are even above LSAT level.

OMG...dere r questions even beyond LSAT lvl ?? :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
very tricky wording...i don't know why i marked E...should have read the question properly...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
No error message means no electrical power surge.
No hard disk crash means CPU worked faster to avoid.
C is the only one that satisfies the above criteria!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 477
Send PM
Can someone pls explain how C is correct
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts