Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A confidential survey revealed that 75 percent of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A confidential survey revealed that 75 percent of the [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 12:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

50% (02:51) correct 50% (01:32) wrong based on 9 sessions
A confidential survey revealed that 75 percent of the employees of Company P are dissatisfied with their jobs. However, an investigation into working conditions at the company showed nothing uncommonly bad. Therefore, Company P's consulting firm concluded that the employees' dissatisfaction must result from an unusually high incidence of psychological problems on their part.

Each of the following, if true, casts doubt on the consulting firm's conclusion EXCEPT:

A In the investigation of working conditions, no account was taken of the fact that for the past year many Company P employees
worked on a joint venture with Company O, at Company O's facilities.
B. Workers in many companies are dissatisfied although there are no apparent problems with their working conditions.
C. The consulting firm's conception of what constitutes uncommonly bad working conditions is not identical to that of Company P's employees.
D. The reasons given by Company P's employees for their dissatisfaction varied greatly from employee to employee.
E. A battery of tests performed on Acme's employees one month ago revealed no significant psychological stresses or problems

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA is D and I don't have any problem for D. But how do I eliminate E? For me (if there is no typo in E), E is out of scope
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 6

Re: Discuss how to eliminate one of the options [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 07:35
The question says that all of the options casts doubt on consulting firm's conclusion except one.

I am okay with the asnwer (D) but how does option (E) cast doubt on consulting firm's conclusion. Should we eliminate option (E) as out of scope or should we eliminate it as it is casting doubt on the firm'c conclusion.

Please explain.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Discuss how to eliminate one of the options [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 11:38
For me D is strengthen the firms argument and E is irrelevant . Hence E doesn't cast doubt on its argument
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Discuss how to eliminate one of the options [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 12:05
angel2009 wrote:
For me D is strengthen the firms argument and E is irrelevant . Hence E doesn't cast doubt on its argument

E is not irrelevant.
Consulting firm's conclusion: employee dissatisfaction results from psychological problems.
Answer E: Tests show no psychological problems.
Now, if tests were carried out on employees and it was found that there were no real psychological problems with the employees, then, it weakens the consulting firm's conclusion.

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Discuss how to eliminate one of the options [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 13:19
E clearly does not support the conclusion...

can someone pls strip and explain the OA...
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 315

Kudos [?]: 658 [0], given: 11

Re: Discuss how to eliminate one of the options [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 17:02
Hey All,

As per your request, I thought I'd take this one on in long form, realistic fashion (outlining the passage itself, and describing the effect of each answer choice). Let's take a look:

A confidential survey revealed that 75 percent of the employees of Company P are dissatisfied with their jobs. However, an investigation into working conditions at the company showed nothing uncommonly bad. Therefore, Company P's consulting firm concluded that the employees' dissatisfaction must result from an unusually high incidence of psychological problems on their part.

Conclusion: Dissatisfaction result of employee psych problems
Premises: 75% of employees dissatisfied, nothing uncommonly bad
Assumptions: [There are many here, which we would expect, given that there are 4 answer choices that take advantage of these assumptions; I'll try to hit some up without looking at the answer choices] 75% is an above average amount of dissatisfaction. Psychological problems connect to job dissatisfaction. Something other than working conditions is affecting things.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. It's not necessarily important to write these out, but I like going into EXCEPT questions with at least a little bit of ammo, as I'm going to have to find four answer choices that weaken.

Each of the following, if true, casts doubt on the consulting firm's conclusion EXCEPT:

A In the investigation of working conditions, no account was taken of the fact that for the past year many Company P employees worked on a joint venture with Company O, at Company O's facilities.
PROBLEM: Definitely weakens. This would relate most closely to the third assumption I guessed at. Working conditions at P aren't the issue, but at O.

B. Workers in many companies are dissatisfied although there are no apparent problems with their working conditions.
PROBLEM: Ha! I saw this one coming with my first assumption. Definitely weakens, because now there's no way to conclude they have psych problems, because they're the same as everyone else.

C. The consulting firm's conception of what constitutes uncommonly bad working conditions is not identical to that of Company P's employees.
PROBLEM: Didn't see this one coming, but it definitely weakens. If the consulting firm thinks the working conditions are fine, but the employees don't, it could still be the working conditions making the employees unhappy.

D. The reasons given by Company P's employees for their dissatisfaction varied greatly from employee to employee.
PROBLEM: This doesn't weaken much (what people claim to be true is always dangerous on the GMAT), but it's enough. After all, if everyone has different reasons, it would be silly to conclude that everyone's reason is actually the same (psych problems).

E. A battery of tests performed on Acme's employees one month ago revealed no significant psychological stresses or problems
ANSWER: This doesn't weaken at all. We don't know anything about Acme, including how dissatisfied people are. Maybe at ACME, there is a really low dissatisfaction rate, in which case this would STRENGTHEN the argument. Because there's no way to know, this doesn't weaken.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Discuss how to eliminate one of the options   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2010, 17:02