Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 20:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A conservation group in the United States is trying to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 99

A conservation group in the United States is trying to [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 09:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:46) correct 16% (00:42) wrong based on 455 sessions
A conservation group in the United States is trying to change the long-standing image of bats as frightening creatures. The group contends that bats are feared and persecuted solely because they are shy animals that are active only at night.

Which of the following, if true, would cast the most serious doubt on the accuracy of the group’s contention?

(A) Bats are steadily losing natural roosting places such as caves and hollow trees and are thus turning to more developed areas for roosting.
(B) Bats are the chief consumers of nocturnal insects and thus can help make their hunting territory more pleasant for humans.
(C) Bats are regarded as frightening creatures not only in the United States but also in Europe, Africa, and South America.
(D) Raccoons and owls are shy and active only at night; yet they are not generally feared and persecuted.
(E) People know more about the behavior of other greatly feared animal species, such as lions, alligators, and snakes, than they do about the behavior of bats.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 09:47
A- because it says bats are now moving to more developed area for settling where as the group say bats are shy animals. Shy animals dont move into a area where there are lots of people.

Other choices are all irrelevant
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 1

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 09:50
ugimba wrote:
A conservation group in the United States is trying to change the long-standing image of bats as frightening creatures. The group contends that bats are feared and persecuted solely because they are shy animals that are active only at night.
Which of the following, if true, would cast the most serious doubt on the accuracy of the group’s contention?
(A) Bats are steadily losing natural roosting places such as caves and hollow trees and are thus turning to more developed areas for roosting. This is irrelevant
(B) Bats are the chief consumers of nocturnal insects and thus can help make their hunting territory more pleasant for humans. This is irrelevant
(C) Bats are regarded as frightening creatures not only in the United States but also in Europe, Africa, and South America. This is irrelevant
(D) Raccoons and owls are shy and active only at night; yet they are not generally feared and persecuted. This weakens the argument at bat is feared solely because they are shy and active only at night.
(E) People know more about the behavior of other greatly feared animal species, such as lions, alligators, and snakes, than they do about the behavior of bats. This is irrelevant
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 09:53
ugimba wrote:
(A) Bats are steadily losing natural roosting places such as caves and hollow trees and are thus turning to more developed areas for roosting.
(B) Bats are the chief consumers of nocturnal insects and thus can help make their hunting territory more pleasant for humans.
(C) Bats are regarded as frightening creatures not only in the United States but also in Europe, Africa, and South America.
(D) Raccoons and owls are shy and active only at night; yet they are not generally feared and persecuted.
(E) People know more about the behavior of other greatly feared animal species, such as lions, alligators, and snakes, than they do about the behavior of bats.

D?
Argument conclusion: bats are feared solely because they are shy animals that are active only at night.
D weakens it.
Director
Director

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 10:35
the people who picked D.. is D not out side of the argument? because, in the argument description, author talking about bats only right? for Raccoons and Owls that may be the case but for bats, that may not be the case?

I thought A makes more sense because, they are coming closer to developed areas (means they will involve with crowd) says that they are not shy...

where am I missing the point?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 1

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 10:47
ugimba wrote:
the people who picked D.. is D not out side of the argument? because, in the argument description, author talking about bats only right? for Raccoons and Owls that may be the case but for bats, that may not be the case?

I thought A makes more sense because, they are coming closer to developed areas (means they will involve with crowd) says that they are not shy...

For weaken or strengthen question, you need to focus on the conclusion of the argument. The correct answer choice should impact the conclusion. The conclusion of this argument said the bat is feared solely because it is shy and active only at night. Answer D shows there might be other reasons the bat is feared. The question's focus is not whether the bat is shy or not shy. The focus is whether the bat is feared only because it is shy. (Pay attention to the word solely.)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 12:03
Eileen, I got it now...i considered only the argument, bat is shy, thats y chose A,
I did not take into account their activity in the night and A does not tell anything about it.

eileen1017 wrote:
ugimba wrote:

For weaken or strengthen question, you need to focus on the conclusion of the argument. The correct answer choice should impact the conclusion. The conclusion of this argument said the bat is feared solely because it is shy and active only at night. Answer D shows there might be other reasons the bat is feared. The question's focus is not whether the bat is shy or not shy. The focus is whether the bat is feared only because it is shy. (Pay attention to the word solely.)
Director
Director

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 12:07
eileen1017 wrote:
ugimba wrote:

Thank you for your explanation.
Director
Director
Followers: 47

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 17

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 22:54
Clearly D
weaken Question
conclusion is
bats are feared and persecuted solely because they are shy animals that are active only at night.

we have to found some shy and active nocturnal (Bat type) who are not feared and prosecuted...

ugimba wrote:

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 0

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 01:03
Clear D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2010, 10:11
Ans is Clearly D. with counter example
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2010, 11:45
D for me by process of elimination.

A)
certainly offers an alternative theory to why bats may be persecuted - because they come into contact with humans since they are losing their roosting places and moving into human territory. However the main argument is that humans persecute bats because they are shy so this choice does not do anything to cast doubt on that argument

B) - same as A. Good alternative theory that does nothing to address the main reason the group thinks bats are persecuted.

C) Is irrelevant. So they're frightening in Europe, Africa and S.America - so what? It does not address the theory posed in the question (people persecute bats because they are shy)

D) Now this to me seems to offer a counter argument to the theory. Why don't people persecute racoons and owls yet they exhibit the same characteristics as bats?

E) Actually strengthens the argument posed. That people persecute bats because they do not understand them.

My pick: D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2010, 23:31
i think D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 05:20
The reasoning is : bats are shy => we fear bats.
D says that others such as racoons and owls are shy but we do not fear them. D wins.

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 29

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 09:54
answer is D.
it is directly opposite to the conclusion.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Manager
Manager
Status: A continuous journey of self-improvement is essential for every person -Socrates

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 20:58
ugimba wrote:

This is third family question (weaken question), so answer should be accepted as given even if it is not in the stimulus.. In this question D can be an alternative explantion or more appropriatly a valid counter argument, which will weaken the author conclusion.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 02:25
I agree. I think bats are shy. They only come out at night and when the are sleeping they cover their face. What a unique characteristic of a shy mammals.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 51

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 08:35
D is easy in this question .

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 1

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..shy bats [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 07:37
after reading the cause and affect reasoning chapter in Powerscore Bible i came to the conclusion that if there is an alternate cause for the effect then it should weaken the argument.
here
Bats are shy animal(cause)->bats are persecuted(effect)

choice A gives an alternate cause they come to developed areas.I conder D as an Answer but when i approach the problem after reading Powerscore Bible i choose A.What's the mistake in this approach
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: A conservation group in the United States is trying to [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 11:04
I strongly recomend D.
Basically this is a CR could be found in GMAT official guide 11th edition....
Re: A conservation group in the United States is trying to   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2012, 11:04