Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A construction company wants to number houses using digit

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2771
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
A construction company wants to number houses using digit [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 06:14
A construction company wants to number houses using digit plates only. If the company puts an order for 1212 plates, how many houses are to be given numbers?

(The numbers of houses are consecutive and the number of the first house is 1.)

260
440
556
111
222
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 767
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Challenge 7 #37 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 06:27
bmwhype2 wrote:
A construction company wants to number houses using digit plates only. If the company puts an order for 1212 plates, how many houses are to be given numbers?

(The numbers of houses are consecutive and the number of the first house is 1.)

260
440
556
111
222


Can you clarify - is it a digit per plate?

If so, then houses 1-9 need 9 plates.
House 10 - 99 need 2*90 = 180 plates.
1212 - 189 = 1023 plates
1023/3 = 341
341+180+9 = 530 houses.

Since this answer isn't even a choice, obviously I've totally misunderstood the question.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2771
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Challenge 7 #37 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 06:42
GK_Gmat wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
A construction company wants to number houses using digit plates only. If the company puts an order for 1212 plates, how many houses are to be given numbers?

(The numbers of houses are consecutive and the number of the first house is 1.)

260
440
556
111
222


Can you clarify - is it a digit per plate?

If so, then houses 1-9 need 9 plates.
House 10 - 99 need 2*90 = 180 plates.
1212 - 189 = 1023 plates
1023/3 = 341
341+180+9 = 530 houses.

Since this answer isn't even a choice, obviously I've totally misunderstood the question.


i have no idea. i dont even know what they are testing.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Posts: 64
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Challenge 7 #37 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 13:30
GK_Gmat wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
A construction company wants to number houses using digit plates only. If the company puts an order for 1212 plates, how many houses are to be given numbers?

(The numbers of houses are consecutive and the number of the first house is 1.)

260
440
556
111
222


Can you clarify - is it a digit per plate?

If so, then houses 1-9 need 9 plates.
House 10 - 99 need 2*90 = 180 plates.
1212 - 189 = 1023 plates
1023/3 = 341
341+180+9 = 530 houses.

Since this answer isn't even a choice, obviously I've totally misunderstood the question.



I think they are asking the digits as digits per plate and the answer should be 440. GK_Gmat you have added 180 when only 90 should have been added.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 100
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 13:50
I make it 440.

9 x 1 digit = 9 digits = 9 Houses

+

2 x 90 digits = 180 = 180 digits = 90 houses

+

1023 digits / 3 digits = 341 Houses


Thus 9 + 90 + 341 houses - A - 440 houses
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 58
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2007, 04:57
alrussell wrote:
I make it 440.

9 x 1 digit = 9 digits = 9 Houses

+

2 x 90 digits = 180 = 180 digits = 90 houses

+

1023 digits / 3 digits = 341 Houses


Thus 9 + 90 + 341 houses - A - 440 houses


Ans A. Same reasoning as above.
  [#permalink] 16 Nov 2007, 04:57
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
19 Experts publish their posts in the topic A five digit number is to be formed using each of the digits arakban99 8 05 Sep 2013, 21:29
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic A five-digit number divisible by 3 is to be formed using miteshsholay 1 06 Aug 2012, 08:23
Experts publish their posts in the topic A FIVE DIGIT NUMBER DIVISIBLE BY 3 IS TO BE FORMED USING THE anilnandyala 5 08 Oct 2010, 03:53
Experts publish their posts in the topic A security company can use number 1 -7 to create a 5 digit TheSituation 3 23 Feb 2010, 15:39
Todd's construction company is capable of building 4 houses tbetten 5 18 Jun 2005, 10:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A construction company wants to number houses using digit

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.