Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 03:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (02:44) correct 37% (02:30) wrong based on 267 sessions
A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that the percentage of action films that received the survey's highest rating was greater than the percentage of romance films that received the highest rating. Yet the survey organizers were probably erroneous in their conclusion that subject matter determines a feature film's popular appeal since the action films were all directed by filmmakers with at least one hit film to their credit, while the romance films were directed by newer filmmakers, many of who had not produced a previous film.

Each of the following, if true, supports the author's contention that the organizers misinterpreted the survey data EXCEPT

(A) the fact that one has directed a previous hit film is a positive indicator of the director's filmmaking talent

(B) consumer ratings of a new film are influenced by previous histroy of success of the film director

(C) action films generally require larger budgets than romance films are are thus prohibitive for many first-time film directors

(D) it is rare for the films of first-time directors to attain the popular appeal of films directed by filmmakers with at least one hit film to their credit

(E) directors who have produced a previous hit film generally obtain the largest budgets and attract the most talented and well-known actors for their subsequent films.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 44

Re: A consumer survey of independent feature films reveal.. [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 22:18
vomhorizon wrote:
A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that the percentage of action films that received the survey's highest rating was greater than the percentage of romance films that received the highest rating. Yet the survey organizers were probably erroneous in their conclusion that subject matter determines a feature film's popular appeal since the action films were all directed by filmmakers with at least one hit film to their credit, while the romance films were directed by newer filmmakers, many of who had not produced a previous film.

Each of the following, if true, supports the author's contention that the organizers misinterpreted the survey data EXCEPT

(A) the fact that one has directed a previous hit film is a positive indicator of the director's filmmaking talent

(B) consumer ratings of a new film are influenced by previous histroy of success of the film director

(C) action films generally require larger budgets than romance films are are thus prohibitive for many first-time film directors

(D) it is rare for the films of first-time directors to attain the popular appeal of films directed by filmmakers with at least one hit film to their credit

(E) directors who have produced a previous hit film generally obtain the largest budgets and attract the most talented and well-known actors for their subsequent films.

Premise : -- > % of highest rating of action film > highest rating of romance

Conclusion : Organizer misinterpretation --> experience directors are better than fresh directors

This fills the gap between and strengthens authors statement why Action films are not given to first film directors

Please correct me if im wrong...
While replying to this post i felt what this questions actually expects?
Authors statement strengthener (Premise) and Conclusion weakener (Organizer interpretation)??

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: A consumer survey of independent feature films reveal.. [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 01:19
Quote:
Yet the survey organizers were probably erroneous in their conclusion..

The conclusion refutes the view held by the survey organizers...

The question stem requires you to SCAN the answer choices in order to find one that DOES not support the author's conclusion. So each of the wrong answer choice would SUPPORT the author's conclusion..

Hope it helps..

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 103

Re: A consumer survey of independent feature films reveal.. [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 01:59
This post received
KUDOS
highest rating %action films(hit director) >> % romance films(new director)
SO it is wrong that -> subject matter determines a feature film's popular appeal
it means the author asssumes that hit film maker knows the trick to create hit films

does not strengthen -> either weaken or no effect

strengthen

strengthen

CORRECT - it hardly has any effect on the argument ; we do not know if large budget means hit films or not

strengthen

strengthen

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 246

CAT Tests
Re: A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 07:03
This question has wrong solution, C is the wrong solution posted by vomhorizon.

I have the latest edition of Kaplan 800 and this question is question #11 on Page #39. The correct answer is 100% E.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 160

Premium Member
Re: A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 07:35
Could you plz post the screenshot of the question along with OE? Will appreciate your effort as I also want to understand why C is wrong. Thanks!!

honchos wrote:

I have the latest edition of Kaplan 800 and this question is question #11 on Page #39. The correct answer is 100% E.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 246

CAT Tests
Re: A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 07:38
mba1382 wrote:
Could you plz post the screenshot of the question along with OE? Will appreciate your effort as I also want to understand why C is wrong. Thanks!!

honchos wrote:

Got the catch we both are right, options here are quite different from the options given in book although the question stem is exactly the same. If you wish I can take snapshot from my Iphone and post it here.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 160

Premium Member
Re: A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 08:07
I know that's why I asked you to post the screenshots ;-) :-)

honchos wrote:
mba1382 wrote:

honchos wrote:

Got the catch we both are right, options here are quite different from the options given in book although the question stem is exactly the same. If you wish I can take snapshot from my Iphone and post it here.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 274

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2014, 08:49
Snapshot would be nice

Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2014, 04:50
P : % of action films received higher ratings than romantic films
C : Survey organizers said "subject matter determines the films appeal" rather then directors experience.Author of the passage disagrees .

(A) the fact that one has directed a previous hit film is a positive indicator of the director's filmmaking talent-- supports the author

(B) consumer ratings of a new film are influenced by previous histroy of success of the film director -- supports the author

(C) action films generally require larger budgets than romance films are are thus prohibitive for many first-time film directors ---- budget ??

-supports author

(E) directors who have produced a previous hit film generally obtain the largest budgets and attract the most talented
and well-known actors for their subsequent films. supports author since previous hit film directors will recieve better talent movie will do better
Manager
Manager
Target GMAT Score: 700
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.25
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 23:55
C it is

C tells that budget makes it difficult for new comer directors to make action films and they settle to make romance film. But if budget is not involved they will just make more hit films and thus weaken the conclusion. This is what we are looking for. All other options support the authors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where Focus Goes Energy Flows....Follow you dream and passion.

Re: A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2014, 23:55