Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 17:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that the percentage of action films that received the survey's highest rating was greater than the percentage of romance films that received the survey's highest rating. Yet, teh survey organizers were probably erroneous in their conclusion that subject matter determines a feature film's popular appeal, since the action films were all directed by filmmakers with atleast one hit film to their credit, while the romance films were directed by newer filmmakers, many of whom had not produced a previous film.

The statements above, if true, support which of the following inferences?

A) Fewer romance films than action films received the survey's highest rating
B) There is no relationship between the popular appeal of the feature films evaluated in the survey and any previous successes of the directors of those films
C) If the consumers were surveyed regarding their impressions of big-budget mainstream films, the percentage of romance films that would receive the survey's highest rating would be lower than the percentage of action films that would receive the highest rating.
D) Experienced filmmakers are more likely to produce hit films than are new filmmakers
E) among directors with the same number of hit films to their credit, differences in the subject matter of their feature films may not affect the way the films are popularly rated.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 17:40
I am quite lost with this one but I'll give a shot :lol:

we don't know, we know the & is lower for romance films but no idea on the number of films surveyed for each category. Not good.
B) There is no relationship between the popular appeal of the feature films evaluated in the survey and any previous successes of the directors of those films
It's the contray, there is a relationship between the previous hit and the experience of the directors and the popular appeal. Not good.
C) If the consumers were surveyed regarding their impressions of big-budget mainstream films, the percentage of romance films that would receive the survey's highest rating would be lower than the percentage of action films that would receive the highest rating.
We don't know, the previous surveyed was done with experience directors for action film and new directors for romance film, nothing was realted to big budget film
D) Experienced filmmakers are more likely to produce hit films than are new filmmakers
This not inference for me, this is obvious ! If you are new you are less likely to produce many films so less chances to produce a hit....
E) among directors with the same number of hit films to their credit, differences in the subject matter of their feature films may not affect the way the films are popularly rated.
I think E is the answer
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 18:09
MA wrote:
i should go with E too.

MA:
what's your reason to refute D?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Kap 800: filmmakers [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 18:34
Vithal wrote:
A consumer survey of independent feature films revealed that the percentage of action films that received the survey's highest rating was greater than the percentage of romance films that received the survey's highest rating. Yet, teh survey organizers were probably erroneous in their conclusion that subject matter determines a feature film's popular appeal, since the action films were all directed by filmmakers with atleast one hit film to their credit, while the romance films were directed by newer filmmakers, many of whom had not produced a previous film.

The statements above, if true, support which of the following inferences?

My answer is E .
D gets refuted because : may be the high rated romance movies are produced by the new comers and those low rated are produced by experienced ones but those who have never produced a hit.

So the passage talks about : what matters is how many hit you have to your credit so E the answer.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 18:45
Vithal wrote:
MA wrote:
i should go with E too.

MA: what's your reason to refute D?

vithal, i think hit films are not the issue. the issue is popular apeal and hit film doesnot mean popular apeal.
Current Student
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 20:41
D or E. D seems to easy, as if there is a trick involved.

E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 21:08
a) Wrong. Like others have said. Don't know the actual number, just the percentage.

b) Wrong. Contrary. The argument is trying to say there is a relationship.

c) Wrong. Passage says nothing about big budget films. We are talking about independent films. For all we know big budget films could be completely the opposite.

d) wrong. expierenced filmakers are not more likley to have a hit film. All the passage states is that popular films were directed by producers who already had a hit film. If you are brand new then obviously you cant already have a hit film. But we cant conlcude that a producers first movie or 30th movie is anymore likely to be a hit.

e) Correct. This is what the passage is trying to say. That subject matter doesnt really matter. Its more about if the director has a hit film under his/her belt.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2005, 07:03
I will go with E too.
The author is eluding towards a biased survey, saying that the consumers rated the movies directed by directors who had already given a hit film more favorably than the other movies.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2005, 15:33
MA wrote:
vithal, i think hit films are not the issue. the issue is popular apeal and hit film doesnot mean popular apeal.

How can a movie be a 'hit', if it's not popular? :roll:

I guess the key here is to understand that the statement did not directly say that there is any relationship between hit movie and the director's experience. Such assumption is beyond inference.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 May 2005, 11:07
OA is E indeed!
  [#permalink] 14 May 2005, 11:07