Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A container has a capacity of 20 gallons and is full of spi

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2011
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

A container has a capacity of 20 gallons and is full of spi [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 02:22
2
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (03:16) correct 65% (01:45) wrong based on 62 sessions
A container has a capacity of 20 gallons and is full of spirit. 4 gallons of spirit is drawn out and the container is again filled with water. This process is repeated 5 times. Find how much spirit is left in the resulting mixture finally?

A. 6(257/525) gallons
B. 6(346/625) gallons
C. 6.5 gallons
D. 6.25 gallons
E. None of these
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 22 Nov 2013, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 25201
Followers: 3415

Kudos [?]: 24998 [2] , given: 2698

Re: Alligation Problem [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 09:43
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sonuindia88 wrote:
A container has a capacity of 200 gallons and is full of spirit. 4 gallons of spirit is drawn out and the container is again filled with water. This process is repeated 5 times. Find how much spirit is left in the resulting mixture finally?

a) 6(257/525) gallons
b) 6(346/625) gallons
c) 6.5 gallons
d) 6.25 gallons
e) None of these


First of all I think it should be 20 gallons instead of 200 in order the answer to be B.

Note that 4 gallons is 20% of a capacity. Now, when we remove 20% of spirit for the first time 80% of spirit is left --> when we remove 4 gallons of the mixture for the second time, or again 20% of the capacity, we still remove 20% of the remaining spirit with it (this 4 gallons of the mixture, which is 20% of the capacity, contains 20% of the remaining spirit), so again 80% of the spirit is left... So every time we remove 4 gallons, we re move 20% of the remaining spirit and 80% is left. So after 5 removals there will be 20*0.8^5 gallons of spirit left: 20*(\frac{4}{5})^5=\frac{4^6}{5^4}= 6\frac{346}{625}.

Answer: B.

Similar questions:
eight-litres-are-drawn-off-from-a-vessel-full-of-water-and-s-95749.html
problem-solving-97300.html
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1627
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A container has a capacity of 200 gallons and is full of spi [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 10:27
sonuindia88 wrote:
A container has a capacity of 200 gallons and is full of spirit. 4 gallons of spirit is drawn out and the container is again filled with water. This process is repeated 5 times. Find how much spirit is left in the resulting mixture finally?

A. 6(257/525) gallons
B. 6(346/625) gallons
C. 6.5 gallons
D. 6.25 gallons
E. None of these


sonuindia88 please correct question I think it should be 20 instead of 200
Cheers
J :)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 885
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 269 [0], given: 186

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A container has a capacity of 20 gallons and is full of spi [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 11:51
There is a direct formula to calculate such repetition:

Left QTY / Orig QTY = ( (Orig QTY - Rep QTY) / Orig QTY )^n
where n is number of times mixing done:

Left QTY / 20 = (20 -4)^5 / 20^5

Left QTY = 20 (16/20)^5

Left QTY = 20 ( 4/5 )^5

Left QTY = 6.5536

Answer is B

But how to convert 4^6/5^4 to mixed fraction ?
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 25201
Followers: 3415

Kudos [?]: 24998 [0], given: 2698

Re: A container has a capacity of 20 gallons and is full of spi [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 11:56
Expert's post
PiyushK wrote:
There is a direct formula to calculate such repetition:

Left QTY / Orig QTY = ( (Orig QTY - Rep QTY) / Orig QTY )^n
where n is number of times mixing done:

Left QTY / 20 = (20 -4)^5 / 20^5

Left QTY = 20 (16/20)^5

Left QTY = 20 ( 4/5 )^5

Left QTY = 6.5536

Answer is B

But how to convert 4^6/5^4 to mixed fraction ?


4^6 = 2^12 = 4,096.
5^4 = 625.

\frac{4,096}{625}=6 \frac{346}{625}.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 109
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Re: A container has a capacity of 20 gallons and is full of spi [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 01:59
Good question, tough anf and tricky!
Re: A container has a capacity of 20 gallons and is full of spi   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2014, 01:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
capacity chiccufrazer1 1 05 Jan 2013, 02:21
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic Mixture A, which is 20% oil, contains 20 gallons of water Indianblondienycgal 13 08 Aug 2012, 14:22
18 Experts publish their posts in the topic An empty fuel tank with a capacity of 200 gallons was fill macjas 11 27 May 2012, 03:59
A gasloine storage has a capacity of 480,000 gallons. How vay 4 30 Jun 2007, 01:37
1 A 450 gallon water tank is leaking at a rate of 20gallons Rayn 1 24 Jul 2006, 14:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A container has a capacity of 20 gallons and is full of spi

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.