Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: D-Day is on February 10th. and I am not stressed
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 276
Location: Kuwait
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 61 [1] , given: 52

A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 09:19
1
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (03:18) correct 47% (02:00) wrong based on 116 sessions
A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete the construction in 110 days if there was no rain. (Assume the crew does not work on any rainy day and rain is the only factor that can deter the crew from working). However, on the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain, he hired 6 more people and finished the project early. If the job was done in 100 days, how many days after day 60 had rain?

A. 4
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. 8
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Sky is the limit

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23422
Followers: 3619

Kudos [?]: 29000 [4] , given: 2874

Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 12:07
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
manalq8 wrote:
A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete the construction in 110 days if there was no rain. (Assume the crew does not work on any rainy day and rain is the only factor that can deter the crew from working). However, on the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain, he hired 6 more people and finished the project early. If the job was done in 100 days, how many days after day 60 had rain?

A. 4
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. 8


Given: 10-man crew needs 110 days to complete the construction.

"On the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain ..." --> as it was raining for 5 days then they must have bee working for 55 days thus completed 1/2 of the job, 1/2 is left (55 days of work for 10 men).

Then contractor "hired 6 more people" --> speed of construction increased 1.6 times, so the new 16-man crew needed 55/1.6=~34.4 days to complete the construction, but after they were hired job was done in 100-60=40 days --> so 5 days rained. (They needed MORE than 34 days to finish the job, so if it rained for 6 days they wouldn't be able to finish the job in 100(40) days.)

Answer: B.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: MBA Aspirant
Joined: 12 Jun 2010
Posts: 178
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 02:16
Bunnel - Could you please explain the step
"Then contractor "hired 6 more people" --> speed of construction increased 1.6 times, so the new 16-man crew needed 55/1.6=~34.4 days"
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23422
Followers: 3619

Kudos [?]: 29000 [2] , given: 2874

Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 02:41
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
subhajeet wrote:
Bunnel - Could you please explain the step
"Then contractor "hired 6 more people" --> speed of construction increased 1.6 times, so the new 16-man crew needed 55/1.6=~34.4 days"


10 men need 55 days to complete a job. How many days does 20 men need to complete the same job? In 55/2 days (the rate of 20 men group is twice the rate of 10 men group).

Similarly, if 10 men need 55 days to complete a job, 16 men (10*1.6) will need 55/1.6 days to complete the job (the rate of 16 men group is 1.6 times greater than the rate of 10 men group).

Or: there was 10*55=550 man-days of work left which can be done by 16 men in 550/16=~34.4 days.
Refer to two-consultants-can-type-up-a-report-126155.html for theory on work problems and practice questions.

Hope it helps.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5385 [1] , given: 165

Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 02:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
manalq8 wrote:
A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete the construction in 110 days if there was no rain. (Assume the crew does not work on any rainy day and rain is the only factor that can deter the crew from working). However, on the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain, he hired 6 more people and finished the project early. If the job was done in 100 days, how many days after day 60 had rain?


4
5
6
7
8


You can also look at this problem in terms of units of work.

10 people can finish the work in 110 days so there are 1100 units of work (1 unit done by 1 man in 1 day)
10 men worked for 55 days and did 10*55 = 550 units (since it rained for 5 days so day 56th to day 60th were all washed out). Now 550 units are left. [Mind you, it is an assumption that there was no rain in the first 55 days. Ideally, the question should have explicitly stated it.)

Now there are 16 people to do 550 units of work. Work will be done in 550/16 = 34.4 days i.e. 35 days are needed.
After 60th day, we have total 40 days. Out of these, 35 are needed so it must have rained on 5 days.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: MBA Aspirant
Joined: 12 Jun 2010
Posts: 178
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 1

Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 02:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
subhajeet wrote:
Bunnel - Could you please explain the step
"Then contractor "hired 6 more people" --> speed of construction increased 1.6 times, so the new 16-man crew needed 55/1.6=~34.4 days"


10 men need 55 days to complete a job. How many days does 20 men need to complete the same job? In 55/2 days (the rate of 20 men group is twice the rate of 10 men group).

Similarly, if 10 men need 55 days to complete a job, 16 men (10*1.6) will need 55/1.6 days to complete the job (the rate of 16 men group is 1.6 times greater than the rate of 10 men group).

Or: there was 10*55=550 man-days of work left which can be done by 16 men in 550/16=~34.4 days.
Refer to two-consultants-can-type-up-a-report-126155.html for theory on work problems and practice questions.

Hope it helps.


Bunnel thanks for your explanation. :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Trying.... & desperate for success.
Joined: 17 May 2012
Posts: 79
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '15
GMAT 1: Q33 V27
GPA: 2.92
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 61

Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 09:45
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
manalq8 wrote:
A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete the construction in 110 days if there was no rain. (Assume the crew does not work on any rainy day and rain is the only factor that can deter the crew from working). However, on the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain, he hired 6 more people and finished the project early. If the job was done in 100 days, how many days after day 60 had rain?


4
5
6
7
8


You can also look at this problem in terms of units of work.

10 people can finish the work in 110 days so there are 1100 units of work (1 unit done by 1 man in 1 day)
10 men worked for 55 days and did 10*55 = 550 units (since it rained for 5 days so day 56th to day 60th were all washed out). Now 550 units are left. [Mind you, it is an assumption that there was no rain in the first 55 days. Ideally, the question should have explicitly stated it.)

Now there are 16 people to do 550 units of work. Work will be done in 550/16 = 34.4 days i.e. 35 days are needed.
After 60th day, we have total 40 days. Out of these, 35 are needed so it must have rained on 5 days.



Thanks for letting kw the easy method.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 11:22
I thought of the problem in units of work. The total project needed 1100 units of work. 550 of these units were completed by the 55th day (10 x 55). It rained on the 56th, 57th, 58th, 59th, and 60th day. On the 61st day, the contractor hired 6 more laborers thus bringing the total laborer population to 16. With 550 units of work left, these 16 laborers should have completed the remaining work in 34.375 days.

Here's where I went wrong. I added 34.375 to 61 to bring total days needed (assuming no rain after the 60th) to 95.375 (essentially 96 days of work). However, this would imply only 4 days of rain since the project actually took 100 days to complete. I believe I went wrong in adding the 34.375 to 61 instead of 60 since by doing the former I didn't credit them for one day of work. Could someone confirm this?

Thank you.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 612
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 529 [0], given: 43

Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 11:42
Club909 wrote:
I thought of the problem in units of work. The total project needed 1100 units of work. 550 of these units were completed by the 55th day (10 x 55). It rained on the 56th, 57th, 58th, 59th, and 60th day. On the 61st day, the contractor hired 6 more laborers thus bringing the total laborer population to 16. With 550 units of work left, these 16 laborers should have completed the remaining work in 34.375 days.

Here's where I went wrong. I added 34.375 to 61 to bring total days needed (assuming no rain after the 60th) to 95.375 (essentially 96 days of work). However, this would imply only 4 days of rain since the project actually took 100 days to complete. I believe I went wrong in adding the 34.375 to 61 instead of 60 since by doing the former I didn't credit them for one day of work. Could someone confirm this?

Thank you.


You are right. You simply took away one work day. The 61st day of the project was a work day, in fact the first day when the extended team of 16 took over the job.
_________________

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5385 [0], given: 165

Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 18:19
Expert's post
Club909 wrote:
I thought of the problem in units of work. The total project needed 1100 units of work. 550 of these units were completed by the 55th day (10 x 55). It rained on the 56th, 57th, 58th, 59th, and 60th day. On the 61st day, the contractor hired 6 more laborers thus bringing the total laborer population to 16. With 550 units of work left, these 16 laborers should have completed the remaining work in 34.375 days.

Here's where I went wrong. I added 34.375 to 61 to bring total days needed (assuming no rain after the 60th) to 95.375 (essentially 96 days of work). However, this would imply only 4 days of rain since the project actually took 100 days to complete. I believe I went wrong in adding the 34.375 to 61 instead of 60 since by doing the former I didn't credit them for one day of work. Could someone confirm this?

Thank you.


Think of it this way: 60 days are accounted for. From the 61st day to the 100th day, there are 40 days. You need 35 of these to complete the work so you are left with 5 days.
When you add 35 to 61, you are saying that 61 days are accounted for but that is not the case.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Posts: 464
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 06:30
\frac{10}{m}=\frac{1}{110}
rate=\frac{1}{1100}

10 men worked for 60-5=55 days...

\frac{10}{1100}(55)=\frac{55}{110}=\frac{1}{2}

How many remaining days required to finish with 16 men?

\frac{16}{1100}(t)=1/2==> t=34.3 days is needed to finish the remaining work

To finish in 100 days or with the 40 days remaining, it should not rain for more than 5 days.

ANswer:B
_________________

Impossible is nothing to God.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
WE: Research (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 01:26
Bunuel wrote:
manalq8 wrote:
A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete the construction in 110 days if there was no rain. (Assume the crew does not work on any rainy day and rain is the only factor that can deter the crew from working). However, on the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain, he hired 6 more people and finished the project early. If the job was done in 100 days, how many days after day 60 had rain?

A. 4
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. 8


Given: 10-man crew needs 110 days to complete the construction.

"On the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain ..." --> as it was raining for 5 days then they must have bee working for 55 days thus completed 1/2 of the job, 1/2 is left (55 days of work for 10 men).

Then contractor "hired 6 more people" --> speed of construction increased 1.6 times, so the new 16-man crew needed 55/1.6=~34.4 days to complete the construction, but after they were hired job was done in 100-60=40 days --> so 5 days rained. (They needed MORE than 34 days to finish the job, so if it rained for 6 days they wouldn't be able to finish the job in 100(40) days.)

Answer: B.



Hi,

please tell me one thing:

Estimated time = 110 days
actual completed time = 100 days
no work days = 110-100 = 10 days
we are given only rain is a factor because of which no work will be done and it has already rained for 5 days before the 60th. thus 10-5 = 5 more days it will rain after the 60th

why do we have get into work and rates for this?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5385 [0], given: 165

Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 01:39
Expert's post
geezer0305 wrote:
Hi,

please tell me one thing:

Estimated time = 110 days
actual completed time = 100 days
no work days = 110-100 = 10 days
we are given only rain is a factor because of which no work will be done and it has already rained for 5 days before the 60th. thus 10-5 = 5 more days it will rain after the 60th

why do we have get into work and rates for this?


It took 100 days to complete the work instead of the estimated 110 because he employed 6 extra people, not because they did not work on those days. The workers actually worked for only 90 days. Out of the 100 days, it rained for 10 days and they worked for the rest of the 90 days. It is just a co-incidence that the extra workforce reduced the working days by 10, the same number of days for which it rained.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Location: United States
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Schools: INSEAD '14
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 11:09
Given 10 men took 110 days.
Total work = 1100 Man Days

Given on the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain, which means the 10 men worked for 55 days and completed:
55 X 10 = 550 Man Days of work.

Remaining work = 1100-550 = 550 Man Days of work.

Problem states that the work was completed early in 100 days by the 16 men.
Assume it rained on x days, so the work was completed in 40-x days
Hence , 16 (40-x)=550
or x ~ 5 days


Hi,
I wanted to understand if the above mentioned step in red is right.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5385 [0], given: 165

Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 22:49
Expert's post
chechaxo wrote:
Given 10 men took 110 days.
Total work = 1100 Man Days

Given on the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain, which means the 10 men worked for 55 days and completed:
55 X 10 = 550 Man Days of work.

Remaining work = 1100-550 = 550 Man Days of work.

Problem states that the work was completed early in 100 days by the 16 men.
Assume it rained on x days, so the work was completed in 40-x days
Hence , 16 (40-x)=550
or x ~ 5 days


Hi,
I wanted to understand if the above mentioned step in red is right.


Yes, but ensure that you understand how to deal with fractions.

16 (40-x)=550
40 - x = 34.375
x = 5.625
Now will you say it rained for 5 days or 6 days? Note that you will say that it rained for 5 days because the workers needed the extra .375 day to complete the work. If it were to rain on the 6th day too, the workers would not have been able to work on that day and hence the work would not be complete.
The fraction means that on the 100th day, the workers worked i.e. there was no rain but they worked for only a fraction of the day because the work got over.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2013, 22:49
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete t rtaha2412 7 08 Jan 2011, 11:20
4 Crew A can build a complete car in 20 minutes and Crew B can build a widerangeinput 19 17 Apr 2010, 04:27
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic A contractor estimated that his 10-men crew (m07q06) xALIx 19 12 Feb 2009, 19:45
From challenge x A contractor estimated that his 10-man Titleist 6 04 Nov 2005, 19:52
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.