Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A controversial program rewards prison inmates who behave

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A controversial program rewards prison inmates who behave [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2005, 18:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A controversial program rewards prison inmates who behave particularly well in prison by giving them the chance to receive free cosmetic plastic surgery performed by medical students. The program is obviously morally questionable, both in its assumptions about what inmates might want and in its use of the prison population to train future surgeons.
Putting these moral issues aside, however, the surgery clearly has a powerful rehabilitative effect as is shown by the fact that, among recipients of the surgery, the proportion who are convicted of new crimes committed after release is only half that for the prison population as a whole.

A flaw in the reasoning of the passage is that it

(A) allows moral issues to be a consideration in presenting evidence about matters of fact

(B) dismisses moral considerations on the grounds that only matters of fact are relevant

(C) labels the program as “controversialâ€
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR020311--prison inmate rewards [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2005, 18:36
I am between B and E. But prefer .....
(B) dismisses moral considerations on the grounds that only matters of fact are relevant
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR020311--prison inmate rewards [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2005, 22:05
MA wrote:
I am between B and E.

Same.. but I will choose (E)..

It will be representative when author will supply(among recepient of surgery):
number of convicted after release/total number of releases
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 04:59
E) the sample is not representative, becaue they may be already less willing to commit a crime before they did the plastic surgery
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 06:27
E
Because surgery receive only inmates who behave particularly well in prison we cannot conclude that this group is representative in terms of the following behaviour in life
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 07:43
I liked (E).

Actually (E) can mean two things

1. if the inmates were predisposed to not committing crimes after being released then the sample chosen does not prove anything. Infact it might make the case weak because those inmates were not truely rehabilitated.

2. On the otherhand if the sample had same attributes as the rest of the population then it is better to make the inmates undergo free cosmetic surgery.

(E) can either strengthen or weaken the case for rehabilitating the inmates
Since the author says that rehabilitating inmates through surgery is immoral he/she probably believes (or assumes ) that the inmates were predisposed to not committing crimes after being released.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 10:21
could someone explain what the title of the post mean (the figure 020311)? Is it the source of the question?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 17:58
thearch wrote:
could someone explain what the title of the post mean (the figure 020311)?

PM to chunjuwu.. He/She will tell u.. :lol: :lol:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 21:21
anandnk wrote:
I liked (E).

1. if the inmates were predisposed to not committing crimes after being released then the sample chosen does not prove anything. Infact it might make the case weak because those inmates were not truely rehabilitated.

2. On the otherhand if the sample had same attributes as the rest of the population then it is better to make the inmates undergo free cosmetic surgery.

Since the author says that rehabilitating inmates through surgery is immoral he/she probably believes (or assumes ) that the inmates were predisposed to not committing crimes after being released.

Right, because these inmates who received cosmetic plastic surgery behave particularly well in prison.

We cannot determine whether the major cause which makes these better-performanced inmates wouldn't commit new crimes is their predisposition or surgery.

However, I need more strong reason to refute B.

Because the author said the program is morally questionable, and then he said 'Putting these moral issues aside' right away. I think it's contradictory as said in B.

So, Why not B.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2005, 09:13
chunjuwu wrote:
anandnk wrote:
I liked (E).

Right, because these inmates who received cosmetic plastic surgery behave particularly well in prison.

We cannot determine whether the major cause which makes these better-performanced inmates wouldn't commit new crimes is their predisposition or surgery.

However, I need more strong reason to refute B.

Because the author said the program is morally questionable, and then he said 'Putting these moral issues aside' right away. I think it's contradictory as said in B.

So, Why not B.

Chunjuwu, actually there is a very strong reason to refute (B).

Let's see what (B) does:

"dismisses moral considerations on the grounds that only matters of fact are relevant "

Here it says 'on the grounds that only matters of fact are relevant". But can the findins limited to just one prison be a fact ? It cannot be, unless the study was done across all prisons in the country.

For instance,
"Based on the study in ywilfred gmat school, students who attended ywilfred's gmat prep course tend to fail gmat. Therefore, students who attend gmat prep courses are bound to fail". --> Applying a finding you made locally to a large group (turn it into a fact)
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2005, 10:11
Hi chunjuwu,

I dont think that the author dimissed moral considerations.
Something like saying

I hate cheese burgers because they make me fat. But I should mention that they are the tastiest burgers.

This does not mean I dont hate cheese burgers.

Cheers,
Anand.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2005, 12:38
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i am so excited.......
I got this one right !!!...
I have found the same way of reasoning, by looking at E.
were it sais that the subjects of the plastic surgery are already inmates who behave better, so the fact that they don't commit as many crimes as the rest, is not a good example because they are not a group of inmates not representative of the total population.

discipline is what I need.

[#permalink] 12 Mar 2005, 12:38