Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"A copy of bank statement with a minimum of $40,000 USD"

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

"A copy of bank statement with a minimum of $40,000 USD" [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 09:23
The following requirement of one foreign university:

Quote:
Additional Required Documents for International Applicants
· A copy of bank statement with a minimum of $40,000 USD
SEE: http://biz2.korea.ac.kr/academics/mba/global4.jsp?d1=3&d2=6&d3=4

Perhaps I'm reading this incorrectly, but am I correct to assume, that unless you have $40,000USD in the bank, you're automatically dinged from admissions?
I've been looking into foreign programs (East Asian) and this "show me your bank account" requirement appears to be common with most, if not all, of these universities.

To my knowledge, American schools don't have this requirement, so what's the story?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: "A copy of bank statement with a minimum of $40,000 USD" [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2010, 11:49
You really want to be one of these guys?:

I lived in Seoul for a bit- IMHO Seoul National University and Yonsei have more of an international reputation. I would think that the $40,000 requirement could either be waived given you live somewhere with relatively easy student financing- it's probably set up to discourage applicants without a hope of paying. Contact admissions.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: "A copy of bank statement with a minimum of $40,000 USD" [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2010, 12:37
cocoj wrote:
You really want to be one of these guys?:

I lived in Seoul for a bit- IMHO Seoul National University and Yonsei have more of an international reputation. I would think that the $40,000 requirement could either be waived given you live somewhere with relatively easy student financing- it's probably set up to discourage applicants without a hope of paying. Contact admissions.

To answer the first: No. I don't, haha.
I'm mostly interested in Global/International MBA programs, so thank you for the tip re: schools.
Re: bank account requirement: I can definitely understand it, but it's still a little shocking.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: "A copy of bank statement with a minimum of $40,000 USD" [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 07:01
That's quite absurd
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: "A copy of bank statement with a minimum of $40,000 USD" [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 07:33
Well, American unis may not require it so blatantly but the American immigration system /student visa system has the same "show me the money" requirement built in for foreign students coming to the us to study. You generally won't be able to come on a student visa to the us if you don't have liquid funds. While this requirement that you highlight does look funny, it's there in the us as well in a difft form.

Source of info: a prior masters deg from the us and associated visa process

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: "A copy of bank statement with a minimum of $40,000 USD"   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2010, 07:33