Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 473 [139]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: NUS '18 (I)
GRE 1: Q165 V156
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [21]
Given Kudos: 39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4543 [5]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [3]
Given Kudos: 616
Schools: Tepper '18
Send PM
Re: A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European U [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Vyshak wrote:
A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. - Correct - A country could keep ........... but it would..........

A country that keeps some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, but would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. - Incorrect - Changes the meaning

A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, like the one Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. - Incorrect - usage of 'like' is incorrect

A country could keep some of the advantages of the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. - Incorrect - usage of 'as' is incorrect

A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, and yet find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. - Incorrect - Usage of 'and' distorts the contrast

Answer: A

IMO the usage of 'it' in option A twice referring to different things is incorrect. This is extremely ambiguous. As you rightly pointed out option E is also incorrect for using 'and' but still i think it is better than A. Can you please explain?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4543 [0]
Send PM
Re: A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European U [#permalink]
MeghaP wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. - Correct - A country could keep ........... but it would..........

A country that keeps some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, but would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. - Incorrect - Changes the meaning

A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, like the one Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. - Incorrect - usage of 'like' is incorrect

A country could keep some of the advantages of the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. - Incorrect - usage of 'as' is incorrect

A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, and yet find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. - Incorrect - Usage of 'and' distorts the contrast

IMO the usage of 'it' in option A twice referring to different things is incorrect. This is extremely ambiguous. As you rightly pointed out option E is also incorrect for using 'and' but still i think it is better than A. Can you please explain?

The answer requires a contrast. So E cannot be the answer. In the colored portion the 1st 'it' logically refers to 'country' and the 2nd 'it' must logically refer to 'agreement'. A may not be a perfect answer choice, but it is the best possible answer choice.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [3]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Kudos
mukulgupta5 wrote:
A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.
A country that keeps some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, but would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.
A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, like the one Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.
A country could keep some of the advantages of the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.
A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has, and yet find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

look at d.
a country could keep as norway has
the latter part of ellipsis has an helping verb, the preceding part must have the same helping verb ,though it maybe is in different tense.
so, we have "has" in the latter part, we need "have, had" in the first part. no that word in the first part. D is wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
How exactly does the removal of the second 'it' change the meaning in B?

Thanks in advance!
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rs47 wrote:
How exactly does the removal of the second 'it' change the meaning in B?

Thanks in advance!

In "B" removal of "it" does not change the meaning, but replacement of "could" with "that" changes the meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 392
Send PM
Vyshak wrote:
MeghaP wrote:
Vyshak wrote:

The answer requires a contrast. So E cannot be the answer. In the colored portion the 1st 'it' logically refers to 'country' and the 2nd 'it' must logically refer to 'agreement'. A may not be a perfect answer choice, but it is the best possible answer choice.

In A
Is the second "it" not a 'Placeholder'?
Check this out: placeholder-it-111879.html
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
peekaysan wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
MeghaP wrote:

In A
Is the second "it" not a 'Placeholder'?
Check this out: placeholder-it-111879.html

Yes the second "it" is a placeholder for "to influence trade and competition policy".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Bookmarks
I have some confusion between A & C. A & C differ only in the use of "such as the one Norway has" and "like the one Norway has" . Could some please help me in identifying why "such as" is better suited here. I chose C as my answer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4543 [2]
Send PM
Kudos