Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2016, 02:46
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 442
Location: India
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 361 [3] , given: 14

A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 23:17
3
This post received
KUDOS
9
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

15% (02:22) correct 85% (01:39) wrong based on 453 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides of the larger cube are called A and B. What is the total number of smaller cubes?

(1) When n smaller cubes are painted on A, n is 1/9 of the total number of smaller cubes.
(2) When m smaller cubes are painted on B, m is 1/3 of the total number of smaller cubes
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Classroom and Online Coaching

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2010
Posts: 84
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 17

Re: A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2013, 02:13
This question does not make any sense. Could you please let us know the source of this question.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 442
Location: India
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 361 [1] , given: 14

Re: A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2013, 06:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides of the larger cube are called A and B. What is the total number of smaller cubes?

(1) When n smaller cubes are painted on A , n is 1/9 of the total number of smaller cubes.
(2) When m smaller cubes are painted on B, m is 1/3 of the total number of smaller cubes



Fact 1: When a cube is made of equal smaller cubes, the number of smaller cubes is \(r^3\) where r is natural number.

Fact 2: Out of the six sides of the bigger cube, we are considering two sides and have named them A and B resp.

Statement 1: when on side A, n smaller cubes are painted we have that value of n equal to 1/9 of the total number of smaller cubes. So n is divisible by 9. Or the number of smaller cubes is a multiple of 9. Statement is not sufficient to answer the question because for example both 27 smaller cubes and 729 smaller cubes satisfy the conditions that the number of smaller cubes is a multiple of 9 and satisfies fact 1.

Statement 2: In this case the number of smaller cubes is a multiple of 3. The number of smaller cubes cannot be greater than \(3^3\) based on this statement alone.

Assume first the number of smaller cubes which is a multiple of 3 and satisfies fact 1, is 27. In this case each side has 9 smaller cubes exposed. If the number of smaller cubes painted, which is m, is 9.we have m =1/3 of the number of smaller cubes.

Assume next the the number of smaller cubes which is a multiple of 3 and satisfies fact 1, is 216. In this case each side has 36 smaller cubes exposed. So you could paint a maximum of 36 smaller cubes. Thus maximum value of m is 36/216 = 1/6 which cannot be equal to 1/3.

For higher multiples of 3, the value of m would keep on decreasing and would never satisfy the conditions mentioned.

Thus statement 2 alone is sufficient to answer this question.

Therefore answer is choice B.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Classroom and Online Coaching


Last edited by SravnaTestPrep on 25 Sep 2013, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2013, 11:04
Just to double check, isn't the number of smaller cubes within a larger cube \(r^3\)not \(r^r\)?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 442
Location: India
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 361 [0], given: 14

Re: A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2013, 16:55
nphilli1 wrote:
Just to double check, isn't the number of smaller cubes within a larger cube \(r^3\)not \(r^r\)?


You are right. Made the correction.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Classroom and Online Coaching

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 70
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 38

Re: A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2014, 05:45
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides of the larger cube are called A and B. What is the total number of smaller cubes?

(1) When n smaller cubes are painted on A , n is 1/9 of the total number of smaller cubes.
(2) When m smaller cubes are painted on B, m is 1/3 of the total number of smaller cubes



Fact 1: When a cube is made of equal smaller cubes, the number of smaller cubes is \(r^3\) where r is natural number.

Fact 2: Out of the six sides of the bigger cube, we are considering two sides and have named them A and B resp.

Statement 1: when on side A, n smaller cubes are painted we have that value of n equal to 1/9 of the total number of smaller cubes. So n is divisible by 9. Or the number of smaller cubes is a multiple of 9. Statement is not sufficient to answer the question because for example both 27 smaller cubes and 729 smaller cubes satisfy the conditions that the number of smaller cubes is a multiple of 9 and satisfies fact 1.

Statement 2: In this case the number of smaller cubes is a multiple of 3. The number of smaller cubes cannot be greater than \(3^3\) based on this statement alone.

Assume first the number of smaller cubes which is a multiple of 3 and satisfies fact 1, is 27. In this case each side has 9 smaller cubes exposed. If the number of smaller cubes painted, which is m, is 9.we have m =1/3 of the number of smaller cubes.

Assume next the the number of smaller cubes which is a multiple of 3 and satisfies fact 1, is 216. In this case each side has 36 smaller cubes exposed. So you could paint a maximum of 36 smaller cubes. Thus maximum value of m is 36/216 = 1/6 which cannot be equal to 1/3.

For higher multiples of 3, the value of m would keep on decreasing and would never satisfy the conditions mentioned.

Thus statement 2 alone is sufficient to answer this question.

Therefore answer is choice B.


Sorry to point this out but something here is leading to confusion.

First of all if n is the total number of smaller cubes then each surface would have n/6 cubes exposed. This is what I derive from the green highlighted text where it says if 216 is total number of cubes then each surface would have 36 exposed which means we are doing 216/6= 36

By the same logic if 27 is the total number of smaller cubes then each side should have 27/6 number of cubes exposed which means 4.5cubes.
so you can paint a maximum of 4.5 cubes.

(So how come you say that for 27 total number of smaller cubes each side would have 9 cubes exposed?shouldn't it be 27/6 as you did for 216/6)

by your logic
4.5/27= 1/6 , this is what we were getting for 216 cubes too!, so we cannot have 1/3 hence it seems that even 27 total smaller cubes is not a possibility.

Please let me know if I have not understood something.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2014
Posts: 129
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

Re: A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2014, 18:37
I am confused.

Quote:
Assume first the number of smaller cubes which is a multiple of 3 and satisfies fact 1, is 27. In this case each side has 9 smaller cubes exposed. If the number of smaller cubes painted, which is m, is 9.we have m =1/3 of the number of smaller cubes.

Assume next the the number of smaller cubes which is a multiple of 3 and satisfies fact 1, is 216. In this case each side has 36 smaller cubes exposed. So you could paint a maximum of 36 smaller cubes. Thus maximum value of m is 36/216 = 1/6 which cannot be equal to 1/3.


It seems like both Statement 1 and 2 can satisfy the relationship.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 70
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 38

Re: A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2014, 07:40
1
This post received
KUDOS
pretzel wrote:
I am confused.

Quote:
Assume first the number of smaller cubes which is a multiple of 3 and satisfies fact 1, is 27. In this case each side has 9 smaller cubes exposed. If the number of smaller cubes painted, which is m, is 9.we have m =1/3 of the number of smaller cubes.

Assume next the the number of smaller cubes which is a multiple of 3 and satisfies fact 1, is 216. In this case each side has 36 smaller cubes exposed. So you could paint a maximum of 36 smaller cubes. Thus maximum value of m is 36/216 = 1/6 which cannot be equal to 1/3.


It seems like both Statement 1 and 2 can satisfy the relationship.


if i am not mistaken , question may be flawed as I have tried to show above. check this :
a-cube-is-made-up-of-equal-smaller-cubes-two-of-the-sides-149440.html#p1369419

Let me know if you see any discrepancies in my explanation.
Thanks
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2015
Posts: 16
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GRE 1: 1410 Q760 V650
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [2] , given: 3

A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2015, 14:51
2
This post received
KUDOS
I solved this problem differently.
We are trying to solve for \(x{^3}\), the number of smaller cubes that compose the larger cube.

1) On Surface A we paint n cubes where n = \(\frac{1}{9}x{^3}\). We also know that on any surface there \(x{^2}\) cubes so the maximum number of cubes we can paint is \(x{^2}\). This means n = \(\frac{1}{9}x{^3}\le{x{^2}}\) => \(x\le{9}\). Since n is an integer we know that \(x{^3}\)must be a multiple of 9. Therefore x=3 OR x=6 OR x = 9. Insufficient.

2) Using the same math as before we get \(x\le{3}\) with \(x{^3}\) a multiple of 3 to meet the requirement that n is an integer. The only options we have for x are 1, 2, 3. Only x = 3 gives a multiple of 3. Sufficient.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 11141
Followers: 511

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2016, 11:43
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides   [#permalink] 26 May 2016, 11:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic What is the length of a side of a certain cube? Bunuel 1 25 Jul 2016, 10:16
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Q is a cube. Find the volume of the cube. Bunuel 6 24 Feb 2015, 08:00
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic A certain cube is composed of 1000 smaller cubes, arranged 1 mohnish104 5 30 Nov 2013, 05:02
16 Experts publish their posts in the topic Jean puts N identical cubes, the sides of which are 1 inch carcass 8 03 Sep 2012, 02:16
22 Experts publish their posts in the topic What is the absolute difference between the cubes of two Smita04 19 15 Mar 2012, 23:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.