Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [27]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618768 [11]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618768 [2]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Re: A cube marked 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 on its six faces. Three [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jayadevricky wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
apoorvasrivastva wrote:
A cube marked 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 on its six faces. Three colors, red, blue, and green are used to paint the six faces of the cube. If the adjacent faces are painted with the different colors, in how many ways can the cube be painted?

(A) 3
(B) 6
(C) 8
(D) 12
(E) 27

If the base of the cube is red, then in order the adjacent faces to be painted with the different colors, the top must also be red. 4 side faces can be painted in Green-Blue-Green-Blue OR Blue-Green-Blue-Green (2 options).

But we can have the base painted in either of the three colors, thus the total number of ways to paint the cube is 3*2=6.

Answer: B.

Dear Bunuel
With the top and base of the cube being red, whether 4 side faces are Green-Blue-Green-Blue OR Blue-Green-Blue-Green (2 options) it should not matter because using the top and base as the axis, we can rotate Green-Blue-Green-Blue[i] to be [i]Blue-Green-Blue-Green right?

So according to the solution, why there are 2 distinct options?
Those 2 options should be counted as 1 because it can be rotated.

Please shed some light
Thank you!

The point is that the faces are numbered. Let me rephrase the solution. Say face #1 is painted red, then the opposite face (say it's numbered 6) should also be red. Faces, 2, 3, 4, and 5, should be Green-Blue-Green-Blue OR Blue-Green-Blue-Green. There is a difference between these two options because Green=2, Blue=3, Green=4, Blue=5 is different from Blue=2, Green=3, Blue=4, Green=5.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V22 GMAT 2: 700  Q50  V35
Send PM
Re: Permutations Again :) [#permalink]
Kudos
apoorvasrivastva wrote:
A cube marked 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 on its six faces. Three colors, red, blue, and green are used to
paint the six faces of the cube. If the adjacent faces are painted with the different colors, in how many
ways can the cube be painted?
(A) 3
(B) 6
(C) 8
(D) 12
(E) 27

OA is

Am I missing some thing here?

Any one side of the cube will be having 4 sides which can be termed as adjacent.. Isn't it ? Say for e.g side A it will be having 4 sides adjacent to it, one on left, one on right, one above and one below.

Please correct me if I am assuming this wrong..!

thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi varotkorn,

YES - if there was nothing distinguishing the 6 sides of the cube (in the original prompt, the numbers distinguish the sides) AND we were asked to paint with only 3 colors AND if no two adjacent sides could be the same color, then there would be just ONE way to paint the cube. The 'orientation' of the cube would not be a factor, since any of the sides could the top/bottom, left/right and front/back sides. However, the moment the individual 6 sides DO become relevant, then the answer would change.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
apoorvasrivastva wrote:
A cube marked 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 on its six faces. Three colors, red, blue, and green are used to paint the six faces of the cube. If the adjacent faces are painted with the different colors, in how many ways can the cube be painted?

(A) 3
(B) 6
(C) 8
(D) 12
(E) 27

If the base of the cube is red, then in order the adjacent faces to be painted with the different colors, the top must also be red. 4 side faces can be painted in Green-Blue-Green-Blue OR Blue-Green-Blue-Green (2 options).

But we can have the base painted in either of the three colors, thus the total number of ways to paint the cube is 3*2=6.

Answer: B.

Dear Bunuel
With the top and base of the cube being red, whether 4 side faces are Green-Blue-Green-Blue OR Blue-Green-Blue-Green (2 options) it should not matter because using the top and base as the axis, we can rotate Green-Blue-Green-Blue[i] to be [i]Blue-Green-Blue-Green right?

So according to the solution, why there are 2 distinct options?
Those 2 options should be counted as 1 because it can be rotated.

Please shed some light
Thank you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
A cube marked 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 on its six faces. Three [#permalink]
Dear Bunuel VeritasKarishma EMPOWERgmatRichC

I have one follow-up question from the reply above:

If the same question is asked but this time the cube is NOT marked, there will be only ONE way in which we can paint the cube right?
(The way is that each of the 2 opposite sides is of the same color. And however we paint it, we could rotate the cube so that it is still the same coloring.)

Thank you in advance!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts