Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 549
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 06:26
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (02:14) correct 36% (01:33) wrong based on 72 sessions
A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 cubic centimer cubes, how many 1 cubic centimeter cubes will have exactly one of their sides painted?

A. 9
B. 61
C. 98
D. 54
E. 64
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2007
Posts: 212
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 06:31
trahul4 wrote:
A 5 cubic centimeter cube is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 cubic centimer cubes, how many 1 cubic centimeter cubes will have exactly one of their sides painted?

A. 9
B. 61
C. 98
D. 54
E. 64


D. 6*9=54. A cube has 6 sides, each of which has 9 cubes with one sides painted.
32223
21112
21112
21112
32223
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 349
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 06:33
trahul4 wrote:
A 5 cubic centimeter cube is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 cubic centimer cubes, how many 1 cubic centimeter cubes will have exactly one of their sides painted?

A. 9
B. 61
C. 98
D. 54
E. 64


9 such cubes for each of the 6 surfaces = 9 * 6 = 54 cubes. (D)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 07:26
Dear Wudy and Sumande

Please make the solution more clear.

First I don't understand how to get integer from 5 ^ 1/3 to get dimension of cube.

Also if you're talking about 9 cubes for every surface (3 x 3 x 3) and we're looknig for cubes with exactly one side painted that the solution is 6. One middle cube has only one painted side on every surface.
Or I didn't undertand the condition. Please explain.

Thank you in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 374
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 08:49
trahul4 wrote:
A 5 cubic centimeter cube is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 cubic centimer cubes, how many 1 cubic centimeter cubes will have exactly one of their sides painted?

A. 9
B. 61
C. 98
D. 54
E. 64


are you sure it's a 5 cubic centimeter cube or is it a 5 cubic metre cube?? there should be five 1 cubic centimeter cubes when a 5 cubic centimeter cube is cut up
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2007
Posts: 212
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 09:38
Andrey2010 wrote:
Dear Wudy and Sumande

Please make the solution more clear.

First I don't understand how to get integer from 5 ^ 1/3 to get dimension of cube.

Also if you're talking about 9 cubes for every surface (3 x 3 x 3) and we're looknig for cubes with exactly one side painted that the solution is 6. One middle cube has only one painted side on every surface.
Or I didn't undertand the condition. Please explain.

Thank you in advance.


Well. I though the cube is 5*5*5 centimeter, or the question does not make sense-- how a 5 cubic centimeter cube is divided into 1 cubic centimeter cube?

The number listed above is how many faces painted for each 1cm*1cm cube on a surface.
32223
21112
21112
21112
32223
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 349
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 09:46
wudy wrote:
Andrey2010 wrote:
Dear Wudy and Sumande

Please make the solution more clear.

First I don't understand how to get integer from 5 ^ 1/3 to get dimension of cube.

Also if you're talking about 9 cubes for every surface (3 x 3 x 3) and we're looknig for cubes with exactly one side painted that the solution is 6. One middle cube has only one painted side on every surface.
Or I didn't undertand the condition. Please explain.

Thank you in advance.


Well. I though the cube is 5*5*5 centimeter, or the question does not make sense-- how a 5 cubic centimeter cube is divided into 1 cubic centimeter cube?

The number listed above is how many faces painted for each 1cm*1cm cube on a surface.
32223
21112
21112
21112
32223


My assumption was exactly the same. I didn't think that a cube of side 5^(1/3) cm being divided into 1 cubic centimeter cubes makes sense. So, I assumed that each of the sides of the cube was 5 cm (a 5 cm cube as opposed to 5 cubic centimeter).
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 299
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 21:19
1
This post received
KUDOS
There is another way to do this problem. We know that all of the squares on each side have 2 sides (or 3 sides) painted. we want to remove them.

Make a new square which represents all of these squares. 5-2(one inch from each edge)=3

3.3=9 squares on each side.

9.6 sides is 54 squares
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 2837
Followers: 207

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2014, 16:54
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23398
Followers: 3611

Kudos [?]: 28861 [1] , given: 2854

Re: A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2014, 00:55
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
trahul4 wrote:
A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 cubic centimer cubes, how many 1 cubic centimeter cubes will have exactly one of their sides painted?

A. 9
B. 61
C. 98
D. 54
E. 64


Look at the image below:
Image
Little cubes with exactly one painted side will be those 3*3=9, which are in the center of each face. (6 faces)*(9 per each) = 54.

Answer: D.

Similar questions to practice:
the-entire-exterior-of-a-large-wooden-cube-is-painted-red-155955.html
a-big-cube-is-formed-by-rearranging-the-160-coloured-and-99424.html
64-small-identical-cubes-are-used-to-form-a-large-cube-151009.html
a-wooden-cube-whose-edge-length-is-10-inches-is-composed-of-162570.html
if-a-4-cm-cube-is-cut-into-1-cm-cubes-then-what-is-the-107843.html
a-large-cube-consists-of-125-identical-small-cubes-how-110256.html

3-D Geometry Questions to practice: 3-d-geometry-questions-171024.html
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests
A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2014, 20:14
Bunuel wrote:
trahul4 wrote:
A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 cubic centimer cubes, how many 1 cubic centimeter cubes will have exactly one of their sides painted?

A. 9
B. 61
C. 98
D. 54
E. 64


Look at the image below:
Image
Little cubes with exactly one painted side will be those 3*3=9, which are in the center of each face. (6 faces)*(9 per each) = 54.

Answer: D.


Similar questions to practice:
the-entire-exterior-of-a-large-wooden-cube-is-painted-red-155955.html
a-big-cube-is-formed-by-rearranging-the-160-coloured-and-99424.html
64-small-identical-cubes-are-used-to-form-a-large-cube-151009.html
a-wooden-cube-whose-edge-length-is-10-inches-is-composed-of-162570.html
if-a-4-cm-cube-is-cut-into-1-cm-cubes-then-what-is-the-107843.html
a-large-cube-consists-of-125-identical-small-cubes-how-110256.html

3-D Geometry Questions to practice: 3-d-geometry-questions-171024.html




Hi Bunuel, When u show the image then i can quickly make out the answer and it gets very easy but this kind of 3-D accurate figure cant be drawn on paper and difficult to be thought in mind within 2 minutes. What should be done??

What is the best way to solve such questions?
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1088
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 305 [1] , given: 170

Re: A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2014, 21:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
snehamd1309 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
trahul4 wrote:
A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 cubic centimer cubes, how many 1 cubic centimeter cubes will have exactly one of their sides painted?

A. 9
B. 61
C. 98
D. 54
E. 64


Look at the image below:
Little cubes with exactly one painted side will be those 3*3=9, which are in the center of each face. (6 faces)*(9 per each) = 54.

Answer: D.



Hi Bunuel, When u show the image then i can quickly make out the answer and it gets very easy but this kind of 3-D accurate figure cant be drawn on paper and difficult to be thought in mind within 2 minutes. What should be done??

What is the best way to solve such questions?


Not Bunuel, but lets try.. :)

Refer diagram below; just imagine one side of the cube
Attachment:
cube.png
cube.png [ 1010 Bytes | Viewed 453 times ]

It will have 5 * 5 = 25 squares of 1 units

The border (the corner squares) will always be 2 side painted, so remaining are the pink shaded squares

There calculation per side = (5-2) * (5-2) = 3*3 = 9
(Two rows & two Columns are to be subtracted)

Total 6 sides = 9*6 = 54

Answer = 54
_________________

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2014, 02:14
Shouldn't it ask " A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its faces"
Re: A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2014, 02:14
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic A cube with its sides numbered 1 through 6 is rolled twice qtrip 6 28 Apr 2012, 05:33
Experts publish their posts in the topic A cube of side 5 cm is painted on all its sides . If it is s abhi47 4 31 Jan 2012, 17:03
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic A cube of side 5cm is painted on all of its sides. If it is restore 10 01 Aug 2011, 07:23
Experts publish their posts in the topic A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is Ravshonbek 2 17 Nov 2007, 15:23
A 5 cubic centimeter cube is painted on all its side. If it karlfurt 7 21 Sep 2006, 07:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A cube of side 5cm is painted on all its side. If it is sliced into 1

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.