Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 06:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A cup of raw milk, after being heated in a microwave oven to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
A cup of raw milk, after being heated in a microwave oven to [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 04:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (02:30) correct 16% (01:03) wrong based on 12 sessions
A cup of raw milk, after being heated in a microwave oven to 50 degrees Celsius, contains half its initial concentration of a particular enzyme, lysozyme. If, however, the milk reaches that temperature through exposure to a conventional heat source of 50 degrees Celsius, it will contain nearly all of its initial concentration of the enzyme. Therefore, what destroys the enzyme is not heat but microwaves, which generate heat.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously
weakens the argument?

(A) Heating raw milk in a microwave oven to a
temperature of 100 degrees Celsius destroys
nearly all of the lysozyme initially present in
that milk.

(B) Enzymes in raw milk that are destroyed through
excessive heating can be replaced by adding
enzymes that have been extracted from other
sources.

(C) A liquid exposed to a conventional heat source
of exactly 50 degrees Celsius will reach that
temperature more slowly than it would if it
were exposed to a conventional heat source
hotter than 50 degrees Celsius.

(D) Milk that has been heated in a microwave oven
does not taste noticeably different from milk
that has been briefly heated by exposure to a
conventional heat source.

(E) Heating any liquid by microwave creates small
zones within it that are much hotter than the
overall temperature that the liquid will
ultimately reach.

OA, after discussion

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: A cup of raw milk, after being heated in a microwave oven... [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 04:40
This post received
KUDOS
vomhorizon wrote:
A cup of raw milk, after being heated in a microwave oven to 50 degrees Celsius, contains half its initial concentration of a particular enzyme, lysozyme. If, however, the milk reaches that temperature through exposure to a conventional heat source of 50 degrees Celsius, it will contain nearly all of its initial concentration of the enzyme. Therefore, what destroys the enzyme is not heat but microwaves, which generate heat.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously
weakens the argument?

that milk.

sources.

ultimately reach.

OA, after discussion

OA has to be E.

that milk.

- WORNG because it still doesn't show that the heat, not the microwaves, is killing the bacterium.

sources.

So? This is irrelevant to the argument.

this bring out wrong comparison.

taste is irrelevant to the argument.

ultimately reach.

PREFECT.
this weakens the link between the premise and conclusion.
Author's argument depends on the fact that even the conventional heat method reaches same 50 D but no germs are killed so microwaves generated in the Microwave is destroying germs. This option E shows that heat generated in the MW is more than 50 D making this comparisons invalid and the argument.

Im starting to like LSAT CRs :twisted:

Kudos,if my posts helped.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: A cup of raw milk, after being heated in a microwave oven... [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 04:47
Quote:
Author's argument depends on the fact that even the conventional heat method reaches same 50 D but no germs are killed so microwaves generated in the Microwave is destroying germs.

This is exactly what the ANSWER CHOICE HINGES ON..Anyone who can pick this up from the Question stem (and the choices) will never confuse this answer choice with any other..

Quote:
Im starting to like LSAT CRs

They are quite similar to GMAT CR's just a bit tougher (what makes them BRUTAL is that the LSAT test takers are expected to solve each question in about 80 seconds).. I feel that no prep company quite replicates the subtle variations in answer choices the way the GMAT test makers do, and LSAT CR's are very similar.. I know of quite a few LSAT test takers who start practicing GMAT CR, after they have exhausted the nearly infinite Logical Reasoning questions LSAC puts out :-)

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: A cup of raw milk, after being heated in a microwave oven... [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 05:17
vomhorizon wrote:
Quote:
Author's argument depends on the fact that even the conventional heat method reaches same 50 D but no germs are killed so microwaves generated in the Microwave is destroying germs.

This is exactly what the ANSWER CHOICE HINGES ON..Anyone who can pick this up from the Question stem (and the choices) will never confuse this answer choice with any other..

Quote:
Im starting to like LSAT CRs

They are quite similar to GMAT CR's just a bit tougher (what makes them BRUTAL is that the LSAT test takers are expected to solve each question in about 80 seconds).. I feel that no prep company quite replicates the subtle variations in answer choices the way the GMAT test makers do, and LSAT CR's are very similar.. I know of quite a few LSAT test takers who start practicing GMAT CR, after they have exhausted the nearly infinite Logical Reasoning questions LSAC puts out :-)

I cannot agree with you more than sir. If we nail each one of these in LAST timings then GMAT CRs are going to be cakewalk, But IMO that would require lots n lots of work put only in verbal. we, unlike LASTer, have to deal with Quants also. I hate those "already GOOD at QUANTs" guys (just kidding :-D "

Cheers
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: A cup of raw milk, after being heated in a microwave oven... [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 05:36
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
I cannot agree with you more than sir. If we nail each one of these in LAST timings then GMAT CRs are going to be cakewalk, But IMO that would require lots n lots of work put only in verbal. we, unlike LASTer, have to deal with Quants also. I hate those "already GOOD at QUANTs" guys (just kidding

I hate them too ;) , but i guess it would not be unreasonable to expect a guy coming from an engineering or business background to find Quant a cake walk. I am a MD, and have not touched quant in almost a decade, so for me it was PAIN in the last 2 months, and i have only reached a 44 on GMAT PREP ( another couple of months to go before i cross 47).. But for people like me Boosting Verbal is another way to take the overall score beyond 700 ( say take V to 40 or beyond, then i would only need Q46 to hit the 700 mark) especially if one finds Verbal concepts not all that challenging.

Today I took three extremely brutal LSAT reasoning sections timed (25 questions per section), and managed to average 39 minutes a section (LSAC gives 35 minutes a section) and my overall accuracy was around 85% (95% for the first 14 questions on each section which many experts consider more realistic GMAT difficulty)..That has done wonders for me, and i think i have improved my CR level after reading the text book for the second time and going up against LSAT sets...I hit LSAT RC's next :-) .. Before hitting the grammar and SC books HARD to boost up my SC (Before i started CR prep i was in the 75th percentile in Verbal) ..

Re: A cup of raw milk, after being heated in a microwave oven...   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2012, 05:36