Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
, given: 3
A curious situation - would appreciate all insight! [#permalink]
19 Nov 2012, 20:32
I'm not sure if I fit the nature of the typical B-School applicant, but I would appreciate all insight.
1) Basic demographic info: 24, male, Canadian (Persian) - looking to apply in the next two years.
2) Educational Background:
THIS is where things get interesting. For whatever reason (call it lack of maturity - there are other reasons but no need for excuses.) I had a terrible first half of undergraduate study. I essentially wrote mid terms and exams, and that was the extent of my involvement in school. By some grace, I managed to remain in school until I smartened up. (reading books cover to cover in less than 10 hours is now my specialty). My last 2 years however were much better, with my last year the best. I was also on Dean's list for 3 consecutive semesters.
School: ARWU World (201 - 300), Top 10 in Canada, Top 3 Comprehensive nationwide
Degree: Bachelor of Commerce, Major: Marketing Management
GPA: 70% (2.75 out of a 4.0 scale) overall, 81.5% (3.58) second half of studies (year 3 and 4), 85.1% (3.82) last year of studies. I think the main question here is, will there be more bias towards the latter half of my studies (the last two years I essentially had Marketing, Finance, and Strategy classes. My school uses the case format to teach the last two years.) Or will I be penalized for messing around whole taking all the introductory and elective classes out of the way?
GMAT: beginning to work towards it now, but assume a 680 to 710 (Should I aim higher to offset the GPA here? Can I make up for the GPA?)
3) Work experience: 2 years. Currently I handle Business Development for Western Canada, and all Marketing duties for the country. Firm I work in is a global engineering/manufacturing firm with 32 office locations world wide and 12 manufacturing centres around the world. The president has discussed that I move into a Marketing role - solely - within the next year or two, and let go of the business development duties. My first job out of school was as a Marketing Researcher at a think tank of sorts (conference production, reports, so on and so forth), and I was promoted to a Marketing Project Manager position within 2 months.
4) Extracurriculars: Marketing Society during undergrad. Feel the need to step this up.
5) Short/Long term goals: Europe/North America/Asia. I would like to stay within the Marketing Field. Branding and campaign development are my passion. Working for consumer facing brand in the short and intermediate term (Brand Manager --> Director --> CMO/VP (one can dream)) and a long term goal of starting an Agency later on in my life.
6) Schools: Would love your recommendations here. What should I shoot for as someone who wants an MBA with a major in Marketing. What are my long shots, targets, and safeties. North America/Europe/Asia are all in play. (with more of a bias towards NA and Europe). For example, is Kellogg way out of my league? Would Kelly be a target I should look at? Are there any schools renowned in Marketing that I should be targeting?