Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Sep 2016, 09:02
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in orde

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 419
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 1213 [4] , given: 289

A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in orde [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2014, 16:07
4
This post received
KUDOS
20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

26% (02:31) correct 74% (01:48) wrong based on 363 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in order to pass each section. Did Jennifer pass the 30-question third section?

(1) Jennifer recorded 8 more correct answers on the second half of the third section than she did on the first half of the third section.
(2) Jennifer answered one more question correctly on the third section than she did on the 28-question second section, which she passed.

Hi, can anyone explain how this question works, please. I am not fully convinced with the answer.

OE:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(1): Fact that if there are only 30 questions total, then there are only 15 questions per half section. That means the MOST she could get right on the second half is 15, and since the second half had 8 more right answers than the first, the most she could have gotten right on the first half is 7 for a total maximum of 22 questions correct. Since she needs 75% to pass, and 22/30 is less than 75% (75% is 3/4 which would be 22.5 out of 30), she cannot pass.
Answer is "no”
Sufficient

(2): Insufficient. If she passed the second section, that means she answered at least 21 questions correctly, meaning that she answered at least 22 correctly (one more than she did on section two) on section three. But since the magic number is 22.5 to have 75% correct, she may not have passed (22) or she may have passed (22 is the minimum, but she could theoretically have gotten as many as 29 right), Insufficient
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2014
Posts: 129
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

Re: dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in order [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2014, 18:58
I agree with the explanation for number (2) - maximum correct 28 questions, minimum correct 21 questions.

But I disagree with the explanation for (1). Is it true that whenever there an exam is split into two sections you would have an equal number of questions in each halves? Then again, if the examinee only answered one question correctly in the first half and and nine questions on the second half, he would not have passed the third section.
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 34862
Followers: 6484

Kudos [?]: 82676 [5] , given: 10116

Re: dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in order [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2014, 02:36
5
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
pretzel wrote:
I agree with the explanation for number (2) - maximum correct 28 questions, minimum correct 21 questions.

But I disagree with the explanation for (1). Is it true that whenever there an exam is split into two sections you would have an equal number of questions in each halves? Then again, if the examinee only answered one question correctly in the first half and and nine questions on the second half, he would not have passed the third section.


We are told that Jennifer recorded 8 more correct answers on the second half of the third section than she did on the first half of the third section. So, she recorded 8 more correct answers on the first 15 questions, than she did on the second 15 questions.

A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in order to pass each section. Did Jennifer pass the 30-question third section?

For Jenifer to pass the section must answer at least 3/4*30 = 22.5, so at least 23 questions correct.

(1) Jennifer recorded 8 more correct answers on the second half of the third section than she did on the first half of the third section.

Even if Jenifer answered all 15 questions correctly on the second half and 15-8=7 questions correctly on the first half, she would only get 15+7=22 questions correctly, which is still less than minimum required (23). Thus, she did not pass the section. Sufficient.

(2) Jennifer answered one more question correctly on the third section than she did on the 28-question second section, which she passed.

For Jenifer to pass the second section must have answered at least 3/4*28=21 questions correctly there. Thus she answered at least 21+1=22 questions correctly on the third section, therefore she may or may not have passed the third section. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2014
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in orde [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2014, 19:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
The condition for passing the test is based on 75% score, not the number of questions. Hence, the answer should ideally be 'E' unless it is mentioned that "each question carries equal weightage in the score.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2014
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 17

A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in orde [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 23:02
Bunuel,

How did you get "Thus she answered at least 21+1=22 questions correctly from "Jennifer answered one more question correctly on the third section than she did on the 28-question second section, which she passed"?


Bunuel wrote:
pretzel wrote:
I agree with the explanation for number (2) - maximum correct 28 questions, minimum correct 21 questions.

But I disagree with the explanation for (1). Is it true that whenever there an exam is split into two sections you would have an equal number of questions in each halves? Then again, if the examinee only answered one question correctly in the first half and and nine questions on the second half, he would not have passed the third section.


We are told that Jennifer recorded 8 more correct answers on the second half of the third section than she did on the first half of the third section. So, she recorded 8 more correct answers on the first 15 questions, than she did on the second 15 questions.

A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in order to pass each section. Did Jennifer pass the 30-question third section?

For Jenifer to pass the section must answer at least 3/4*30 = 22.5, so at least 23 questions correct.

(1) Jennifer recorded 8 more correct answers on the second half of the third section than she did on the first half of the third section.

Even if Jenifer answered all 15 questions correctly on the second half and 15-8=7 questions correctly on the first half, she would only get 15+7=22 questions correctly, which is still less than minimum required (23). Thus, she did not pass the section. Sufficient.

(2) Jennifer answered one more question correctly on the third section than she did on the 28-question second section, which she passed.

For Jenifer to pass the second section must have answered at least 3/4*28=21 questions correctly there. Thus she answered at least 21+1=22 questions correctly on the third section, therefore she may or may not have passed the third section. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 34862
Followers: 6484

Kudos [?]: 82676 [0], given: 10116

Re: A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in orde [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2014, 01:12
ApoorvaRed9 wrote:
Bunuel,

How did you get "Thus she answered at least 21+1=22 questions correctly from "Jennifer answered one more question correctly on the third section than she did on the 28-question second section, which she passed"?


Bunuel wrote:
pretzel wrote:
I agree with the explanation for number (2) - maximum correct 28 questions, minimum correct 21 questions.

But I disagree with the explanation for (1). Is it true that whenever there an exam is split into two sections you would have an equal number of questions in each halves? Then again, if the examinee only answered one question correctly in the first half and and nine questions on the second half, he would not have passed the third section.


We are told that Jennifer recorded 8 more correct answers on the second half of the third section than she did on the first half of the third section. So, she recorded 8 more correct answers on the first 15 questions, than she did on the second 15 questions.

A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in order to pass each section. Did Jennifer pass the 30-question third section?

For Jenifer to pass the section must answer at least 3/4*30 = 22.5, so at least 23 questions correct.

(1) Jennifer recorded 8 more correct answers on the second half of the third section than she did on the first half of the third section.

Even if Jenifer answered all 15 questions correctly on the second half and 15-8=7 questions correctly on the first half, she would only get 15+7=22 questions correctly, which is still less than minimum required (23). Thus, she did not pass the section. Sufficient.

(2) Jennifer answered one more question correctly on the third section than she did on the 28-question second section, which she passed.

For Jenifer to pass the second section must have answered at least 3/4*28=21 questions correctly there. Thus she answered at least 21+1=22 questions correctly on the third section, therefore she may or may not have passed the third section. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.


We are told that she passed 28-question second section, thus she answered at least 0.75*28 = 21 questions on the second section.

We are also told that she answered one more question correctly on the third section than she did on second section, thus she answered at least 21 + 1 = 22 questions on the third section.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Posts: 70
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 64

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in orde [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 11:29
Hi Bunuel,

Regarding option B:

(2) Jennifer answered one more question correctly on the third section than she did on the 28-question second section, which she passed.

When it is clearly mentioned that Jennifer answered one more question correctly, then why we are assuming that AT LEAST 22 questions were answered correctly.

Should it not only be 22 questions (21+1 =22), which will make B sufficient to Ans as No Jennifer did not pass the section.

Request you to please clear.

Thanks
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 7470
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 330

Kudos [?]: 2211 [1] , given: 162

Re: A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in orde [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 18:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi karant,

We don't know EXACTLY how many questions were correctly answered in the 2nd section - we only know that Jennifer 'passed' the section. Since 'passing' is 75% (or higher), we know that (3/4)(28) = 21 questions were correctly answered AT THE MINIMUM.

Thus, Jennifer COULD have answered 21 to 28 (inclusive) of the questions correctly in the 2nd section. By extension, she COULD have answered 22 to 29 of the 30 questions correctly in the 3rd section.

IF she answered 22 questions, then she did NOT pass the 3rd section.
IF she answered 29 questions, then she DID pass the 3rd section.

Thus, Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests

60-point improvement guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Posts: 70
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 64

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in orde [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2015, 08:59
Thanks Rich !!! Got it now.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in orde [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 11:35
I thought the half meant half time. Like she solved x questions in first 30 mins and y questions in remaining 30 mins in an hour exam. Is it just me or they should be clear that by half they mean number of questions get split in a section.


goodyear2013 wrote:
A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in order to pass each section. Did Jennifer pass the 30-question third section?

(1) Jennifer recorded 8 more correct answers on the second half of the third section than she did on the first half of the third section.
(2) Jennifer answered one more question correctly on the third section than she did on the 28-question second section, which she passed.

Hi, can anyone explain how this question works, please. I am not fully convinced with the answer.

OE:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(1): Fact that if there are only 30 questions total, then there are only 15 questions per half section. That means the MOST she could get right on the second half is 15, and since the second half had 8 more right answers than the first, the most she could have gotten right on the first half is 7 for a total maximum of 22 questions correct. Since she needs 75% to pass, and 22/30 is less than 75% (75% is 3/4 which would be 22.5 out of 30), she cannot pass.
Answer is "no”
Sufficient

(2): Insufficient. If she passed the second section, that means she answered at least 21 questions correctly, meaning that she answered at least 22 correctly (one more than she did on section two) on section three. But since the magic number is 22.5 to have 75% correct, she may not have passed (22) or she may have passed (22 is the minimum, but she could theoretically have gotten as many as 29 right), Insufficient
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 7470
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 330

Kudos [?]: 2211 [2] , given: 162

Re: A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in orde [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 15:10
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi mandarmali,

The prompt makes NO mention of 'time', so your interpretation is questionable. In real basic terms, you have to work with the information that you're given - the prompt refers to a 'passing score' and the number of questions in the third section (and since 'time frames' were not discussed, we have to assume that 'half of the third section' refers to half of the questions).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests

60-point improvement guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2015
Posts: 1
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in orde [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 10:42
Bunuel wrote:
pretzel wrote:
I agree with the explanation for number (2) - maximum correct 28 questions, minimum correct 21 questions.

But I disagree with the explanation for (1). Is it true that whenever there an exam is split into two sections you would have an equal number of questions in each halves? Then again, if the examinee only answered one question correctly in the first half and and nine questions on the second half, he would not have passed the third section.


We are told that Jennifer recorded 8 more correct answers on the second half of the third section than she did on the first half of the third section. So, she recorded 8 more correct answers on the first 15 questions, than she did on the second 15 questions.

A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in order to pass each section. Did Jennifer pass the 30-question third section?

For Jenifer to pass the section must answer at least 3/4*30 = 22.5, so at least 23 questions correct.

(1) Jennifer recorded 8 more correct answers on the second half of the third section than she did on the first half of the third section.

Even if Jenifer answered all 15 questions correctly on the second half and 15-8=7 questions correctly on the first half, she would only get 15+7=22 questions correctly, which is still less than minimum required (23). Thus, she did not pass the section. Sufficient.

(2) Jennifer answered one more question correctly on the third section than she did on the 28-question second section, which she passed.

For Jenifer to pass the second section must have answered at least 3/4*28=21 questions correctly there. Thus she answered at least 21+1=22 questions correctly on the third section, therefore she may or may not have passed the third section. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.




Why is everybody assuming that both first and second had an equal number of questions (ie 15 each)? Where is this mentioned in the question? Isn't this assuming extra info which we are not supposed to do?
GMAT also has a first half and second half and both of them have unequal number of questions. Did nobody found this language confusing?
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 7470
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 330

Kudos [?]: 2211 [0], given: 162

Re: A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in orde [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 11:34
Hi shubhstiws,

The word "half" has a very specific meaning, mathematically-speaking. The prompt tells us one thing about the third section of the test - it consists of 30 questions. When Fact 1 refers to the 'second half' and the 'first half' of the third section, then that can only refer to the number of questions because there's no other reference point that it could refer to (there's no discussion of "points" or "time" or anything else). Thus, those descriptions refer to the last 15 questions in that section and the first 15 questions in that section, respectively.

As an aside, in your example you use the word 'half' incorrectly. The GMAT has 4 sections, not "two halves." While the Quant and Verbal sections both have a 75-minute time limit, the number of questions in each differs, so even if the Test was just those two sections, referring to them generally as 'the first half' and the 'the second half' would be incorrect. You would have to say that 'the first half of your TIME is spent on the Quant section and the second half of your TIME is spent on the Verbal section.'

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests

60-point improvement guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2015
Posts: 29
Schools: Haas EMBA'18
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in orde [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 00:09
ankitsharma872 wrote:
The condition for passing the test is based on 75% score, not the number of questions. Hence, the answer should ideally be 'E' unless it is mentioned that "each question carries equal weightage in the score.


Hi,

I also marked E for the same reason.
Question stem mentions 75% score not 75% questions.
Re: A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in orde   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2016, 00:09
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Every evening Nigel eats half of the cookies in his cookie jar. In ord Bunuel 4 18 Sep 2016, 10:20
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic The average score of x number of exams is y. When an additional exam Bunuel 1 08 Oct 2014, 14:23
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic George scored 85 on an exam. Did George do better than 90 josemnz83 8 07 Jul 2013, 08:57
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic Set X consists of different positive numbers arranged in ascending ord enigma123 6 17 Nov 2011, 16:41
30 Experts publish their posts in the topic For a certain exam, was the standard deviation of the scores gmat1220 13 09 May 2011, 00:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A dental licensure exam requires a 75% minimum score in orde

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.