Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, Terry MBA, University of Miami, HULT MBA, York University
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 23:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:10) correct 56% (01:10) wrong based on 364 sessions
A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils, and pads among the staff in the department, with each staff member receiving x pens, y pencils, and z pads. How many staff members were in the department?

(1) The numbers of pens, pencils, and pads that each staff member received were in the ratio 2:3:4, respectively.
(2) The manager distributed a total of 18 pens, 27 pencils, and 36 pads.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
ANSWER I DID:
BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but neither statement alone is sufficient.

As per OG12:
(1) Each of 10 staff members could have received 2 pens, 3 pencils, and 4 pads, or each of 20 staff members could have received 2 pens, 3 pencils, and 4 pads; NOT sufficient. [Agree]
(2) There could have been 1 staff member who received 18 pens, 27 pencils, and 36 pads, or 3 staff members each of whom received 6 pens, 9 pencils, and 12 pads; NOT sufficient.[Agree]

Assuming both (1) and (2), use the fact that 18:27:36 is equivalent to both 6:9:12 and 2:3:4 to obtain diff erent possibilities for the number of staff . Each of 3 staff members could have received 6 pens, 9 pencils, and 12 pads, or each of 9 staff members could have received 2 pens, 3 pencils, and 4 pads.

Now Here I defer. As per Point 1, its already shown that the ratio is ratio 2:3:4. So, we can clearly choose the staff number is 9.

Can anybody please help me to understand where I am making the mistake in this question?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If Life's a Game, I Play it in my way

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Need Help to Understand [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 03:53
This post received
KUDOS
6:9:12 relate to each other just like 2:3:4 and you get 3 member of staff. That is why you cannot find out exactly how many members tehre are 9 or 3
Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1153

Kudos [?]: 5364 [8] , given: 165

Re: Need Help to Understand [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 07:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
subhabrata1986 wrote:
I am facing problem to understand answer of a OG12 DS question.

Question:
A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils, and pads among the staff in the department, with each staff member receiving x pens, y pencils, and z pads. How many staff members were in the department?
(1) The numbers of pens, pencils, and pads that each staff member received were in the ratio 2:3:4, respectively.

ANSWER I DID:
BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but neither statement alone is sufficient.

As per OG12:
(1) Each of 10 staff members could have received 2 pens, 3 pencils, and 4 pads, or each of 20 staff members could have received 2 pens, 3 pencils, and 4 pads; NOT sufficient. [Agree]
(2) There could have been 1 staff member who received 18 pens, 27 pencils, and 36 pads, or 3 staff members each of whom received 6 pens, 9 pencils, and 12 pads; NOT sufficient.[Agree]

Assuming both (1) and (2), use the fact that 18:27:36 is equivalent to both 6:9:12 and 2:3:4 to obtain diff erent possibilities for the number of staff . Each of 3 staff members could have received 6 pens, 9 pencils, and 12 pads, or each of 9 staff members could have received 2 pens, 3 pencils, and 4 pads.

Now Here I defer. As per Point 1, its already shown that the ratio is ratio 2:3:4. So, we can clearly choose the staff number is 9.

Can anybody please help me to understand where I am making the mistake in this question?

Ok, look the question tells us the following:
Staff Member 1 - x pens, y pencils, z pads
Staff Member 2 - x pens, y pencils, z pads
Staff Member n - x pens, y pencils, z pads
Total no of pens - nx, total no of pencils - ny and total no of pads - nz
Question: What is n?

Stmnt 1: x:y:z = 2:3:4. So values of x, y and z can be 2, 3 and 4 or 4, 6 and 8 or 6, 9 and 12 or any other values in the ratio 2:3:4. They needn't necessarily be 2, 3 and 4. Just the ratio required is 2:3:4.
Of course n can be anything here. Not sufficient.

Stmnt 2: nx = 18, ny = 27 and nz = 36.
Note here that nx:ny:nz = 18:27:36 = 2:3:4 (They had 9 as a common factor)
Since n is a common factor on left side, x:y:z = 2:3:4 (Ratios are best expressed in the lowest form.)

This is a case of what we call "We already knew that." Information given in stmnt 1 is already part of stmnt 2 so it is not possible that stmnt 2 alone is not sufficient but together stmnt 1 and 2 are.

Now to your question:
Why can't we say that the number of staff members must be 9?
Because ratio of 2:3:4 is same as ratio of 6:9:12 which is same as 18:27:36 (When you multiply each number of a ratio by the same number, the ratio remains unchanged).
If 18, 27 and 36 pens, pencils and pads are distributed in the ratio 2:3:4, I could give them all to one person (18:27:36 is the same ratio as 2:3:4), to 3 people (giving them 6 pens, 9 pencils and 12 pads each. 6:9:12 is the same ratio as 2:3:4) or to 9 people (giving them 2 pens, 3 pencils and 4 pads). Hence I don't know how many staff members are there.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 562

A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils, [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 18:08
rashminet84 wrote:

To know the number of people, simply knowing the ratio of division is not enough. Both the statements only provide the ratio of distribution.

Hi Bunuel,
What other information would have made the problem sufficient?

Regards,
Sachin

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 22

Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils, [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 16:48
Economist wrote:

Bump!

Why not B?

If we know that the quantity of goods disbursed was 18/27/36, can we assume that 9 employees received the goods in the ratio 2/3/4?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 22

Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils, [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 17:00
This post received
KUDOS
jogorhu wrote:
Economist wrote:

Can someone clarify how the answer is E.

"Tricky question. ans E

1. 9 employees - each employee get 2 pens, 3 pencils, 4 pads
2. 3 employees - each employee get 6 pens, 9 pencils, 12 pads

in both cases the ratio is 2:3:4"

I found this response from Spider. Answer is E
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [3] , given: 39

Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils, [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 17:11
This post received
KUDOS
I got it only by using common sense. Its not tricky if you think about it .
This shows you how many more pads [b]one person[b] gets compared to the number of pencils or pens he gets.

(2)The manager distributed a total of 18 pens, 27 pencils, and 36 pads.
This can give you an idea how many gadgets are there in total to distribute, but we cannot know how many people will take them.

There can be just one person taking all the 18 pens, 27 pencils, 36 pads (in the proportion of 2:3:4 as stated in (1) )
There can be three people, each taking 6 pens, 9 pencils, 12 pads (2:3:4)
There can be 9 people, each taking 2 pens, 3 pencils, 4 pads (2:3:4)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 22

Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils, [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 17:46
Ivan91 wrote:
I got it only by using common sense. Its not tricky if you think about it .
This shows you how many more pads [b]one person[b] gets compared to the number of pencils or pens he gets.

(2)The manager distributed a total of 18 pens, 27 pencils, and 36 pads.
This can give you an idea how many gadgets are there in total to distribute, but we cannot know how many people will take them.

There can be just one person taking all the 18 pens, 27 pencils, 36 pads (in the proportion of 2:3:4 as stated in (1) )
There can be three people, each taking 6 pens, 9 pencils, 12 pads (2:3:4)
There can be 9 people, each taking 2 pens, 3 pencils, 4 pads (2:3:4)

I love your explanation.

So, 1 person could get 6/9/12, another could get 6/9/12 and another could get 6/9/12

18/27/36 total, spread among 3 people.

But we could also have 9 people, each of which receive the supplies 2/3/4.

Answer is E...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils, [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 00:51
This post received
KUDOS
Answer to this question is E:

Start considering (2) ---> if the manager distributes a total of 18 pens, 27 pencils and 36 pads with each person receiving x pens, y pencils and z pads, means that the number of the staff has to be a factor of both 18,27 and 36. That value could be 3 or 9 --> Not sufficient

Now move to (1) ---> Clearly not sufficient as we do not have any information about the total number of persons or pens,pencils and pads distributed. We have just three ratios.

Considering Together ---> We know form (1) that the number of person should be 3 or 9. If people are 3 we have to distribute 18,27 and 36 --> 6pens, 9pencils, 12 pads for each person. If people are 9 we distribute 2 pens, 3 pencils, 4 pads. In both cases the ratio is the same 2:3:4. Hence not Sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

By the way AMAZING FORUM!
Director
Director

Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 20:53
Karishma,

Thanks for your reply. I have the following doubt..

How do I learn to recognize that there can be multiple instances of sets who have the same ratio..

2:3:4 is the ratio of distribution.

18, 27 and 36 are the actuals distributed..

9 was the first no that came to my mind..

I then multiplied 2 to the ratio to get 4:6:8 and the actuals cannot be distributed in this ratio and I picked the answer to be sufficient...

had I multiplied the ratio by 3, I would have got 6:9:12 and I would have known that the answer is insufficient..

Please help me understand and learn thought process..

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1153

Kudos [?]: 5364 [4] , given: 165

Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:
Karishma,

How do I learn to recognize that there can be multiple instances of sets who have the same ratio..

I then multiplied 2 to the ratio to get 4:6:8 and the actuals cannot be distributed in this ratio and I picked the answer to be sufficient...

had I multiplied the ratio by 3, I would have got 6:9:12 and I would have known that the answer is insufficient..

When you saw 18, 27 and 36, what came to your mind was that the number of people could have been 9 which would mean that he gave 2 pens, 3 pencils and 4 pads. You know that 9 is divisible by 3. That should make you realize that the number of people could have been 3 too which would mean that the manager distributed 6 pens, 9 pencils and 12 pads. 9 does not have 2 as a factor so it will not work.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director

Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 07:09
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
Karishma,

When you saw 18, 27 and 36, what came to your mind was that the number of people could have been 9 which would mean that he gave 2 pens, 3 pencils and 4 pads. You know that 9 is divisible by 3. That should make you realize that the number of people could have been 3 too which would mean that the manager distributed 6 pens, 9 pencils and 12 pads. 9 does not have 2 as a factor so it will not work.

This was amazing, thanks a lot..

Intern
Intern
Sat: V
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-22-2013
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2013, 14:31
subhabrata1986 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
ANSWER I DID:

As per OG12:

In both options essentially the same information is provided. When you realize that statement 1 is insufficient and that 1 and 2 are effectively same info. immediately mark E.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 16:47
I think answer is B. the explanation from the people considering the answer as E is missing the point that option b also tells the total. Hence don't just conclude that b provide the same information as a ( ratio), why are you not considering the total provided in b and the fact that each employee receives the pen, pencils,.. In same ratio.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3607

Kudos [?]: 28803 [0], given: 2849

Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 22:17
Expert's post
sanjaykvbsingh wrote:

I think answer is B. the explanation from the people considering the answer as E is missing the point that option b also tells the total. Hence don't just conclude that b provide the same information as a ( ratio), why are you not considering the total provided in b and the fact that each employee receives the pen, pencils,.. In same ratio.

The correct answer is E.

There can be two cases:
There can be 9 managers each receiving 2 pens, 3 pencils and 4 pads.
There can be 3 managers each receiving 6 pens, 9 pencils and 12 pads.

Does this make sense?

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Other
GMAT Date: 07-31-2014
GPA: 3.99
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 6

Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils [#permalink] New post 18 May 2014, 10:06
This post received
KUDOS
Statement (1) tells us the ratio of pens, pencils, and pads that each staff member received, but there is no way to tell how many staff members there actually are.

Statement (2) tells us that 18 pens, 27 pencils, and 36 pads were distribued. Note that the overall total is in the ratio of 2 pens:3 pencils:4pads mentioned in Statement (1). However, there is still no way to know how many staff members there are just by knowing the total number of pens/pencils/pads distributed.

Combining (1) & (2) we know the ratio of pens:pencils:pads for each staff member and the total distributed among all staff, but we still cannot say for sure how many staff members there are. We do not know how many pens/pencils/pads were given to each staff member...only the ratio in which they were distributed. There are several possibilities that would satisfy (1) and (2)...for example,

2 pens/3 pencils/4 pads for each staff member, 9 staff members total = 18 pens, 27 pencils, 36 pads

OR

6 pens/9 pencils/12 pads for each staff member, 3 staff members total = 18 pens, 27 pencils, 36 pads

and other examples would work as well. There could even be only 1 staff member who gets all 18 pens, 27 pencils, and 36 pads.

Hence E
Intern
Intern
Schools: WBUT - Class of 2011
GMAT Date: 01-06-2014
GPA: 2.6
WE: Research (Education)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 6

Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 02:58
Why not C?

Statement 1 is saying pens: pencils: pads 2:3:4 to each office staff.

Statement 2 is saying total number of pens 18 pencils 27 pads 36

1+2

Staff 1 2:3:4

Staff 2 4: 6: 8

Staff 3 6: 9: 12

Staff 4 8: 12: 16

Staff 5 10: 15: 20

Staff 6 12: 18: 24

Staff 7 14: 21: 28

Staff 9 16: 24: 32

Staff 9 18: 27: 36

So total no of staff is 9.

Bunuel wrote:
sanjaykvbsingh wrote:

The correct answer is E.

There can be two cases:

Does this make sense?

If you like my post give me kudos.

Arindam Sur
Researcher, Academian

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3607

Kudos [?]: 28803 [0], given: 2849

Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 06:09
Expert's post
arindamsur wrote:
Why not C?

Statement 1 is saying pens: pencils: pads 2:3:4 to each office staff.

Statement 2 is saying total number of pens 18 pencils 27 pads 36

1+2

Staff 1 2:3:4

Staff 2 4: 6: 8

Staff 3 6: 9: 12

Staff 4 8: 12: 16

Staff 5 10: 15: 20

Staff 6 12: 18: 24

Staff 7 14: 21: 28

Staff 9 16: 24: 32

Staff 9 18: 27: 36

So total no of staff is 9.

Bunuel wrote:
sanjaykvbsingh wrote:

The correct answer is E.

There can be two cases:

Does this make sense?

Post you quote shows two different cases...

There can also be 3 members each receiving 6 pens, 9 pencils and 12 pads.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils   [#permalink] 21 May 2014, 06:09